Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What is the Best 1.0 Litre Engine Car?

Options
  • 14-04-2008 11:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭

The missus is looking at getting a new 1.0 litre runaround. The following are what I know are available:

Chevrolet Matiz
    Citroen C1
    Kia Picanto
    Peugeot 107
    Toyota Aygo

Any recommendations from the above or other recommendations. Assume it would be better to wait until the 1st July for VRT and tax reductions before buying?.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭FibbersON

The Citroen Peugeot and Toyota are the same base car, I think the Citroen is the cheapest of those 3

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

The Toyota has a longer warranty period (1 year more, afaik) than its two French siblings, which may be worth something to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭dylbert

Don't forget the Micra, my sister has one which I borrowed while my car was off the road, it's a great little car.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭alpina

May not suit you now but maybe interested in this in the future. It's 1.2 but going on Co2 levels what does it matter.

http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/volkswagen-world/news/2008/03/03

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Chevrolet Matiz is a nippy little car 64Bhp! the mother has one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

alpina wrote: »
    May not suit you now but maybe interested in this in the future. It's 1.2 but going on Co2 levels what does it matter.

http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/volkswagen-world/news/2008/03/03

83mpg, marketing BS there me thinks, if the Pruis is anything to go by.

The Corsa is another option, GM/Opel seem to be getting their act together nowadays.

From looking at E92s vrt sticky at the top of the motoring section, You can expect to save something around €1000 when the new vrt comes out then, so I would say hang on. Although it depends on if your trading in something that is also going to drop in value, What does the missus have at the minute?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭Paulzx

Corsa and Micra are not in the same size segmant as Aygo, C1 and 107 and will cost a good few grand more to buy new

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Micra 1.0 was discontinued in 04 AFAIK. don't forget the Hyundai i10 at €12,750 on the road (1.1 though)

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭barryfitz

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Micra 1.0 was discontinued in 04 AFAIK. don't forget the Hyundai i10 at €12,750 on the road (1.1 though)

Was going to suggets this aswell.

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=search&maxrows=100&MakeID=11&xMakeID=11&ModelID=2204&xModelID=2204&Year=&xYear=&submit=Find+cars+%3E%3E

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

New Fiat 500 is available too but smallest engine is 1.2 litre.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Why does it have to be a 1.0? With our new VRT system, most larger engines won't have any road tax penalty(and even if they do, it's in all probability €50, or not even €2 a week) but you would get better performance as well.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Yaris?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

import a daihatsu charade turbo ( 1.0 ) for around 8k new... man there a nippy little rocket !

if not go for the pincanto

S.I.R wrote: »
    import a daihatsu charade turbo ( 1.0 ) for around 8k new... man there a nippy little rocket !

if not go for the pincanto

that's 8k plus VAT@21%, import duty @10% and VRT at whatever percent?

hard to recommend the Piccanto over the newer i30 IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

A not-very-likely choice:

Subaru Justy

Max_Damage wrote: »
    A not-very-likely choice:

Subaru Justy

Not very likely because you can get a Daihatsu Sirion (The exact same car)
    for €500 less...

Not very likely because you can get a Daihatsu Sirion (The exact same car)
    for €500 less...

Don't they still come with 4WD?

No, it's just a rebadged Sirion now.

Interestingly, the Toyota Yaris, Toyota Aygo, Citroen C1, Peugeot 107, Daihatsu Sirion, Subaru Justy and Daihatsu Charade all use the exact same engine,

In fact the only 1.0 cars not to use this Toyota-Daihatsu 3 cylinder VVT-i engine are the Chevrolet Matiz, Kia Picanto and Opel Corsa.

No, it's just a rebadged Sirion now.

Interestingly, the Toyota Yaris, Toyota Aygo, Citroen C1, Peugeot 107, Daihatsu Sirion, Subaru Justy and Daihatsu Charade all use the exact same engine,

In fact the only 1.0 cars not to use this Toyota-Daihatsu 3 cylinder VVT-i engine are the Chevrolet Matiz, Kia Picanto and Opel Corsa.

Ha! Looking at that, it would nearly seem there is not many 1 litre 4-pot engines around anymore!

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Chevrolet Matiz is a nippy little car 64Bhp! the mother has one

+1 I had a Matiz, and it was a great little run-around! Great for parking and nipping around in!

• Advertisement
Advertisement