Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Level crossings around Laois

Options
  • 14-04-2008 11:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi

I'm an art student doing work on my final year project. I lived in Laois up till the time I was 16 (I'm 19 now) and wish to base my project around where I grew up.

I'm looking to take photographs of working level crossings around the county. In particular I'd love some around Portarlington - but anywhere in the country is great.

I'd go down and have a look myself for some except I don't have a car or the time right now. So, please, if you know of any good level crossings, let me know.

Thanks
    Helena

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,464 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

just thinking out loud here.....

theres one out in derryvilla (edenderry road) for bog trains, im fairly sure its still in operation.

Theres another one before the bridge before cloneygowen, again probably still in use, although its close to a turn so may not be the safest.

cannot think of any more off hand....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭ports best

that one out at cloneygowan syd is no longer in use, and i duno about the one near derryvilla,

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Blackthorn Man

Haven't seen them Locos' or level crossings in action for years. Try to get a phone number for the Bord NaMona works in Clonsast (Cushina) and someone there would tell you pretty quick.
    We used to drive the drivers mad in the summer. We'd change the track layout and hide in the long bushes until the driver would go past and go on a bit til he realised he was gone completely wrong and had to reverse. The shouts and roars of them was gas. Hours and hours of fun was had by all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

ports best wrote: »
    that one out at cloneygowan syd is no longer in use, and i duno about the one near derryvilla,

The one in Deeryvilla is still working and this as far as i know runs across into cushina. The loc's are defo still working because they do go by me when im out on the bog with the dog and gun. As far as i know its not really for peat purpoes they are gonna run them, i think the are regenerating the lines for tourism now..... i think.

Ports best - remember the good old days when he power station was there and the loco's were taking the turf up to it from the bog!!!!!

I remember the power station and stuff stevoman jaysus thats a long time ago, do ya remember the power station been blown up stevoman

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

yeah how could i forget. nad lui melia on the news singing the tower i loved so well!

ya wudnt see it anywhere but ireland... Hows the new addition stevoman

Advertisement