Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

complete novice question , CPU fans

Options
  • 14-04-2008 11:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭

Hi

Is there away to find out my fan size by the processor , IE make speed type etc.

my Fan has started clicking over the weekend and is doing my head in.

ive popped it off and back on again but it needs replacing.

is there a standard size?

can i jsut walk into PC world and pick one up and click it in?

any recommendations greatly appreciated .

Cheers

Eoin

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

eoinf wrote: »
    Hi

Is there away to find out my fan size by the processor , IE make speed type etc.

my Fan has started clicking over the weekend and is doing my head in.

ive popped it off and back on again but it needs replacing.

is there a standard size?

can i jsut walk into PC world and pick one up and click it in?

any recommendations greatly appreciated .

Cheers

Eoin

im sure you could but why not just get a soldering kit , a small 9 volt motor and just a cd into a fan shape attach to a usb port and that will keep it cool for the time being ?? cheapist solution i can think of...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

What socket type is your processor, the likes of Dabs or Komplett have fans for as little as 7/8 euro for basic ones. That is, whole heatsink/fan ensemble.

Whether or not you can just throw on a new basic case fan onto the heatsink depends on what processor/current heatsink you have.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

S.I.R wrote: »
    im sure you could but why not just get a soldering kit , a small 9 volt motor and just a cd into a fan shape attach to a usb port and that will keep it cool for the time being ?? cheapist solution i can think of...

This has to be a joke.

OP, your best bet would be to detail what the make and model of the CPU is. Maybe even take a picture of the inside of your case and post it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭eoinf

L31mr0d wrote: »
    This has to be a joke.

OP, your best bet would be to detail what the make and model of the CPU is. Maybe even take a picture of the inside of your case and post it.

cheers was begining to wonder what that "fix" was about

will do a little investigation to which cpu it is later when i get home

off hand its a P4 2.8ghz . does this narrow it down .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭eoinf

ok couldnt find any info bar its a P4 2.8ghz in an oldish Emachine PC.

If i pulled out the fan and brought it to PC world would they match it up?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqfEPltnb7Y&feature=related

knew i wasnt the first to think of it... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

That video is how to make a (poor) desktop fan, not a cpu cooling fan. I wouldn't recommend someone stick that inside a computer case, or even put it on your desk for that matter, looks dangerous!

eoinf wrote: »
    ok couldnt find any info bar its a P4 2.8ghz in an oldish Emachine PC.

If i pulled out the fan and brought it to PC world would they match it up?

It's probably a standard 478 heatsink/fan, they'll have replacements. Looks something like this, yes?

53840.300x300.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

S.I.R wrote: »
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqfEPltnb7Y&feature=related

knew i wasnt the first to think of it... :rolleyes:

are you for real?

KamiKazi wrote: »
    are you for real?

Back to the shop: "What do you mean I've invalidated the warranty?? This is standard internet stuff. Everyone does it.....man"

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Back to the shop: "What do you mean I've invalidated the warranty?? This is standard internet stuff. Everyone does it.....man"

huh?

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭skuzzb

Is is this machine here???

E Machines 770

http://support.pcworld.co.uk/layout.aspx?ID={18652fe1-97e8-4458-83b4-5c838c85b7ab}&CatID={cfede90c-c10a-4238-a615-d30595fbf201}

If so I have the exact machine for parts and can guarantee a fit. Ill post an add up on adverts.ie so as not to annoy the mods if it is and you want it.

*edit* Just had a look there and if it is the same pc, Plug the pc out, unscre the 4 screws around the fan, pull it out(just the fan, not the silver coloured block), bring it to maplins peats or pc world or look on line for a 70x70 mm fan that has a high rpm.

Advertisement