Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this ban OTT?

Options
  • 14-04-2008 11:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I feel it is...http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055272839&page=6

It all starts here, just read what Marksie posts to me and then my reply back..

Then he pm's me...
    Banned PI.

total 1 month for second comment.

I will not get into a PM argument so take it straight to Feedback.

So I wrote back:
    lol the truth hurts

Then he writes back:
    You really have problems dont you

Then I write back:
    I think you do...Just because i backed up what i said, it hurt you...i don't blame you...i'd feel pretty useless if i went out with a whore too.

So then I get a permanent ban from PI.

I suppose everyone thinks I deserve that don't i?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

link doesn't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Should now

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

You were out of line imo. Thought so then, think so now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Link works, OP is a demonstrable idiot, permaban deserved IMO.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Works for me.

I don't agree with the ban at all (assuming that no posts have been deleted), and I actually agree with your comments. That said, it is in PI, and the moderating standard is different there.

EDIT: :confused: somethings not right. Wait a second.

2nd EDIT: I didn't see all of the comments (I thought that it was the extreme sport one.) . Ban deserved IMO, that was pretty much personal abuse.

I think it's a little harsh.

quite surprised I agree with you [considering it's marksie], but there you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Sorry dude, but you totally deserved it. You were bringing the thread off topic and you were being more than a little 'smart'. Had you kept it polite and civil I have no doubt you wouldn't have been banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I've stopped posting as much in PI for situations like that. The banned user makes a valid point and backed it up with facts and figures. Was he banned because the situation was a little too close to home for the mod or was the mod impartial when making the call? Everybody's a little too sensitive in PI anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭FunkyChicken

Ban marksie for sleeping with a whore

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Haven't read the PI charter, but is being a dickhead a bannable offence?

OK, I think some people are making the same mistake I made.
    The comment that got him banned is not on page 6, it is at the start of page 7. (OP links to page 6)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Maarksie got personal first with the high horse statement of " i know how stupid your comment is" (post #90) No need for that. If that wasn't said it wouldn't have provoked a response.
    Unlucky cheesey, as you won't get it over turned.

This one?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

I have nothing against Marksie but the original ban was way harsh

Cheesedude gave his opinion (crass as it may have been its the way he felt, we cant all be a shoulder to cry on), was called childish and streotypical so posts a reason for his opinion and gets banned

Way too harsh but will never be over turned because that's the way it goes around here

lordgoat wrote: »
    Maarksie got personal first with the high horse statement of " i know how stupid your comment is" (post #90) No need for that. If that wasn't said it wouldn't have provoked a response.
    Unlucky cheesey, as you won't get it over turned.

I agree, I think this is why the ban was harsh. I think Marksie banned him, not because of an abuse of the charter, but because he didn't like the OP's point of view. The OP was being a bit of a smartarse, but didn't deserve a ban.

IMHO, of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,214 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Did mark permit you to post those PMs?

I dont agree with the content of the posts, but nor do I have any experience in the topic.

unfortunately Marksie:
    Marksie wrote:
    You know, a few years back i was in a realtionship with a woman who had been on the game. she told me quite early on.

So I know how silly, childish and immature such as this post is.

Im aware of the policy on personal insults. While you seem compelled to spell out you're attacking the post here, it still clearly reads as an attack on the poster. It would have sufficed to say anything like 'misinformed'; but 'silly, childish and immature' - definitely reads like a personal insult.
    Cheesdude wrote:
    LOL hate that. Why didn't you marry her? Maybe have a few kids too? Your clueless.

Cheesdude instead of reporting Marskie's post (or similar) and then posting that, you really didnt help your case. This was a direct and offensive personal insult.

Given the personal conflict thats erupted out of this between both Marksie and Dublindude, I would have to suggest a second opinion by another PI Mod. I have nothing against either of you and I respect Marksie's knowledge of things in a lot of areas; but if it were me, I'd personally infract you both. Both appear to have acted emotionally.

As well as the infractions I'd give you both:
    Cheesedude wrote:
    I think you do...Just because i backed up what i said, it hurt you...i don't blame you...i'd feel pretty useless if i went out with a whore too.

Way, way out of line. Take the permaban from PI as a favor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,395 ✭✭✭Marksie

Simple: temporary ban for the in thread comments.

Offensive PM comment resulted in permanent ban.

Thats the simple straightforward reasoning.

If you believe that i permanently banned you because I am a mod and could. I will state now for the record, that any poster who sent me a PM complaining about another poster PMing them with comments like that. i would check the veracity and if true it would result in the poster whho was being offensive being permanently banned.

tbh wrote: »
    I agree, I think this is why the ban was harsh. I think Marksie banned him, not because of an abuse of the charter, but because he didn't like the OP's point of view. The OP was being a bit of a smartarse, but didn't deserve a ban.

IMHO, of course.

Ya i agree, so we can all sit and wait here for nothing to happen!

tbh wrote: »
    This one?

No, thats what I thought. The offending one is further on.

• Advertisement

Overheal wrote: »
    Did mark permit you to post those PMs?

No i didn't

Overheal wrote: »
    Given the personal conflict thats erupted out of this between both Marksie and Dublindude, I would have to suggest a second opinion by another PI Mod. If it were me, I'd personally infract you both.

Already done Overheal. I stepped away and sent it up the line

Marksie wrote: »
    Simple: temporary ban for the in thread comments.

Offensive PM comment resulted in permanent ban.

Thats the simple straightforward reasoning.

If you believe that i permanently banned you because I am a mod and could. I will state now for the record, that any poster who sent me a PM complaining about another poster PMing them with comments like that. i would check the veracity and if true it would result in the poster whho was being offensive being permanently banned.

But you goaded him into an insulting response. You got personal first. Way out of line. All this would have been avoided if you had acted more mature.

No i didn't
    TBH, there is nothing wrong with sticking up moderating PMs IMO. I always view them rather like official notices, rather than private communications.

EDIT: Also, I don't think you have the authority to permanently ban him for the insulting PMs.
    I can't ban someone in one of my forums if they insult me in AH or politics, and I would have said that insulting PMs should have been passed on to the SMODs, rather than dealt with yourself (just IMO).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

i know how stupid your comment is - thats attacking the post and not the poster, am I right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

So I know how silly, childish and immature such as this post is

reads as a personal attack to me

the pm was by someone who had been personally attacked

seems to me marksie started it, i'm probably wrong tho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I think the ban regarded the on-thread discussion was unwarranted. Marksie started it with the 'childish, immature' comment regarding cheesedudes opinion that was backed up by recent statistics. I'm not saying cheesedude's tack was stellar by the way, but he's no more guilty of ban warranting behavior then Marksie.

Permanent ban from PI was also a little extreme, though cheesedudes comments were a bit...no, totally...dickhead-ish, I still think a permanent ban from PI is just an equally childish response to a situation like that.

No, thats what I thought. The offending one is further on.

No it was for the whole series of posts in that thread, dragging it off topic and sunsequently abuse, and then a further comment until the ban took effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,214 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

6th wrote: »
    i know how stupid your comment is - thats attacking the post and not the poster, am I right?

Havent read it clearly. Too lazy to log out again and have a check.

note to self; speak with Victor..

On the outside though it read like a bait. I wouldve hoped Cheesedude would have stopped himself before clicking POST though. Cheesedude you had all the tact of a butter knife ;)

No it was for the whole series of posts in that thread, dragging it off topic and sunsequently abuse, and then a further comment until the ban took effect.

You do know people can read the thread and see why you banned him right? Sorry to get smart but it's very obvious to what happened. Also the fact that you haven't responded to anyone in this thread that has said that your initial comment started the whole thing speaks volumes. Care to ignore this comment too???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Einstein

Temporary ban fully justified IMO. Cheesedude brought the perm ban on himself.
    As mentioned in the thread, the facts and figures were from a country where prostitution is illegal. So not really relative to the thread.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement