Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this ban OTT?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,395 ✭✭✭Marksie

that insulting PMs should have been passed on to the SMODs, rather than dealt with yourself (just IMO).

It was.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Marksie wrote: »
    No it was for the whole series of posts in that thread, dragging it off topic and sunsequently abuse, and then a further comment until the ban took effect.
    Except that, aside from the tone, there was nothing wrong with most of his posts, he had even backed them up with statistics. He was no more off topic than, well, everyone else. And, there is nothing against the rules with posting before you actually ban him......

.....so that leaves the -very mild- abuse, which you trumped first.....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

6th wrote: »
    i know how stupid your comment is - thats attacking the post and not the poster, am I right?

I have had this debate in here more than once at this stage

I believe calling someones post stupid, is the equivalent of calling their opinion stupid.

How about picking points in the post and debunking them with some solid logic. That's attacking a post.

lordgoat wrote: »
    You do know people can read the thread and see why you banned him right? Sorry to get smart but it's very obvious to what happened. Also the fact that you haven't responded to anyone in this thread that has said that your initial comment started the whole thing speaks volumes. Care to ignore this comment too???

No, i actually am using a laptop and haven't got used to to it.. and i can only type so fast :).

Nope the comment was aimed at the post. You will either believe it or not. Thats of course your choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

I agree with Tbh, despite how much I dislike cheesedude.

• Advertisement

Nope the comment was aimed at the post. You will either believe it or not. Thats of course your choice.

Ah soo it begins the "I was attacking the post not the poster" defence

It was.
    But you did deal with it yourself, by changing his temp ban to a permanent ban for something said in a PM, and not actually on the forum which he is now banned from.

To be quite honest, you were unable to remain impartial in the thread topic given your personal history concerning it, let your emotions take over and used your mod powers because you could. This isn't good moderation, you should have just handed over the modding of that thread to one of the other PI mods when you felt that you couldn't make an impartial moderation decision, which you didn't.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

No, i actually am using a laptop and haven't got used to to it.. and i can only type so fast :).

No worries on the response time but that is a really ****ty response.

And anyone with any intelligence can see that (as said earlier) calling someone's resonse stupid is the same as calling them stupid. To argue otherwise is pretty childish and immature...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

OP, get the fuck out. If you sent something as abusive as that PM to a normal user I wouldn't be surprised if you got a temporary siteban.

Ibid wrote: »
    OP, get the fuck out. If you sent something as abusive as that PM to a normal user I wouldn't be surprised if you got a temporary siteban.
    Actually, I've a fair few abusive pm's from him, if an smod would care to take a look and perhaps enforce a siteban?

Edit: I'm probably to blame for some of them though...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

rb, you must have abusive PMs from most people on here at this stage! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 83,214 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

rb_ie wrote: »
    But you did deal with it yourself, by changing his temp ban to a permanent ban for something said in a PM, and not actually on the forum which he is now banned from.

To be quite honest, you were unable to remain impartial in the thread topic given your personal history concerning it, let your emotions take over and used your mod powers because you could. This isn't good moderation, you should have just handed over the modding of that thread to one of the other PI mods when you felt that you couldn't make an impartial moderation decision, which you didn't.

i must agree. in this situation it would have been prudent to ask another mod to step in. he merited the tempban all on his own, but there was no sense in jumping to a permaban when, technically speaking, there would be a whole month to think that decision over: certainly plenty of time to hear back from an SMod/+.

sure im to blame for his new avatar: i was trying to mock him :D;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

RE*AC*TOR wrote: »
    Haven't read the PI charter, but is being a dickhead a bannable offence?

The admin expect posters to post civilly, which means not being a dickhead.

Surprisingly I don't! Got quite a few compliments mind you...and a few happy birthday pm's from people I've never seen posting too!

Here's some gems from Cheesedude, since he doesn't mind posting pm's without consent.
    Do you want to know something depressing? When was the last time you felt confident with the way you look?

I don't even know you but I guarantee you that you look like ****...stuck inside a computer room all day struggling to breathe...

"When i grow up i want to be a computer programmer" ...but your parents just look at you and are like "Will you ever become a social normal person and do normal things?"
    Your not worth my time. Good luck in AA you drug addict.
    Good man yeah...is that a recent photo of you? Your mum looks proud of you...i thought she had more facial hair?

Is this your favourite song?

My pokemon bring all the nerds to the yard, and they're like you wanna trade cards? Darn right, I wanna trade cards, I'll trade this but not my charizard.
    stop distracting me, i have gotta make it to my "SMALL STAKES STUDY GROUP" i don't want to let the guys down...

my mum already hates me...let me go to the study group to try make some real friends...

All resulted from me just sending lolcats and pictures of bananas to him as replys to his abuse, he's a very angry individual tbh and could probably do with a bit of time off the site.

Overheal wrote: »
    sure im to blame for his new avatar: i was trying to mock him :D;)
    Lol, some love it, some hate it :D

its funny because he knows charizard is the rare one :)

edit: has anyone seen my vaporeon?

its funny because he knows charizard is the rare one :)

edit: has anyone seen my vaporeon?
    Wow I'm genuinely lol'ing at that.

rb_ie wrote: »
    Lol, some love it, some hate it :D

Who the fcuk is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Ban deserved imo.

• Advertisement

Vegeta wrote: »
    Who the fcuk is it?
    Chris Crocker

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Vegeta wrote: »
    Who the fcuk is it?

It's "Leave Britney Alone Guy" , makes an awesome appearance in the new series of South Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Seth Green rocks!

*cough back on topic.. my apologies i think i de-railed the thread.

cheesedude up for a temporary siteban then?

*cough back on topic.. my apologies i think i de-railed the thread.

cheesedude up for a temporary siteban then?
    I second this motion. He needs a bit of time to cool off, the dude could easily be the next poster boy for "Internet. Serious Business".

I'll also add that it was only on the 31/3/08 that I got those pm's from him, so it's not like it's just the odd time that he's freaking out/abusing people, it appears to be a somewhat consistent thing lately.

i must agree. in this situation it would have been prudent to ask another mod to step in. he merited the tempban all on his own, but there was no sense in jumping to a permaban when, technically speaking, there would be a whole month to think that decision over: certainly plenty of time to hear back from an SMod/+.

The SMOD in question i dont think is online Overheal.
    The temporary ban was on friday.
    The jump you described to a permanent ban occurred today. The interim time was my sending the information off to the SMOD and awaiting the reply.

So in effect I did exactly what you said, i stepped away from the issue completely until i had received notification of how to proceed. This was done precisely on the principle that there would be percieved bias in my actions. Thus an independent view should be sought on whether it was sufficient to simply allow the month to pass.

The SMOD in question i dont think is online Overheal.
    The temporary ban was on friday.
    The jump you described to a permanent ban occurred today. The interim time was my sending the information off to the SMOD and awaiting the reply.

So in effect I did exactly what you said, i stepped away from the issue completely until i had received notification of how to proceed. This was done precisely on the principle that there would be percieved bias in my actions. Thus an independent view should be sought on whether it was sufficient to simply allow the month to pass.

oh ok. good stuff. i thought this was all spurr of the moment stuff - see what happens when im not allowed to read PI? :(*sigh.

anyway the current view seems to be cheesedude has gone from extra 'mature' to moldy as of late..

edit: aww crap MY CHEESE! i need to go make toast brb.

edit2: nope the mold got it. damn you kilmeaden ill fillet of cheese YOU.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Ban 100% deserved. Cheesedude's comments demonstrating his hatred of women with a less than virginal past are highly offensive (not just former prostitutes, girls who've had one-night stands) but he's within his rights to occupy such a hate-filled position - although maybe he should do something to help him release his anger before things get really nasty.

Anyway, it's not as if Marksie banned him for his first few comments - indeed, appalling as they are, they're not bannable. Plus Marksie definitely only attacked the post and not the poster when talking about his ex who had revealed to him she worked as a prostitute (which he didn't know about when he met her so those who are making smart comments about how he "goes for" prostitutes can shut the FUKK up). It was Cheesedude's nasty response that got him banned:
    LOL hate that. Why didn't you marry her? Maybe have a few kids too? Your clueless.
    Obviously abusive. I fail to see how it isn't. And then he goes and abuses Marksie via pm? Deserves a site ban - it's perfectly reasonable for a moderator to extend a ban on the grounds of getting personal abuse in relation to same. No doubt cheesedude will accuse me of being biased because he once sent me a pm saying "Go fukk yourself" (which landed him a temporary site ban). That's beside the point. He was personally abusive, which gets people banned. End of.

• Advertisement

Dudess wrote: »
    No doubt cheesedude will accuse me of being biased because he once sent me a pm saying "Go fukk yourself" (which landed him a temporary site ban).

Ah ha, so he's already had a siteban for abuse before (and therefore has demonstrated his inability to learn from his mistakes). Perhaps a longer one this time around? It'd be no loss to boards if it were a permanent one though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement