Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this ban OTT?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I'm not talking about the prostitution - it would be naive of me to say that there's nothing wrong with it. I'm talking about how people think it's some sort of character flaw for Marksie to have accepted this girl.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,216 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Did you think that maybe some people (not me, I even think there is a case for legalisation), find selling your body for money disgusting? That maybe they see it as something very bad, and a sign of the type of person that they are, that they are capable of trading themselves, and as such, not something that can easily be left behind, just by stopping?
    Just because you stop doing something, doesn't mean that you aren't the same person who did it in the first place.
    I'm saying this really badly, but I don't think people are necessarily childish, or insecure, because they won't just write off everything that someone did in the past.

Fortunately, theres two or more sides to everything. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2008/04/13/wvirgin113.xml&CMP=ILC-mostviewedbox

It wouldn't have been childish to remember someone's past. But labelling an entire demographic of people (aka former or current prostitutes) is just stupid. Every one of them would have their own reasons, motives, and stories to tell. From extra cash for school, family tradition, to being forced into the black-market people-trade.

Its one thing to have an opinion but its another to attack the right of someone else to theirs.

And the term "whore" is horribly misogynistic. So what if it's correct? "Bastard" is also correct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

All of this, of course, has sweet fa to do with the banning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Dudess wrote: »
    It's so sad that there are people here (not just cheesedude) who view the above as a sign of weakness or failure.

you could argue that it's equally sad that there are people here who find it sad that there are people here (not just cheesedude) who view the above as a sign of weakness or failure.

The guy is entitled to an opinion, whether you and I agree with him or not is really irrelevant, and his opinions don't make him any better or worse than you or me.

The reality is, the way he expressed that opinion just paints him as a muppet to anyone who's opinion would really count anyway. So that's his "punishment". That, and the fact that as long as he thinks it's acceptible to express yourself like that, he'll never have any influence, anywhere really.

But the fact that those are the values he holds, and that those principles that are important to him, doesn't make him sad, just different.

And tbh, that's why I thought the ban was harsh. I felt marksies original post (childish blah blah) was judgemental. I get that marksie feels that the op is in the wrong for thinking the way he does. Just express your opinion, intelligent people know the score with people like cheesedude.

Having said that tho, I had never heard of the guy before this thread, if he's posting crap all over the place then it's the final straw, and that's fair enough.

I'm just wondering tho if this is part of an effort to "up the tone" on certain boards. I'm all for it, if it is, but lets set the rules out for everyone :)

• Advertisement

tbh wrote: »
    I'm just wondering tho if this is part of an effort to "up the tone" on certain boards. I'm all for it, if it is, but lets set the rules out for everyone :)

though I'd love to comment; lets save that for another thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

I'm the smod that Marksie is talking about. He understood that he was getting personally involved so asked me to have a look.

If the pm exchange was between cheesedude and a non-mod poster on PI then I would be speaking with him myself. Instead - I advised a permanent ban from PI, maybe my mistake was not actually banning him myself, so in that respect, it was in effect my decision to ban cheesedude, so please forward this aspect towards me.

Imo, cheesedude was being intentionally nasty. That's my opinion, and it is pretty clear to me that he was being intentionally hurtful with his comments. I have a friend that had a relationship with a prostitute and they both did love each other, and it all ended in heartbreak. And I know exactly how he would feel if he was on the receiving end of cheesedudes comments.

In the pm exchange cheesedude was out of line by being intentionally hurtful, disrespectful and nasty. I'm not sure if the complete PM exchange has been posted (nice work on posting the PM convo without asking cheesedude..) but imo it puts cheesedude in a very bad light.

As for the initial ban, I totally agree with it.

As for the initial comment that many think sparked this off
    So I know how silly, childish and immature such as this post is.
    Imo, when I see this kind of comment by a poster then I let the other poster reply. If the reply is in the same vein as the comment then equilibrium exists and we move on. Cheesedude directly insulted Marksie on post 91, so he got banned.
    Maybe if cheesedude wasn't so abrasive generally then he wouldn't have been banned straight away. Who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

rb_ie that's really rich..your so immature, you totally goaded me on...why don't u post all the pm's u sent me?

Ah whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

I haven't read the original thread. For the first time ever, I am posting in Feedback on one of these threads without having read the thread which is the subject.

Why?
    I think you do...Just because i backed up what i said, it hurt you...i don't blame you...i'd feel pretty useless if i went out with a whore too.
    'Nuff said, tbh, and it's not as if it's an isolated, spur of the moment, atypical comment in a fit of temper.
    tbh wrote:
    Having said that tho, I had never heard of the guy before this thread, if he's posting crap all over the place then it's the final straw, and that's fair enough.
    Well, put it this way, TBH, I have no-one on "ignore" on this site, never have had ... but my finger has hovered over the button with this guy a few times, and I don't even see him around that often.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

cheesedude wrote: »
    rb_ie that's really rich..your so immature, you totally goaded me on...why don't u post all the pm's u sent me?

Ah whatever.
    You mean the lolcats and bananas? Well, I'm sorry if pictures of bananas annoy you, but that's your problem and not mine. I merely replied to your psychotic ramblings with funny pictures, along with a link to a page explaining the difference between "you're" and "your", which is something I see you still haven't learnt.

It's quite funny that you're calling me immature given that
    a: You pm'd me absolutely crazy, dreamt up crap in an attempt to abuse me
    b: Look at your signature
    c: You've a full thread of people giving out about how abusive you've been lately and you've been attacking people out of blue, yet you follow up on this by attempting to have a dig at me yet again.

I'm sure you feel that everyone else has a problem, and that you're completely fine in everything you've done lately, but you might want to re-examine the situation and you might find that you're the problem and how lucky you are to still have access to the website.

• Advertisement

The internet gets the better of me sometimes...

You're blaming the internet for your Hulk issues?

Cheesedude Smash!

Seriously though you've been here a while. What's up with you lately? I can't imagine you've been around here this long like that. I've only taken notice to you in the last month or so and sure you seem freshly opinionated but - well, who took the curds out of your Mozarella?

The guy is entitled to an opinion, whether you and I agree with him or not is really irrelevant, and his opinions don't make him any better or worse than you or me.

The reality is, the way he expressed that opinion just paints him as a muppet to anyone who's opinion would really count anyway. So that's his "punishment". That, and the fact that as long as he thinks it's acceptible to express yourself like that, he'll never have any influence, anywhere really.

But the fact that those are the values he holds, and that those principles that are important to him, doesn't make him sad, just different.

And tbh, that's why I thought the ban was harsh. I felt marksies original post (childish blah blah) was judgemental. I get that marksie feels that the op is in the wrong for thinking the way he does. Just express your opinion, intelligent people know the score with people like cheesedude.
    I don't buy the "they're entitled to their opinion" argument though. I mean, some people are of the opinion that all those with down's syndrome should be thrown in a hole and left to rot. Where does one draw the line? I think it would be kinda dangerous in some cases to accept people have certain beliefs simply because they're "entitled to their opinion".
    I'm just wondering tho if this is part of an effort to "up the tone" on certain boards.
    Really? First I've heard of it. Doubt it could ever happen...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

zxy wrote: »
    at first I thought the thread was after hours and I was wondering just how much worse can the modding can get in there, starting a thread about prostitutes and boyfriends would be bound to cause reactions but it's not in AH, it's in PI. senstive issues require considerate responses and all I can see here is unadulterated bullsh*t.

you must be tha gopher posting under a different reg.
    big call from a newbie.

all im reading here is unadulterated bull****

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Gordon wrote: »

As for the initial ban, I totally agree with it..

we are not in the business of banning people based on their opinion, and as far as i can see, the initial name calling came from marksie, so i dont agree with it. youve qualified it somehow how on a ranking of misbehaviour. the problem with that is where do you draw the line. for me, if two people go at it, i let them, or i ban both. any other way is just unfair.

Im also not sure how you can ban someone from a forum over a PM row. does that mean if someone pm's me something silly, I can ask you to ban them from the entire Rec and Biz catagories? I dont think I understand how that works.

I also think Marksie is big enough to stand up for himself, and it really does appear to be a case of handbags at dawn. heres a hint for you, when i was modding PI, if you start to post as a user, never enter the thread as a mod.
    and the same stands for me on any other forum I mod now. if i am involved in a discussion as a user, i wont moderate it. which is why ive never banned anyone who abused me in a debate :)

Although, i do agree that I find a lot of Cheesedudes opinions untasteful to say the least, and personally, i dont tend to take on board anything he says.

for me though, marksie made the correct decision to hand off to gordon.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

if you start to post as a user, never enter the thread as a mod.
    This should be standard practice imo. It prevents situations like this.

I don't buy the "they're entitled to their opinion" argument though. I mean, some people are of the opinion that all those with down's syndrome should be thrown in a hole and left to rot. Where does one draw the line? I think it would be kinda dangerous in some cases to accept people have certain beliefs simply because they're "entitled to their opinion".

You draw the line when someone proposes taking action which is contrary to the law of the land. People are entitled to their opinion, dudess, just because their opinion doesn't match yours, it's still as valid as yours, no matter what it is. I think calling people "sad" because they think differently to you is slightly patronising, tbh. It certainly didn't add anything to the debate over this banning, all it does is polarise people.
    Really? First I've heard of it. Doubt it could ever happen...
    I didn't say it was an actual policy, but it does seem to be a growing trend, where mods express their distaste about a particular discussion and ban, or threaten to ban, users.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

we are not in the business of banning people based on their opinion, and as far as i can see, the initial name calling came from marksie, so i dont agree with it. youve qualified it somehow how on a ranking of misbehaviour. the problem with that is where do you draw the line. for me, if two people go at it, i let them, or i ban both. any other way is just unfair.

Im also not sure how you can ban someone from a forum over a PM row. does that mean if someone pm's me something silly, I can ask you to ban them from the entire Rec and Biz catagories? I dont think I understand how that works.

I also think Marksie is big enough to stand up for himself, and it really does appear to be a case of handbags at dawn. heres a hint for you, when i was modding PI, if you start to post as a user, never enter the thread as a mod.
    and the same stands for me on any other forum I mod now. if i am involved in a discussion as a user, i wont moderate it. which is why ive never banned anyone who abused me in a debate :)

Although, i do agree that I find a lot of Cheesedudes opinions untasteful to say the least, and personally, i dont tend to take on board anything he says.

for me though, marksie made the correct decision to hand off to gordon.
    Spot on WWM and agree completely.

Also agree with tbh regarding everyone being entitled to their opinions.

People are entitled to their opinion, dudess
    Do you think the likes of the Phelps and Eugene Terreblanche are entitled to their opinions, which they then use to hatemonger? (And not to the extent of breaking the law).
    No, I don't believe people are entitled to have hateful opinions at all.
    just because their opinion doesn't match yours, it's still as valid as yours, no matter what it is.
    It's not a case of whether it matches mine or not, it's a case of whether it's an opinion that denigrates particular people or groups.
    I think calling people "sad" because they think differently to you is slightly patronising, tbh. It certainly didn't add anything to the debate over this banning, all it does is polarise people.
    With respect, you didn't read what i said properly. I didn't call anyone sad, I said I think it's sad that there are people who feel it's somehow a character flaw of Marksie's to have overlooked that girl's past.

Do you think the likes of the Phelps and Eugene Terreblanche are entitled to their opinions, which they then use to hatemonger? (And not to the extent of breaking the law).
    No, I don't believe people are entitled to have hateful opinions at all.

Yes I do. Because, who decides what opinions are valid, and which are not? It's easy to defend the right to free speech for those people you agree with, but I'd argue it's more important to defend those rights for people you don't agree with. Because otherwise, you're just pushing your own agenda. (I don't mean you personally, none of this is really aimed at you personally, just generally).
    It's not a case of whether it matches mine or not, it's a case of whether it's an opinion that denigrates particular people or groups.

well, your opinion above denegrates Fred Phelps and Eugene Terreblanch, right? So you kind of are saying that opinions which match yours are fine. Personally, I'd prefer Fred Phelps to say what he wants, and have people laugh at him like they laughed at Cheesedude. Most people are pretty clever. You don't need to protect them from posters like cheesedude.
    With respect, you didn't read what i said properly. I didn't call anyone sad, I said I think it's sad that there are people who feel it's somehow a character flaw of Marksie's to have overlooked that girl's past.

thank you for the respect :) I re-read your comment, and you are correct, I understand the difference between what you said and what I said you said. My Bad. However, the point still stands - so what if you think it's sad? it's still a valid point of view, just not one with which you agree. Do you see what I mean?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Thaedydal wrote: »
    The admin expect posters to post civilly, which means not being a dickhead.

Define "dickhead" please

What is the boards.ie, official, take on a "dickhead"
    People have opinions on what is a dickhead and what is not, so basing a rule on a variable opinion is not really solid

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

Define "dickhead" please

What is the boards.ie, official, take on a "dickhead"
    People have opinions on what is a dickhead and what is not, so basing a rule on a variable opinion is not really solid
    damned database errors
    ahem, im sure one can use logic/common sense and see that anyone who is trolling,being abusive,trying to get a rise etc etc is a dickhead.
    you break the rules by stirring $hit, youre a dickhead.

i dont see why boards would have to explain and define what it is,charters and mods are there,you start acting up, you soon realise it

^
    the above is in no way the views of anyone only me:)

Nerin wrote: »
    damned database errors
    ahem, im sure one can use logic/common sense and see that anyone who is trolling,being abusive,trying to get a rise etc etc is a dickhead.
    you break the rules by stirring $hit, youre a dickhead.

i dont see why boards would have to explain and define what it is,charters and mods are there,you start acting up, you soon realise it

^
    the above is in no way the views of anyone only me:)

"damned database errors"
    Very much agreed

I know it is afairly bad example, just wary of setting precedent that opinion begins to have more importance than a defined set of rules.

As for the topic in question?
    Where is the insult in "why did you not marry? have kids?"
    easy answer is that they "did not fall that much in love, what is it to you?"

That survey was widely reported (if my drink addled memory recalls correctly).
    If the OP has that opinion of women on the game, then it is the obligation of the posters to either attack that opinion with facts/figures to nullify this opinion or qualify it as a snap shot of a problem held by a small city in a small country, not ignore (ban) the person with this opinion

He made a comment, was told this was childish etc (that was not an attack on the post as it gave no reasons as to why it was childish etc) and he replied with a quote from a, small and localised, study as to why he held this opinion.
    It would have been very easy to negate this argument with a structured responce, not a ban

"damned database errors"
    Very much agreed

I know it is afairly bad example, just wary of setting precedent that opinion begins to have more importance than a defined set of rules.

As for the topic in question?
    Where is the insult in "why did you not marry? have kids?"
    easy answer is that they "did not fall that much in love, what is it to you?"

That survey was widely reported (if my drink addled memory recalls correctly).
    If the OP has that opinion of women on the game, then it is the obligation of the posters to either attack that opinion with facts or figures to nullify this opinion not ignore (ban) the person with this opinion

He made a comment, was told this was childish etc (that was not an attack on the post as it gave no reasons as to why it was childish etc) and he replied with a quote from a, small and localised, study as to why he held this opinion.
    It would have been very easy to negate this argument with a structured responce, not a ban
    i see where your coming from,
    but if i said, as regards your post, thats a silly response, i wouldnt expect to be in trouble for saying it,even if i didnt back it up. fair enough,my argument isnt great if i just say that opinion is crap, but its not like im saying to you, you sir,are a plank. if i did that with no reason,no back up, i'm sure i'd be told off.

as for the op, take this example, if i wnet into a thread that a rape victim had started in PI, and said, ugh rape victims are so whiney or something equally stupid and uncalled for, i should get a smack. then if i started PMing the mod and being mouthy,i'd expect more smackage.

when going into certain threads,especially in PI, people should be a little more respectful and understanding imo. i mean, of course there is tough love type responses, but then there is trolling.

que Nerin screaming at laptop trying to post this reply :):rolleyes:

i see where your coming from,
    but if i said, as regards your post, thats a silly response, i wouldnt expect to be in trouble for saying it,even if i didnt back it up. fair enough,my argument isnt great if i just say that opinion is crap, but its not like im saying to you, you sir,are a plank. if i did that with no reason,no back up, i'm sure i'd be told off.

as for the op, take this example, if i wnet into a thread that a rape victim had started in PI, and said, ugh rape victims are so whiney or something equally stupid and uncalled for, i should get a smack. then if i started PMing the mod and being mouthy,i'd expect more smackage.

when going into certain threads,especially in PI, people should be a little more respectful and understanding imo. i mean, of course there is tough love type responses, but then there is trolling.

que Nerin screaming at laptop trying to post this reply :):rolleyes:

Should you get a smack for voicing your opinion? never
    And just because the mod has the ability to deliver the smack does not make it ok.
    If a mod is able to dish out comments then they should take it.

"So I know how silly, childish and immature such as this post is."
    This is a comment on the opinion of the poster not the post

As for respectful and understanding posts: Most would love that but, unfortunately, not everyone online has that view. They would have the view that if you want that then do not post in a publically accessed forum, if you do not want all kinds of replies (and to an extent I agree)

Should you get a smack for voicing your opinion? never
    And just because the mod has the ability to deliver the smack does not make it ok.
    If a mod is able to dish out comments then they should take it.

"So I know how silly, childish and immature such as this post is."
    This is a comment on the opinion of the poster not the post

As for respectful and understanding posts: Most would love that but, unfortunately, not everyone online has that view. They would have the view that if you want that then do not post in a publically accessed forum, if you do not want all kinds of replies (and to an extent I agree)
    well, i dunno, i kinda half agree and disagree. i think if you have an opinion,even if i dont agree with it you should be allowed talk about it (voltaire inspired thought)
    but on the other hand, some peoples opinions have no place in certain places.
    if there is a conference for holocaust survivors,no,i dont think a nazi should run up on stage and start seig heiling.
    then again, even though i despise nazis and the like, they are entitled to think that way no matter how stupid they are...
    but if a friend of mine(and it has happened) comes into my home or a public place place they should be a little bit more respectful and starts spouting crap either to get a rise or because they are deluded,they will get a loud STFU from me.
    theres a time and place for everything really, if cheesedude thinks such stupid things, fine, i dont agree with him, and he can do it all he wants, but to say stuff in that thread and expect to get away free from trouble,i think thats a bit deluded.

but if a friend of mine(and it has happened) comes into my home or a public place place they should be a little bit more respectful and starts spouting crap either to get a rise or because they are deluded,they will get a loud STFU from me.
    theres a time and place for everything really, if cheesedude thinks such stupid things, fine, i dont agree with him, and he can do it all he wants, but to say stuff in that thread and expect to get away free from trouble,i think thats a bit deluded.

Although boards is privately owned, it is a publically accessable opinion based forum.
    If someone posts publically, then they should be aware that not all answers will not be to their liking.
    It would be great if everyone expressed their opinion in a manner consistant with what you and I think to be respectful (as we are right now) but not everyone will think that.

This is a fairly circular argument however and I feel that we will have to agree to disagree

Gordon's point is spot-on though - cheesedude was intending to be nasty. People who aren't familiar with the way cheesedude operates might feel this was unfair. It's a build-up of things though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

cheesedude wrote: »
    The internet gets the better of me sometimes...

To be honest it comes across to me as being you just get off on pissing people off, plain and simple.

I think you enjoy the anonymous nature of the internet because it means you can talk the talk without ever having to walk the walk.

• Advertisement

I have a fairly rash opinion which I have to curb online (I admit that) but i do believe this is a serious code of internet ethics which has gone totally over my head...

If a mad man got on the bus and started screaming at you and wouldn't stop screaming at you, what would you eventually do? Lose it? Yeah...because when rb_ie was goading me on, sending me ****ing pictures of handicapped children etc, I was like "What the f***?" and am not used to this sort of geekiness on the internet so I wrote back calling him a nerd etc in PM.

As for my personal issues problem, I suppose it may be considered OTT and possibly my fault but I felt attacked to begin with by the moderator.

And Dragan, I suppose I don't take the internet as seriously as other people do...but i don't deliberately set out to piss people off.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement