Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Guns N Roses or Velvet Revolver

• 14-04-2008 12:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭

Lately I've been listening to a good bit of VR and I think they are better that GNR's.
    I prefer Scott Weiland as a frontman and I think Slash's solos are better.

What do ye think?

Guns N Roses or Velvet Revolver 43 votes

GNR
    0% 0 votes
    VR
    100% 43 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

VR for me, mainly because I am basing GNR on the version that has been around for the last ten years. Plus the fact that Chinese Democracy will continue to be given release dates to miss for another 10 years at the rate Axl is going at.

Plus VR are far better live than the most recent GNR touring band, or should that be Axl plus band?

Although it may be a moot point if VR don't get a new frontman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I voted for Guns N' Roses but that's on the presumption that it's based on the version of the band that existed from 1987-1993, not the Axl + four that it has become. Appetite For Destruction and the two Use Your Illusion albums are three of my favourite albums of all time. In my opinion, nothing Velvet Revolver has done has come close to matching them. That's not to say that Velvet Revolver are a bad band. They are well worth a listen in their own right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭gucci

malice_ wrote: »
    I voted for Guns N' Roses but that's on the presumption that it's based on the version of the band that existed from 1987-1993, not the Axl + four that it has become. Appetite For Destruction and the two Use Your Illusion albums are three of my favourite albums of all time. In my opinion, nothing Velvet Revolver has done has come close to matching them. That's not to say that Velvet Revolver are a bad band. They are well worth a listen in their own right.

Yeah pretty much what he said, too lazy to type my version of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭djfitzerjnr

gucci wrote: »
    Yeah pretty much what he said, too lazy to type my version of it.

ill second that!:p

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭hyn-zie

Did this topic not come up a couple of weeks ago!!!

• Advertisement

hyn-zie wrote: »
    Did this topic not come up a couple of weeks ago!!!
    It's the same topic, check the post date of the first post. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

ditto for me too. VR are better than the current incarnation of G N' R but you'll never beat the original line-up.

Reading my original comment again, I think I was being a little unfair to the Axl Rose Roadshow. It's not Axl + four, it's probably more along the lines of Axl + however many guest musicians he can squeeze on-stage :).

in fairness,they're a decent bunch of musicians but they're not G N' R.:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Some of the New GNR leaks are better than anything VR have ever done.

If it's ever released, I'd say Chinese Democracy will be better than Contraband, but not as good as any old GNR albums(bar Spaghetti Incident).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

JC 2K3 wrote: »
    Some of the New GNR leaks are better than anything VR have ever done..

ithink you are half right imo, its better that the 2nd VR album but i havent heard them wnoiugh to prefer them to contraband!! im amazed that people prefer VR, now they are a great band and all, but the original GnR are one of if not the greatest band ever! and VR never came close to recreating that magic!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

GnR are one of if not the greatest band ever! and VR never came close to recreating that magic!

Velvet Revolver never tried to though. They all knew their backgrounds and created a bunch of new songs as a new entity. They never relied on their past roots with GNR or STP. They didn't have to because people knew who they were anyway.

VR!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 hot4teacher

Guns - but only based on their debut album.

VR are good, but I never really got into STP, and it would take some doing to beat Appetite for Destruction

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭Sunset V

Gn'R. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

Guns' just destroy VR!
    I prefer Scott Weiland as a frontman and I think Slash's solos are better.

I assume you mean in VR by that statement! I couldn't disagree more. Slash's solo work on all the GNR albums is awesome! I don't think the VR stuff is near as good.

Guns - but only based on their debut album.
    Seriously? You think that's better than Estranged, November Rain, Civil War, Don't Cry, Knockin' On Heaven's Door, Live And Let Die etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭1408

I like both bands but its a question of Guns N Roses being the reason VR exsist. Lets be fair, VR are good, but they are 3/5 GNR and they will NEVER be anything else and the band is essentially only here because GNR doesnt have the original lineup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭rednik

Saw GNR at Slane in 92. After a long wait between the previous band, I think it was faith no more they came on and blew everyone else away. I have been to 9 concerts in Slane including Lizzy but this was easily the most memorable, they were fantastic. That line up in 92 was probably the best but they have had good guitarists in Clarke and Stradlin.
    Saw VR once and probably wouldn't be too intertested in seeing them again even with a new vocalist. Not a patch on probably the greatest band of the 80s - 90s era.

rednik wrote: »
    Saw GNR at Slane in 92. After a long wait between the previous band, I think it was faith no more they came on and blew everyone else away. I have been to 9 concerts in Slane including Lizzy but this was easily the most memorable, they were fantastic.
    Was that the gig with Metallica, Faith No More and My Little Funhouse? I've been hearing about that gig for over 15 years, it must have been something special! I saw a guy at the Metallica gig in the RDS in 2004 wearing a t-shirt from it. The t-shirt was faded to a very light grey :).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

The '87 - '93 version of GNR all the way baby!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

Was that the gig with Metallica, Faith No More and My Little Funhouse? I've been hearing about that gig for over 15 years, it must have been something special! I saw a guy at the Metallica gig in the RDS in 2004 wearing a t-shirt from it. The t-shirt was faded to a very light grey :).

Metallica have never played Slane.

The Lineup that year was just Guns N' Roses, Faith No More, My Little Funhouse.

that shirt may have been from the G N' R/METALLICA co-headlining tour later in the summer of 92 in the states with FNM as support.

it was a special day alright. i'm a huge G N' R fan but by the time they got to slane they were like a circus act. they had a horn section,backing singers,synthesizer and multiple costume changes from axl. as a gig it wasn't the best ever,i'd rather have seen them in the states in the summer of 91 when axl was on the brink and every gig was a riot waiting to happen. as a day out though it's still one of the best i've ever done,the atmosphere around the whole day was electric,it's hard to describe just how huge G N' R were back then and the buzz around it,even the heralds cartoon which is normally political was of G N' R that day.:D

forgot to add,as a side note,my little funhouse are supposed to be reforming. i met 2 of the lads from the band at the VR gig in march in the jax and everyone was talking about slane and brendan(i think!) says "i played at that". turns out they're gonna give it another go. they were hyped to bits at slane,"the next G N' R" was a common tag,they even signed to geffen. i seen them in the tivoli later that year and there must have been only 100 people at it.:eek:

i still have their album somewhere too:o

The '87 - '93 version of GNR all the way baby!

Well to be fair, there's about 2-3 versions of the band in that time period between guitarists, drummers and keyboardists coming and going.

VR!

lord lucan wrote: »
    my little funhouse are supposed to be reforming. i met 2 of the lads from the band at the VR gig in march in the jax and everyone was talking about slane and brendan(i think!) says "i played at that". turns out they're gonna give it another go. they were hyped to bits at slane,"the next G N' R" was a common tag,they even signed to geffen. i seen them in the tivoli later that year and there must have been only 100 people at it.:eek:

i still have their album somewhere too:o

At the risk of going completely off topic here, but I would love to see that reunion. I think Standunder was one of the better Irish Rock albums that came out in the mid 90s. I'm also sure they released a few non album tracks (which i can't find anywhere!), before they split. It was just a shame it never happened for them.

At the risk of going completely off topic here, but I would love to see that reunion. I think Standunder was one of the better Irish Rock albums that came out in the mid 90s. I'm also sure they released a few non album tracks (which i can't find anywhere!), before they split. It was just a shame it never happened for them.

catholic boy was a savage track:cool:

lord lucan wrote: »
    catholic boy was a savage track:cool:

There was better on that album though, if memory serves me well at the end of track 5 (i think), I know what I need, there was a second track, You Blew It. To me, that was such a class track when i first heard it. I still listen to it a lot, playing it as a big "**** you" to those who... well basically, blew it! ;)

Great guitar work on it too! :D
    VR!

• Registered Users Posts: 19 CivilWAR07

I am deffo a GNR early 90s Fan. Saying that VR were awesome in Dublin this year and managed to see them twice. Although Scott left VR I still think the best is yet to come from them. But nothing beats the sound of the old skool stuff with the likes of Estranged pumping from the car in a hot day!!!!

Advertisement