Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Declaring my car off the road

Options
  • 14-04-2008 12:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭

Hi, I'm sure this has been asked before but i can't seem to get anything with search.

I'm moving abroad in a week and a bit and need to declare my car off the road as it will not be used while I'm away. I've done a google search but didn't get much back (I can only presume I'm not using the correct term) and also checked www.motortax.ie but can only see a small detail about declaring a period of non-use when you are renewing your motor tax.

Does anyone have an idea how I'd go about this? Where I'd get forms etc?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭buckfast4me

Why are you declaring it off the road exactly? For tax purposes? If so, then you declare it off the road after the period when it has been off the road - not before.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭alpina

Call your local motor tax office & they will forward the documentation that needs to be signed & returned.

Enjoy the trip/move..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Why are you declaring it off the road exactly? For tax purposes? If so, then you declare it off the road after the period when it has been off the road - not before.

Yes, for tax purposes. I obviously don't want to be getting letters saying my tax is up for renewal when I'm not in the country or using the car. I did see the form that says it has been our of use for a while when you're re-taxing it. I was hoping I could do it now. i know if it has been off the road for a time you have to go to the gardai and they stamp a form and you only pay from the present date. I was sure you could declare it off the road too though.
    alpina wrote: »
    Call your local motor tax office & they will forward the documentation that needs to be signed & returned.

Enjoy the trip/move..

Thanks, I was thinking I'd probably have to do this. Hopefully it won't be too painful. The amount of stuff to organise before you move away is huge, I never realised!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

Not so. As Alpina says, you have to get a form from the Motor Tax section of your local tax office, fill it in and return it. They now automaticaly send you this form when your tax has not been renewed for 2 months following the expiry date.
    Its states on the form that if you do not return it within 1 month, then they contact the Gardai with the details of the untaxed car. Not sure if they do this yet.
    Surely we are not far away from having something similar to the U.K. system introduced here, ie, automatic fines if your car tax is more than 6 weeks overdue ?

The only reason I would do what you are trying to do is if I had paid tax for a year in advance or something, then was leaving the country- you could claim a tax refund. Otherwise just ignore the letters and sort it out when you return.

• Advertisement

Duiske wrote: »
    Not so. As Alpina says, you have to get a form from the Motor Tax section of your local tax office, fill it in and return it.

What form would this be exactly now? :rolleyes: There is no such form. The only relevant form is RF120 for claiming a motor tax refund and you need at least 3 full months remaining to claim the refund. No form exists for declaring a car off the road in advance. Talking through your hat mate. People like you really annoy me - claiming you know everything yet all you're doing is spouting rubbish.

The only reason I would do what you are trying to do is if I had paid tax for a year in advance or something, then was leaving the country- you could claim a tax refund. Otherwise just ignore the letters and sort it out when you return.

Not my style I'm afraid. I won't feel comfortable going off unless everything is sorted out. I'm on the phone at the moment to the motor tax office. I haven't spoke to a human yet though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

watna wrote: »
    Not my style I'm afraid. I won't feel comfortable going off unless everything is sorted out. I'm on the phone at the moment to the motor tax office. I haven't spoke to a human yet though.

Only way to do it, the renewal forms you get mean nothing, you only have to provide the form when re-taxing your car.

The Gardai will not sign a declaration for something that has not happened yet. The form is for declaring your car WAS off the road from a date and to a date, not when it WILL be.

Local station will have the forms, check it out with them if you dont believe me :)

craichoe wrote: »
    Only way to do it, the renewal forms you get mean nothing, you only have to provide the form when re-taxing your car.

The Gardai will not sign a declaration for something that has not happened yet. The form is for declaring your car WAS off the road from a date and to a date, not when it WILL be.

Local station will have the forms, check it out with them if you dont believe me :)

I'm not saying I don't believe people, I'm just checking to be %100 sure! :) It seems you are right and that you can't do it in advance, which seems quite backwards to me.

Still waiting to speak to a human.

Motortax office didn't answer the phone.

I had to ring the gardai who said that you just come down to them when you get back, they run a reg check to make sure it wasn't stoped while you claim you weren't using it and then they stamp the form to say it was off the road for the period you say it was. I was joking that someone would be after me for not paying my motor tax and the guard said they're not taht hi-tech yet!

Seems a bit backwards to me, the only way they know you haven't paid your motor tax is if you get stopped. I could be driving my car for the next two years and if I don't get stopped I can go in and tell them it's been off the road, the guard said they take your word for it!

Thanks for all the advice boardsies. it's muc appreciated. I can cross that off my list now!

• Advertisement

watna wrote: »
    I could be driving my car for the next two years and if I don't get stopped I can go in and tell them it's been off the road, the guard said they take your word for it!

It's a good system ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭alpina

Have a 1981 car that I do not tax as awaiting classic status. In '05 after the car had been put back to former glory decided to tax for the year. When I did not renew the usual tax renewal form came in the mail which I ignored, a couple of weeks later another form came separate to the tax renewal form which I had to declare and sign that I did not intend to drive it. If this is not done you are just in the system as not paying and may have to listen to the nonsense of paying back tax.

As for the sarcastic so called form gesture, majority of posters come on here to learn something new, keep up to speed and pass on info that they have experienced so maybe less of the :rolleyes::rolleyes:until is actually justified.

Advertisement