Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Broadband Ripwave speeds in Galway

Options
  • 14-04-2008 12:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 673 ✭✭✭

I was just wondering if anyone here has any recent experience with Irish Broadband in the Galway city area.

I've been with NTL for a long time but I recently cancelled due to a pending house move which has been delayed so I'm currently without Internet. Because I'm still planning to move soon, I can't take any internet service with a long-term contract.

Basically, that leaves me with 2 choices: Three PrePay, and Irish Broadband with the 6-month contract. I've had dealings with both companies before so I know what they're like to deal with. In other words, Three is not an option ;)

That leaves Irish Broadband. I was with them when they first started out in Galway but they had serious quality problems, some days their signal was low and the connection was way slower than dialup, or not working at all. Strange enough this was exactly the same for all of my colleagues who were on it (some of them were within 500m of the transmitter and line of sight).

We used to text each other when the connection speed was good and we nicknamed it Dripwave when it wasn't ;) To be fair to Irish Broadband, they were always nice to deal with and made no problem of my cancellation.

I'm just wondering what they're like now as this is 2 years ago. Has their service improved since? Especially in the Galway area. I'm not looking for massive bandwidth but I do want to have an always-on connection with reasonable fast web surfing and stable enough connection for light gaming (World of Warcraft).

I'm especially concerned about the stability, do you still get extremely bad days where you get sub-dialup speeds?

Any comments would be greatly appreciated! I looked around in the search to see if this was a FAQ but couldn't find anything.

Advertisement