Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gas Hob

• 14-04-2008 12:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭

Does anyone know anything about gas hobs in campervans? We were travelling a few weeks ago and we were stearlising the childs bottle in a tub of milton. To cut a long story short the milton got down into the hob and now there is no gas coming through. I need to get this fixed/replaced. Does anyone know anyone in or near waterford who can do this? What would be the cost to get a new 2 ring hob fitted?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Did you melt a plastic vessel into the burner or was liquid spilled?

If it's melted plastic, you should be able to clean the burner yourself. On most of them, the top simply unscrews and some careful cleaning / scraping should do the trick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

Turn on the hop and let the gas flow for a couple of minutes as the pressure of the gas should push it out. Once you hear gas leave it a few minutes to ventilate the area and try lighting it. Failing that you'll have to undo the connection at the gas taps and drain out any liquid.
    Have you checked the other gas appliances and is there a chance you're actually out of gas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭derden

Liquid spilled, i had it asounder (good irish word) the other day and cleaned it as best i could. Stapeler you say "undo the connection at the gas taps and drain out any liquid.
    " is that where the on/off tap to the cooker is? there are 3 taps there one for cooker, one for fridge, and one for heating. I better look for the proper tools for the job!

thanks for the replies

hang on, hang on ....

Dismantling and re-assembling of gas pipes / connections should only be done by certified gas fitters. It's very easy for the novice to unwittingly build a bomb there...:eek:

If an old pipe cleaner down the burner doesn't fix the problem, I'd strongly recommend qualified supervision on any further attempts of fixing the problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 wohnmobile

You should try Camping Crazy in New Ross. They have a very good repair service. Takl to Michael.

• Advertisement

Thanks all. Wohnmobile do you have a number?

Okay, don't disconnect anything, avoid any possible fires..
    Are the other gas appliances working? It's unlikely there's a blockage on both rings. Have you turned on the gas ring and listened for gas coming out?

The reason why I'm advising against disconnecting gas pipes is because the devil is in the detail.

Most of theses connections look (and are) simple to do / undo ...problem is that some of the nuts / threads are self cutting and once undone, they need to be replaced with new ones. You will be able to put the old one back on, no problems, but it may not be 100% gas tight any more ...and we all know what can happen when you have a pool of leaked gas lurking in a cupboard somewhere and you add a spark

Yeah its a strange one, everything else is working fine (heating, fridge) but both the hobs are not working so i presume the pipe supplying the hobs is blocked. Think its time to call in the professionals!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 wohnmobile

Derden,
    Camping Crazy 051-440000
    www.campingcrazyireland.com

• Advertisement

Okay, my apologies fot that suggestion. I forget that people aren't all that experienced with gas. I guess bottom line is avoid undoing any connections where there's a potential for mistakes and injury.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 577 ✭✭✭KoNiT

don't do like someone I know .... got a lighter... cant see leak.... flick.. WHOOOM... no eyebrows..

Sounds odd.. gas pressure will push water out of the pipe?!

This hob have a safety electrode that wont let gas out unless hot?> It looks like a steel stem about 10mm long & the thickness of a match.

Is the electrode i.e. the sensor damp? ?? Give that a good heating with a lighter before you shopping.

Could be your problem...

Thanks Konit will try that out, there is a small stem in front of both rings

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 577 ✭✭✭KoNiT

persist at it to dry it, as it could have got rightly soaked Usually when I'm lighting the gas I have the flame over this stem also.

Advertisement