Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

extension onto existing planning permission

• 14-04-2008 12:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭

I have full PP for a house which is nearing completion.

I intend to subsequently add a sunroom onto this dwelling. I couldn't incorporate this sunroom into the original PP application as there would have been insufficient private open space at the rear.

BUT as an extension this sunroom is exempt from PP as it falls within the required exemption limits of space and height etc.

My question is when can I start to build the extension? I know this is a very grey area. Surely I don't have to have lived in the house first? Can I go ahead and start it just after everything else is completed?

Has anyone got experience of this?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

first look through the conditions attached to your final grant of planning permission.
    most houses that get granted include a condition which states that there cannot be any further extensions built onto the property without planning permission.

is the house out on a stand alone site, a corner garden infil house or other?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭archtech

What did you're supervising design consultant say. Is he/she happy to sign off on the extension and completed house. Do you intend completing the extension before moving into the house? By all means once the house is finished you are entitled to build the exempted development provided it doesn't effect any of the planning conditions.

Normally in our office we won't have an issue with someone commencing exempted development prior to the house been completed, subject to the expected development not effecting the planning conditions and making development unauthorised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

I intend to subsequently add a sunroom onto this dwelling. I couldn't incorporate this sunroom into the original PP application as there would have been insufficient private open space at the rear.

You must maintain a minimum of 25sqm private space in order to comply with exempted development, otherwise you require planning permission / exemption. I don't believe you have factored this in. You already state you won't have enough open space, if you build the sun room. The sunroom can not be classed as exempted development!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

RKQ wrote: »
    You must maintain a minimum of 25sqm private space in order to comply with exempted development, otherwise you require planning permission / exemption. I don't believe you have factored this in. You already state you won't have enough open space, if you build the sun room. The sunroom can not be classed as exempted development!

Firstly I am unsure why you dug up this old post. The issue has probably since passed.

Secondly, you are correct that 25m2 of open space is needed to be classed as exempt.
    But the assumption that the sunroom cannot be classed as exempt is wrong. Their may of been open space requirement for the original house above 25sm2. So the extension could still be exempt.

At this time I (or anyone) cannot say if it is or not

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

Sorry to discuss last months post! Just caught my eye today and thought it was a very interesting "question". Hope construction hasn't started!
    Mellor you could be right if the original requirement was for more than 25sqm.
    However if we assume a standard plot, with only a 25sqm back garden / yard, then I would be correct.
    Maybe Benincasa could clarify this point.
    I'd hate someone reading this to assume you can build anything up to 40sqm, leaving no open space, on a tight urban plot. There are quite afew points, (height, windows facing boundaries etc) which must also be taken into account before you add a 40sqm extension.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Oh of course, the area question comes up alot, and when ever 40sq.m is given, the advice to check all conditions is attached,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 505 ✭✭✭construct06

you cannot start constructing the sunroom until the house is complete. its a chicken and egg situation.

complete may mean substantially complete.

office i used to work in, we would not sign off on a house if this occurred. Retention would be required if you built at same time as house. i know its difficult situation to comprehend but as far as i know thats the way it is. A quick annonymous phone call to planning office would settle the matter. ths is a common enough issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,324 ✭✭✭✭muffler

The main points are that the sun room can only be built AFTER the house is completed. Anyone certifying substantial completion is legally wrong in doing so.

Before assuming the sun room to be exempt after that house is completed the permission needs to be checked to see if there are any conditions in relation to the future extension of the development.

It then obviously has to meet the conditions for it to be exempt including the size, height, its location, the 25 m2 of open space/garden to be retained together with distance from neighbouring boundary etc.

Some PA's have policies in their development plans that a min area of rear garden is to be retained. Here in Donegal it is 65 sq. metres.

Advertisement