Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gardai around on Sunday

Options
  • 14-04-2008 12:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭

Hi

Does anyone know what was going on Sunday morning in Charlesland. There were numerous Gardai about in one section of Charlesland (second or third turn off after Superquinn) - it looked awful (for want of better word) and made me very uncomfortable to be honest. :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

Would be worse if they never came around

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Car2318

Absolutely agree with you on that

Except this was loads of them with a few cars and blocking off exist to that section of the estate - looked like 'something was going down!! :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 decokiernan

There were Traveller Children in the estate causing problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Shineyirish

A resident has there car stolen. Someone was trying the doors to see if they were locked and unfortunatly found a house that was unlocked and broke in taking a set of car keys and obviously the car after that. Keep the doors locked is the moral of the story!!

On a sadder note, I was kicking a ball around the big green with a friend and was informed by the Garda on Monday that they were happy to see people out in the fresh air but numerous residents had called the Garda o complain of kids kicking balls onto the road. Now I'm no kid and I totally understand that people don't want there cars being hit by a ball and I acknowledge there are safety issues but have we really sunk to such a low level. Are we really going to put the final nail in the coffin of childhood and condem children to the Wii and the xbox?? Society doesn't need the younger generations rared as video game junkies. I think whoever rang the Garda is pathetic and should ahve a good luck in the mirror and ask themselves what they are trying to achieve. Are we now so above ourselves that we believe we can take a green area such as that in Charlesland away from the young generations and not allow them to play ball on it.....jeez I think its sad. I live on the green, my car is parked there, I see the kids on my way home from work and I envy their youth and the careless nature that they plays football between jumpers...its childhood, its great.....its gonna be extinct in Charlesland if these whingers get there way.

When I went to college in Waterford I got an unbelievable slagging over the state of Wicklow Hurling, Wicklow Football...you see we never had much success, but in Waterford, Kilkenny, Cork, Dublin they breed success, they encourage young people to play sport, there are goal posts on every patch of grass, people walk to the shops playing ball, they put faith in there children and whats starts as a game between jumpers on the green in the local estate blossoms....and in time is either condemed to childhood memories or ends in PaírcUí Chaoimh, Parnell Park, Croke Park but here is ends in some twat calling the Garda!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭joeybloggs

When I went to college in Waterford I got an unbelievable slagging over the state of Wicklow Hurling, Wicklow Football...you see we never had much success, but in Waterford, Kilkenny, Cork, Dublin they breed success

Too true im afraid.Sometimes i just pray that people will confuse my jersey for the Tipp one.:(
    On a sadder note, I was kicking a ball around the big green with a friend and was informed by the Garda on Monday that they were happy to see people out in the fresh air but numerous residents had called the Garda o complain of kids kicking balls onto the road. Now I'm no kid and I totally understand that people don't want there cars being hit by a ball and I acknowledge there are safety issues but have we really sunk to such a low level.

I was gona blame it one a bad egg but thats just sad now.But im sure you'll see a volley of Charleslanders defending themselves in a bit.

On the topic at hand, I think its time you guys start facing facts.
    You need new doors.
    Get rid of those sleek American-come in with no key-style doors and get yourself a nice Oirish hardwood big bang-"nothing for you today knackers!' style doors.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭neets

i couldn't agree more shineyirish. we've got a whopping big green that should be filled with kids getting exercise and having a bit of good, healthy outdoor fun. they'll also be developing great social skills, learning what it's like to be in a team, learning how to take a few knocks too...the benefits are endless. who wants their kids to be obese androids.

Here here!

I think it is lovely to see kids out on the main green or even a Dad with his toddler just kicking about.

Perhaps if everyone slowed down when driving along the Spine Road it would help............

Can't believe someone has so little to do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Car2318 wrote: »
    Here here!

I think it is lovely to see kids out on the main green or even a Dad with his toddler just kicking about.

Perhaps if everyone slowed down when driving along the Spine Road it would help............

Can't believe someone has so little to do
    You'd be amazed! I heard a story a while back about a neighbour taking photos of properties which have satellite dishes...

Perhaps a low fence around the green would help matters. It would stop kids running straight onto the road and (hopefully) stop footballs etc. hitting cars.

I can see my neighbours washing line from my garden - should I get the camera out...............one finds it very offensive! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,937 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

it'd need to be quite a high fence to stop footballs etc.

There needs to be traffic calming on the Spine Road, but even with that the amount of traffic is always going to be quite high in comparison with the smaller greens. The problem is that the green space in Charlesland has been designed without much thought given to how people might use it....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Suder

Hey, Charlesland may produce the next lionel messi with all of the restrictions!
    The kids will have to develop all of those close control skills to keep the ball within the grass area, the quick turn of pace to leg it when the gardai come, the weaving runs around the lanes in the estate when the gardai and the spoil sport residents take chase! And maybe even the foreign accent "i don undastand?" when they get caught!!:D

Footie on the green foreva!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

The guards can't actually move anyone off the green for playing football as its private property owned by the developers (still!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

The guards can't actually move anyone off the green for playing football as its private property owned by the developers (still!)

The Guards have no interest in moving kids playing football. Most of us have kids and what better way to spend a sunny day? However, if somebody with little else to do makes a call it has to be logged and responded to....

Advertisement