Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Interrailing through usit.ie or interrailnet.com or interrail.net?

• 14-04-2008 12:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭

ok so myself and 3 others are planning on going interrailing during the month of July. we haven't booked anything yet and I just want to ask a few questions before we do book anything.

firstly is it better to book through usit.ie or interrailnet.com or interrail.net? I see on the usit site they charge €10 for the delivery of tickets, do interrail.net do this? are there any benefits of booking through usit? do they give you tips and things like that on travelling?

we were planning on flying into Paris and staying there for about 3 nights and then having our passes ready to use from then on. just as to get an extra few days out of it, but we were wondering if we can use our passes to get the train from Paris to Euro Disney?

what sort of backpacks should we bring? I take it the bigger the better? would an 80 litre bag be the right size to bring a decent amount of clothes and to also have room for bringing back presents etc.?

we haven't planned a route yet. there's still plenty of time for that and we won't be booking hostels until the day before we get to a city anyway.

any help and suggestions much appreciated. cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Steak

cool thanks for that. I think we're gonna go with interrailnet.com as it's the official site and they don't add on an extra €10 for postage of the pass.

just checking out the Wikipedia article on it now and there's some noteworthy points there.

is there really that much difference in the 70 and 80 litre bags? I just really don't wanna have to leave some clothes at home and then be stuck for clothes sometime over the sake of the size of a bag. especially if it's not a huge difference.

as for money I reckon €50 a day. I've spoken to a few people who went and they said that in some cities you'll spend less than €50 a day and in others you'll spend more than €50 so it balances out.

just another question while I think of it. where in Europe are the cheapest places to fly to from Ireland? also where are the cheapest places to fly from in Europe back to Ireland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,273 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Anywhere is fairly cheap with Ryanair, Eindhoven, Charleroi, Beauvais, Karslruhe, Berlin are all good if you book early. Remember the limit is 15kg (but you dont want to have to carry more than 15kg on your back - you will end up walking a few places - especially trying to find hostels etc

If i was going again i'd bring a 50-55l bag, it is really annoying dragging it around on your back

This is all you need in it (including what you wear going)- one hoody, a pair of jeans, a tracksuit pants maybe, a few tshirts, pairs of shorts, swimming togs, towel, wash bag, flip flops

Anywhere we went it was fairly casual dress going out - pair of jeans, t shirt and runners most places, so no need to bring shirts, more shoes

Anywhere is fairly cheap with Ryanair, Eindhoven, Charleroi, Beauvais, Karslruhe, Berlin are all good if you book early. Remember the limit is 15kg (but you dont want to have to carry more than 15kg on your back - you will end up walking a few places - especially trying to find hostels etc

cheers for pointing that out, are they very strict about the weight with Ryanair? what happens if your stuff's too heavy?
    If i was going again i'd bring a 50-55l bag, it is really annoying dragging it around on your back

This is all you need in it (including what you wear going)- one hoody, a pair of jeans, a tracksuit pants maybe, a few tshirts, pairs of shorts, swimming togs, towel, wash bag, flip flops

Anywhere we went it was fairly casual dress going out - pair of jeans, t shirt and runners most places, so no need to bring shirts, more shoes

yeah I know that travelling light is the best option alright. was there any times though when you wish you had brought more clothes with you?

cheers for the advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,273 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Yeah Ryanair might let you be a kilo or so over but no more, sometimes they are very strict about it and won't let you go a gram over 15kg, it really depends on who is at the check in and what sort of a mood she is in on they day in question imo.

No not really, we went when it was raining for about a week and probably could have done with an extra pair of jeans because they are fairly hard to wash over there. But we brought two pairs of runners and ended up leaving one in a hostel after a few days, and brought rain coats and never used them.

I know you hear this everywhere but really do pack as lightly as you can - just try walking for 15 minutes or so with 15 kilos on your back, you'll know what I mean then

Yeah Ryanair might let you be a kilo or so over but no more, sometimes they are very strict about it and won't let you go a gram over 15kg, it really depends on who is at the check in and what sort of a mood she is in on they day in question imo.

No not really, we went when it was raining for about a week and probably could have done with an extra pair of jeans because they are fairly hard to wash over there. But we brought two pairs of runners and ended up leaving one in a hostel after a few days, and brought rain coats and never used them.

I know you hear this everywhere but really do pack as lightly as you can - just try walking for 15 minutes or so with 15 kilos on your back, you'll know what I mean then

yeah I'll try and pack light alright but I don't know how well I'll do. the thing is I have no idea how 15kgs on my back would feel because I've never done it.

anyway cheers for the advice. just gotta get a route sorted and then get everything together.

• Advertisement
Advertisement