Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone ever volunteered long-term abroad?

• 14-04-2008 1:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 647 ✭✭✭

Has anyone ever volunteered for a couple of years or more abroad? Like PeaceCorps except for Europeans? Anyone recommend any organisations?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 647 ✭✭✭Glacier

Anybody?

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭CamillaRhodes

Hey Glacier. The longest I volunteered for in one go was 9 months, however: what sort of volunteering are you looking for? What skill level are you at? If you're a professional with real skills and several years experience to contribute, you could try VSO: Voluntary Service Overseas, Skillshare International or UNV: United Nations Volunteers. I know people who've volunteered for up to two years with these organisations, all of which are serious and reputable (not profit-making 'volunteer' companies).

If you don't have the level of skills or experience necessary to take up a position with these organisations, you can try other small NGOs which may take you on for a shorter time-frame, but once there you may have the opportunity to stay on longer. For year-long volunteering for the under 25s, you can try the EVS scheme (and other 'long-term volunteering' opportunities) through VSI: Voluntary Service International.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 shinana

Hi Glacier, I am new to Board and the forums. I noticed you asked for non-europeans that have done long term volunteering. Well, I am originally from the Caribbean but have been living in Holland for quite some years now and I have volunteered for 1.5 in Malawi. I did this through VSO, the organisation Camilla mentioned. May be I can help with information or tips? What exactly would you like to know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

Visit www.volunteeringoptions.org and get in touch with Siobhán if you want to discuss more in-depth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Mazy3

shinana wrote: »
    Hi Glacier, I am new to Board and the forums. I noticed you asked for non-europeans that have done long term volunteering. Well, I am originally from the Caribbean but have been living in Holland for quite some years now and I have volunteered for 1.5 in Malawi. I did this through VSO, the organisation Camilla mentioned. May be I can help with information or tips? What exactly would you like to know?
    Hi Shinana
    I just read your post on VSO. I am considering applying to VSO in the next few days for this year coming. Can I ask you a few questions about your experience?
    How did you find working with them? Where did you work? and what did you do?
    I would appreciate as much information as you can give me...thanks

• Advertisement
Advertisement