Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any opinions about Knockbridge?

Options
  • 14-04-2008 2:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭

I'm considering moving to Knockbridge and I was wondering what everybody thinks of the area

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Waitsian

I've always thought it a nice wee village - grand spot! It's quiet, close enough to a big town, and not far from the Motorway. I'd live there if I had the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

Pretty nice place, quite quiet mind you. Stephenstown Pond is a really nice amenity if you have little 'uns

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭DK man

Very nice place - not over developed and new developments are OK. Near large town and M1 and Stephenstown pond is a gem...

DK man wrote: »
    Very nice place - not over developed and new developments are OK. Near large town and M1 and Stephenstown pond is a gem...

That's what I said! :D:p

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭TravelJunkie

Hi - I went to the pond and the sun was shining to boot. It is a really nice spot, lots of families and children, all very decent. The gardener was helpful with 'how to get out of the parking lot' . I could picture going there again for sure.

Any ideas on how long it takes to get from knockbridge turnoff on the Carrickmacross road to Dundalk train station at approx. 7.30 am?

• Advertisement

Hi - I went to the pond and the sun was shining to boot. It is a really nice spot, lots of families and children, all very decent. The gardener was helpful with 'how to get out of the parking lot' . I could picture going there again for sure.

Any ideas on how long it takes to get from knockbridge turnoff on the Carrickmacross road to Dundalk train station at approx. 7.30 am?

In a car?! Less than 10 minutes...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

mod9maple wrote: »
    In a car?! Less than 10 minutes...

I travel that route every day. 10 minute??? Only if there are no other vehicles on the road. This is a rural area with farm traffic. Staying wiythin the speed limit allow 15minutes from the Stone Trough to the Railway station, longer between 8.30 and 9.00 in the mornings.

I travel that route every day. 10 minute??? Only if there are no other vehicles on the road. This is a rural area with farm traffic. Staying wiythin the speed limit allow 15minutes from the Stone Trough to the Railway station, longer between 8.30 and 9.00 in the mornings.

He did specify 7.30 am - not much traffic then, farming or otherwise....:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Glydeside white

I went to primary school there, and il tell you one thing, the school is good (if you have young kids) but the people are up their own arses:mad:
    unless you are a louth g.a.a fan, a hurling nut, or an obsessive cleaner who is obsessed with anti litter, then you will find it easy to like the locals. if not then i wouldnt go near the place.

I went to primary school there, and il tell you one thing, the school is good (if you have young kids) but the people are up their own arses:mad:
    unless you are a louth g.a.a fan, a hurling nut, or an obsessive cleaner who is obsessed with anti litter, then you will find it easy to like the locals. if not then i wouldnt go near the place.

While the school is still excellent (I see they have a web site and there are new classrooms going up) the clique of GAA/Tidy Towns locals is almost gone since the new housing of a few years back. I think that comment was unfair. I know many in the area ands they are all very nice decent friendly people.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭-Freebird-

the people are up their own arses:mad:

Agreed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Kalashnikov_Kid

-Freebird- wrote: »
    Agreed

Judging by your location description, I would take that opinion with a pinch of salt. You obviously have no local pride and have some gripe about something or other that probably has nothing to do with Knockbridge as a village in itself. It is a nice wee village with plenty of decent families(and no I dont live there).

Name me a rural Irish village that doesn't have any of the above types of people!

People tend to just do their own thing in these new estates and not care about what's going on around them, or about who thinks what about them, which is the way to go. In my opinion, if you're hell-bent on trying to impress the local GAA club or the tidy-towns moral do-gooders, you have issues of your own!

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭R11

Gonna bump this. Might be moving and looking at a few areas that are close to Dundalk.

Knockbridge, in particular Ballybarrack on Knockbridge Road, on my list. What's the general area like now? Is that road very busy as we have 2 small kids...

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Mad dog trump

Nice little village with very clanish inhabitants. Outsiders not welcome.

Absolute balderdash. The people on Knockbridge are very friendly. I live in an adjoining parish and know personally how nice an area it is. There is a great community in Knockbridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭R11

Is there a regular bus service into town? Also is there broadband in Ballybarrack on Knockbridge Road?

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭rorymcgrory

Couldn't have said it better.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭juicyduckie

Ah lads it's not that clannish, if your kids go to the primary school then you'll be 'in' with the locals in no time, if they don't it's a bit more difficult, to be fair outside of the new estate they are a bit wary of 'outsiders' but sure it's the same as anywhere and certainly a better community than in Dublin!

I loved living there, it's so quiet at nighttime, the air quality is good and the infrastructure is okay (although broadband speeds are pretty bad compared to Dublin standards). It's far enough away from the town to be countryside living but close enough that you will never feel isolated.

The only downside is that public transport isn't very good, when i was living at home there were only 4 Ardee buses a day into town and 4 buses from town to Ardee so it would be preferable if you have a car. The walk into town isn't too far but there are no footpaths on the main road so not very safe. If you are reliant on public transport I'd have to say it won't work at all, unless something drastic has happened since I've lived there.

Trying to convince my partner to move up there from Dublin at the minute, I would go back in a heartbeat. My parents still live there.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭blackpearl

100% their mate.

blackpearl wrote: »
    100% their mate.

And I'll yet again, balderdash!

• Advertisement

It could do with another pub ;)

It could do with another pub ;)

True, but Cluskey's is in the parish too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

It has 2 pubs, Soraghans and McNamee's

And Cluskeys

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭Peter File

And Cluskeys

You can hardly walk home from two of those bars if you live in Knockbridge!!!

Peter File wrote: »
    You can hardly walk home from two of those bars!!!

Depends on where in Knockbridge you live. Most of the parish don't live in the village. I'm not in knockbridge but know many who are and couldn't walk home from Macs.

45 mins walk from the village.

A good pub in the village would be a gold mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭conor05

Knockbridge is a lovely village. Has a bigger population now with new housing estates since the boom, but still has a rural feel to the place. Great place for kids, Hurling is huge in the village along with Gaelic football. Regular buses to and from town and close to the M1 motorway if commuting to Drogheda/Dublin.

The chippy is pretty decent too :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Barnavave

Mac's doesn't seem to be too popular, any particular reason?

Advertisement