Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Raised Beds - What to use? [merged]

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Heres the raised bed I built
    I put that plastic sheet underneath to stop weeds coming up through.
    Only some salad in it at the moment as it was only built recently. <Snip>
    Was the timber pre-treated when you bought it?
    Love the scarecrows behind it. :)

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

No, we had a half a bucket of it lying around so used that.

Those scare crows do nothing :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Did you pole holes in the plastic sheet to allow water to drain through? I didn't put anything under my raised beds, thankfully everything is growing well in them and we've removed all (I think) of the caterpillars from the cabbages... :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

r3nu4l wrote: »
    Did you pole holes in the plastic sheet to allow water to drain through? I didn't put anything under my raised beds, thankfully everything is growing well in them and we've removed all (I think) of the caterpillars from the cabbages... :mad:

I didn't put any holes in it, I figured the water can drain away at the sides. It's my first time doing this and I'm no expert so it's trial and error. I've since heard that laying down news papers is good as they will mulch after some time.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 GetGrowing

There's a good discussion about the pros and cons of raised beds here:

http://transitionculture.org/2008/02/20/on-a-level-the-early-days-of-my-on-the-contour-raised-bed-garden/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Ballylad

Hi,
    I am putting up raised beds in poliytunnel, grass was killed off, should I put down plastic over the area and put raised beds on top or dig area where raised beds are going before putting in the raised beds. Beds will be filled to 34cm with topsoil/compost mixture. Any suggestions much appreciated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Just dig over the area the bed will cover, some crops will need to grow down as well as up even if the beds are over a foot high. Not sure why you'd think to cover the area in plastic - the beds would be denied a source of nutrients from below while risk being flooded from above!

(epic thread bump by the way!)

Advertisement