Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Resting meat after cooking

• 14-04-2008 3:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭

Any advice please?

At the weekends I like doing roasts. However I am finding that the longer I leave the meat to rest the more lukewarm it is. I have tried kitchen foil but not to much avail.

Any thoughts appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Randomswinger

Heat the plate you're resting it on in the oven first cover it in timfoil.

I assume you're doing stuff on the hob as well so leave it close by to help keep warm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Also heat the dinner plates. Twenty minutes is usually enough rest. Back in the oven with the door open?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

15 minutes I'd say in a cooling oven.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,472 ✭✭✭✭Alun

If you have a double oven / grill setup then if you've had the main oven on for a reasonable time to cook the roast, then the top oven / grill is usually a nice warm (but not too hot) place to rest the meat I find, plus you can warm the plates in there too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

warm plates are essential but i always wrap a roast in cling film within 10 seconds of it leaving the oven, this keeps the joint hot and moist

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

Thanks folks for the replies

I have always been concerned about using too much heat for resting as it might counteract the 'relaxing' requirement, etc.

Like the idea of using the top oven though and will give this a bash at the weekend. Thanks again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

You are right about using too much heat. Also tightly wrapping in tinfoil is counterproductive due to thermal inertia (you're still cooking it essentially). Heat the plates you'll be using, I suggest covering loosely with baking paper, and maybe leaving it on the opened oven door (if possible with your oven).

Advertisement