Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Would we be mad to.......

• 14-04-2008 3:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 49

.....attempt to project manage our house build if neither of us have experience in the building trade??
    We'd have the help of a relative who's a builder and is very experienced in one-off house builds and has offered to help us throughout the build, including doing some of the work on the house and using contacts etc for materials - we'd be using Direct Labour for the rest?

Has anyone here project managed their own build? For those who used Direct Labour and a Project Manager could you give an estimate of PM costs?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 limerickbuild

I compared the costs of getting a contractor in and doing the managing myself with hiring all directly for each job. It was a huge difference and even not knowing anything about building (but having an interest in what each job entailed) i am just out the far end and would do it again tomorrow.
    I had the opportunity to have flexible work time so i could get out to the house if required within an hour. that is critical. Don't try solve problems over the phone. meet at house, walk through it and its easier fix that way.
    it is a busy time, you will be wrecked from it.(but the satisfaction of knowing what you'll know by the end is great). the trades will push back on you to make the decisions but if you have any support at all and can trust the tradesmen you use you will have no major hassles.
    Good engineer to review the work and sign it off at each stage is worth is money.
    At the end.. i know all the lingo of all the trades, am already helping and advising friends/ cousins on their builds and what to watch out for.. so its great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 641 ✭✭✭lanod2407

Totally agree with limerickbuild on the need for a level of flexibility around your working day. Nothing replaces the ability to be onsite to resolve issues as they arise.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 EJD

Thanks for the replies, limerickbuild that's exactly what my husband wants to hear. I'm being more cautious and suggesting the building contractor route but he's dead set on direct labour. He works for himself so could be on site a lot when required which is a good thing I suppose.
    Thanks again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,324 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Do you have a professional appointed to supervise the works and issue certs etc? If so then it will lessen the load a wee bit.

Going down the direct labour route is never recommended if you have no knowledge of the trade. However if you have friends who can keep an eye on things and the better half ;) is available to go to the site on a regular basis then there is no reason why you shouldn't or cant do it.

There will be a lot of little issues that will arise, hopefully not too many, but at the end of the day you do take great satisfaction in the knowledge that you had a good input to the development.

All you need do now is PM your address and we will all turn up for a final inspection/house warming party :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭250882

depending on your capabilities it can go either way. Its very easy to spec the best of everything to get the best house possible but you could be spending way more than you need to. Dont spend thousands on the best radon barrier if a DPM will suffice, dont spec stupid quantities like 300mm insulation in the floor or go for the highest spec of windows if you are only building standard cavity blockwork walls, dont build an airtight house unless you are specifying a HRV system as its wasted money if you have to put a 100mm dia hole in the wall of each room (and most importantly remember that in a building price differences are measured in thousands not hundreds;))
    Some sub-contractors will ask you opinion on everything while others will plough ahead the way they think best(whether its what you want or not!). Scheduling will be a big thing, knowing when to order materials and when each trade is needed is essential.
    I'm not trying to sell you on the idea of hiring an architect or engineer but make sure that there is somebody compitent supervising the build.
    The best way to come in on budget is to have a realistic one to start with. Get detailed construction drawings and specifications at the start and stick to them as best you can!! otherwise the extra light switches, velux's, rads etc. you want will eventually add up to thousands.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,418 ✭✭✭secman

I am an accountant, one who can't stand dust on my hands. We went direct labour route, but my 2 brothers are in building game and i had their heads melted with questions. Also only used trade men directly recommended from people I knew and trusted. Got an Architect to carry out 4/5 key inspections during the build. All in all it went very sucessfully. Was surprised with lack of stress, other thing was , the build was 70 odd miles away, only got there at weekends. I detest shopping, so by far most stressful time was choosing bathroom suites, tiles, flooring, all too much like shopping !!!!

Still have to pinch myself , when I think about it !
    Secman

• Registered Users Posts: 6 penny123

Hi, first posting. hoping to use builder to watertight, then direct labout. will getting quantity surveyor be of benifit to me, as my understanding is this will provide me with quantity,specs of materials required-is this so????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

Some good advice above.
    You will save money by going direct labour but you will be the main contractor, so you will earn the money you save!

• You must be available at short notice to sort problems on site.
    • You will need good professional advice - retain an Architect, Architectural Technician or Engineer - their knowledge and experience will be of great help!
    • You will need to have materials on site for each trade.
    • You will have to do all the little jobs each trademan won't! Sweep up, install bath panel, move materials around etc

Only hire trademen by recommendation and try to see their work before you hire them.

Don't pay anyone anything upfront!

If you like a challange, are a good organiser and like hard work then give it a go! Use common sense at all times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 641 ✭✭✭lanod2407

penny123,
    Good advice - the QS should be in a position to provide good estimates on materials, costs, etc. ......... which can be very important as the more accurate the estimates up front the more likely the project is to come in to budget.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 LoopyBum

PMing myself.

Worked for builders small and massive in my time, so prices and how things are priced not far from my brain. Family have self built and renovated their own things down the years so their advice is very helpful.

You will save massive amounts by not getting a builder in - I have, imho

My main bit of advice is to pay a good engineer to do the checking and suggesting, they do all levels of visits and paying one at the start is better than paying one down the line to suggest how to fix fup ups! You'll need an engineer even if you have an architect as architects don't generally don't know the ins and outs of what will and won't stay up - architects will draw anything you want but it's the engineer that tells you how to build it so it stays up! Get a recommendation not just pick these people from the phone book.
    A QS is a rather lavish extra as most trades, suppliers and builders providers will give you estimates etc for what you need for each stage etc. Builders providers are quite good in helping out and letting you know what is the standard fit nowadays and what is required to pass current building regulations etc as they will only stock what will sell and if Building Regs say X Y Z then they won't stock L M N etc so you don't need to overspend on an engineer or even take on a QS, well that is how I've found it, I also feel I'm quite lucky so far with how things are going. I find that in these slow times you will have trades falling over you to quote and do the job direct labour and most will be very helpful with what you need to get on site for them etc.

Seeing as you have a builder type ready to hand, I really would go direct labour and 'project manage' it between yourselves, it's not rocket science but be prepared for it to eat your time up. :p

• Advertisement
Advertisement