Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wednesday Mid-week Spin

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭flickerx

I hate working late shifts on Wednesdays sometimes. Dont get home til after 9.

Hope yous had fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭peterk19

good cycle everyone and it was nice putting faces to the name

@tiny ill see if i can find those cleats for you

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

How'd it go? How many were out?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

el tonto wrote: »
    How'd it go? How many were out?

@peter cheers!

There were 5 of us in total, it wasn't too bad apart from the falling :D

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

You fell? Nothing damaged I hope? Just the one trip around Howth or did ye do it a few times?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭erizo

we just did it once. As everybody lives in different areas we were concerned of the time and getting dark.
    It was the first time for some of them going that way and going up the summit. It was a nice evening.

So next day, more and better!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

How much of the spin is on cycle tracks? I presume you took the coast cycle track all the way from Clontart out towards Sutton? With the pedestrians, rollerbladers, glass etc - what sort of speed did ye manage on that section?
    I was considering it for a bit, but I'd have to come across from Leopardstown of the evening to get there - down the N11 - there's a bus lane so thats not too bad, through mount Merrion I suppose, down to the East link - watch out for the rail tracks at the point, then up throught the area I drive through fast with the doors locked -hmmmmm not sure about that - to clontarf. It just seemed to make more sense to head to wicklow for me rather than fighting off the cagers all the way over - I'd be livid before I even got to meet ye!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

kenmc wrote: »
    How much of the spin is on cycle tracks? I presume you took the coast cycle track all the way from Clontart out towards Sutton? With the pedestrians, rollerbladers, glass etc - what sort of speed did ye manage on that section?

The track is fine, I do it everyday. You do get the odd person walking in the track, but it's no big deal.
    then up throught the area I drive through fast with the doors locked -hmmmmm not sure about that - to clontarf.

Presume you mean North Strand or Ringsend? I've never had any problems in either.

it's between the point and east point business park. loads of red brick houses, over a bridge, up to a pub at a t junction, turn left then turn right after the esso into the business park - dunno what it's called.

it's between the point and east point business park. loads of red brick houses, over a bridge, up to a pub at a t junction, turn left then turn right after the esso into the business park - dunno what it's called.

I know the stretch, not the nicest spot.

• Advertisement

thats what I was thinking... as I said I drive fast through there in the car, dunno what would likely happen on a bike..

thats what I was thinking... as I said I drive fast through there in the car, dunno what would likely happen on a bike..

its not that bad in fairness ive cycled through it plenty of time and never had a problem actually ive walked through it at 3-4am a few times you could just follow the eastwall road from the point and avoid the housing estates completely here it is on google maps

I head that way every weekend when I'm cycling out to Wicklow and again on the way back, nothing to report so far.

Ah lads, I live near enough that area and I never get any grief. Kids often take an interest in your bike alright and occasionally you get a bit of a slagging for the cycling gear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

That area is fine. You drive fast with your doors locked? :confused:

Yeah, there are kids around and shout Stephen Roche at you, I'd take it as a compliment.

In fact I was pushing the bike home near that area one night due to a puncture and buckled wheel and some guy came up asked me how much the bike was worth (Trek 1200). I was convinced I was about to be robbed and can't exactly chase people in shoes with cleats.

He was a cyclist too and got his car to drop me home :)

fair enough. I just never got a good impression of the place from driving through it, same as sherrif street and gardiner street. Better safe than sorry though I suppose!
    (oh and it's not even a northside thing - there's places on the southside I feel the same)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

I was considering it for a bit, but I'd have to come across from Leopardstown of the evening to get there - down the N11 - there's a bus lane so thats not too bad, through mount Merrion I suppose, down to the East link - watch out for the rail tracks at the point, then up throught the area I drive through fast with the doors locked -hmmmmm not sure about that - to clontarf. It just seemed to make more sense to head to wicklow for me rather than fighting off the cagers all the way over - I'd be livid before I even got to meet ye!

Most of it is cycletrack, and pretty clear... we were just ambling really, so weren't that fast.

To be honest, I don't know if I'll head out that way again -going through the centre of town is just too much hassle, when I can get out towards Wicklow quicker and easier... Wed evening runs to Enniskerry sound more pleasable to me at this point (but that could be that I don't want to get my new bike hit my nasty smelly cars :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Harpz

Thanks Lads, Was a good spin. First time up howth hill for me. Same again next week or are we heading southside? Its all the same to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭erizo

Hi harpz.

i saw your bike parked in dawson this evening. you had the cycle computer on the handlebar!!!! you don't care about getting it stolen uh???

hopefully we will catch up next week for another one.

see you then

ya next week sounds good to me just see what time i get out of work at

• Advertisement
Advertisement