Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Import Tax

Options
  • 14-04-2008 4:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭

anyone know what percentage the import tax is for something coming from the USA?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Alot.

I got something in recently for 150 euro, 50 euro import.
    Another thing for 500, 190 import......

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Customs duties vary hugely depending in the item. There's a database of rates here. According to that it's 14% for a bicycle. Don't forget you'd have to pay VAT too. VAT's calculated after the custom's duties are factored in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

The rates of duty vary, for bike parts is 4%. VAT is 21%.

So, you pay 4% duty on the declared value of the goods + the postage cost.

Then you add 21% to the total of that.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Yeah, I've just been browsing through it. Frames, forks and other parts all seem to be 4.7%, which isn't too bad.

Oops, double post

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

thanks guys.
    So, if I'm to order a rather fetching example of two-wheeled transport, I'd be looking at a huge hit once it arrives. It's probably better to order from the UK in that case

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Never realised it was that high. Considering you pay on the postage (and note the carrier will also charge you an administration fee to collect the duty) you would be looking at well over 50% on top of €1,000 worth of bike.

UK is a good option but get in quick, a lot of places are raising their sterling-denominated prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭bobtjustice

This thread died a little, however i have question.
    So instead of starting a new thread, here I am!!!:D

Has anyone on here ever brought a bike back from the states?

If so did you get nabbed in customs etc?

What would be the best way to get the bike back without getting stung.?
    The reason I ask is that I'm travelling to the US in August for a few weeks holiday, and I had planned to pick up a bike. My idea was to send it from my friends address (lives in Tampa) If I could get the bike back here without having to pay the extortionate amount of Tax, it would be a massive saving!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭preilly79

what you could do is fly out with the cheapest piece of crap bike, in a bike bag, and make sure you declare that you are leaving with a bike. donate/dispose of this when you're there, buy your new bike, put some muck on it and fly back in. since you're coming back in with the 'same' bike you left with you might get through.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

preilly79 wrote: »
    what you could do is fly out with the cheapest piece of crap bike, in a bike bag, and make sure you declare that you are leaving with a bike. donate/dispose of this when you're there, buy your new bike, put some muck on it and fly back in. since you're coming back in with the 'same' bike you left with you might get through.

that seems almost too easy to pull off but I suppose it would work.
    I know people frown around here when talk turns to ways of avoiding tax etc..so say no more;)

• Advertisement

that seems almost too easy to pull off but I suppose it would work.
    I know people frown around here when talk turns to ways of avoiding tax etc..so say no more;)

Yep thats fair enough, my bad. Thanks for the replies lads.
    Bob

I have heard only good things regarding people bringing back bikes from the States on their person.

There is honestly no need to bring a shít bike with you, I can't believe they correlate. I have never declared anything of value I brought with me to the US and never had a problem bringing it back again (with eh additional things of value too ;-) ).

If you make even a half-arsed effort to make it look like you are coming back from a cycling holiday you will have no problems. Frankly though you probably wouldn't have any problems even if you didn't make the effort and brought the thing back in it's box straight from the shop.

Odds are A LOT better than getting something delivered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭preilly79

blorg wrote: »
    I have heard only good things regarding people bringing back bikes from the States on their person.

There is honestly no need to bring a shít bike with you, I can't believe they correlate. I have never declared anything of value I brought with me to the US and never had a problem bringing it back again (with eh additional things of value too ;-) ).

If you make even a half-arsed effort to make it look like you are coming back from a cycling holiday you will have no problems. Frankly though you probably wouldn't have any problems even if you didn't make the effort and brought the thing back in it's box straight from the shop.

Odds are A LOT better than getting something delivered.

i'm sure it doesn't happen often but I did once hear of a story of an irish band leaving the country with their equipment and having to pay duty when returning as they couldn't prove they left with it. whether it's true or not I don't know!

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Limestone1

preilly79 wrote: »

I don't see any point - I mean who do you 'declare' it to. There is rarely any customs in Dublin airport so the chances of being stopped coming back are minimal anyway, but with a bit of grease and mud you can easily pass it off as used.
    Definitely worth doing - if you are buying a decent bike then the savings on postage/duties/vat will pay for your flight....

Yeah, exactly. As long as you are not trying it during the period they pretend to care (just before Christmas) you should be fine. Personally I would make at least a half-arsed effort to make it appear somewhat used but you would probably be OK either way. Just make sure the bike doesn't have a 110 V A/C adapter and you will be fine ;-)

Well hopefully I'll be doing some DH while I'm over there on the new bike so it may be scuffed up a little, particularly with the amount of falls I take.
    I'm looking at getting another higher scale Kona or Cannondale, about 2K here so at the current exchange rate and the dollar being really weak, I stand to save close to grand.
    Happy days.:D

Advertisement