Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why straddle?

• 14-04-2008 4:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭

Can anyone give me a good reason for putting a straddle (live or otherwise) into a live cash game?

I'm asking in particular about the 1/2 PL games played in Dublin and around the country. Turning a 1/2 NL game into a 1/2/5 game so that it is raked as 1/2 is +ev as long as you want to be playing a 2/5 game.

Especially in a game where only a few players are putting it in, how can it be +Ev to be putting in 2.5 bb's blind and out of position?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭The Tourist

There was some discussion of straddles recently in here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055267628

Straddles = waste of money imo. I recently watched a guy bust in the SE 1/2/5 game, reach into his pocket, buyin for €50, and immediately post €5 optional straddle. Hello?

I never post it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

Bad players make more profitable mistakes (in your favour) in bloated pots?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭El Stuntman

it really annoys aforementioned €50 buy-inners :)

like it or not, the game is now playing quite deep (I'd say average buy-in now is 4/500) and so it's just become a mechanism to avoid paying rake at a 2/5 level

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,764 ✭✭✭DeadParrot

Personally, I dont like it.
    I find you can end up playing bloated pots OOP with marginal or downright terrible holdings

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭El Stuntman

the key word is 'optional' btw

if you don't want to put it in, you should be happy someone else is doing it, no?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭KINGofHEARTS

lafortezza wrote: »
    Bad players make more profitable mistakes (in your favour) in bloated pots?

Exactly
    Can anyone give me a good reason for putting a straddle (live or otherwise) into a live cash game?

I'm asking in particular about the 1/2 PL games played in Dublin and around the country. Turning a 1/2 NL game into a 1/2/5 game so that it is raked as 1/2 is +ev as long as you want to be playing a 2/5 game.

Especially in a game where only a few players are putting it in, how can it be +Ev to be putting in 2.5 bb's blind and out of position?

It's done to build pots and get that extra money into the pot, is that not fairly obvious ???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Create action, to look cool, endless reasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭SpencerJames

When you straddle, there will be a variety of reactions. Most importantly, there ARE reactions and hopefully you can read these and anticipate reactions to manipulate the game conditions to your favor.
    Firstly, people tighten their play significaly when the straddle is introduced. This creates a lot of heads up play. Then something strange happens. Someone gets frustrated, annoyed or bored, raises preflop and takes the pot down with a poor hand like 79suited. What? He raised with79! Then the first raise loose a lot of value and respect and people start to call with cards that they would never have called with for 2 or so bets. So, you get a lot of big pots multi-way. Obviously this has advantages and disadvantages. Lloyd is wrong I believe in saying that it favors the weaker player. Is this not the situation the better player wants? Bigger pots against poorer players who are playing with substandard holdings?
    The age old argument is why straddle because you will be involved in a lot of multiway big pots with marginal hands that you won’t quite know where you are. This is true; the action is looser and faster. But the better player should be confident in his/her ability to out play the weaker player in these situations. Also when you do pick up a monster you are more likely to get looked up and with a ton of dead money in the middle.
    I play the straddle all the time. It creates more information for me. For example when there’s no straddle I find myself calling in position with very marginal hands. In the straddle I play fewer pots. This saves me the money that I use for the straddle and when I do play a hand I have more information to place my reads on, I have a bigger pot. When I have skilled players to my left, I love to straddle. They won’t play marginal hands that they would play normally for cheap oop. They reveal the strength of their hand to me. By raising a straddled pot utg or utg+1 I have a lot more information where I stand. When there’s tons of limpers, I’ll get to see a flop cheap on the button (with a hand no one can put me on)
    All of that and simply acting last preflop is worth two big bets to me? How is this a bad play! I feel very strongly about this.
    When it is right NOT to straddle?When done at the right times and in the right spot, it helps your hourly a bunch and allows you to maximize your skill.
    Don’t straddle if you don’t play well in awkward situations or doubt your ability. This should go without saying. It favors the Lag player for sure. Plus the games in Dublin are playing deep so rake is an issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

good for your image, i used to do it when i played live to avoid looking like a complete nit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Changing the font to that crap hurts my eyes therefore i dont read the posts, why do people do it, do they think it makes their posts stand out and more people will read them???!!!

Rant over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

I AGREE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

mdwexford wrote: »
    Changing the font to that crap hurts my eyes therefore i dont read the posts, why do people do it, do they think it makes their posts stand out and more people will read them???!!!

Rant over.

I think this happens when people compose their post in microsoft word and copy and paste. Closet perfectionist like yuletired imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Russh

Yeah....It's tough on the 'ol peepers, but worth reading nontheless......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭bops

because it's generally a good thing to give your nuts a bit of breathing space

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭strewelpeter

It's done to build pots and get that extra money into the pot, is that not fairly obvious ???
    Fair enough but I was thinking more in terms of how and why it would be +eV
    good for your image, i used to do it when i played live to avoid looking like a complete nit.
    Thats a good point and is the only reason I have for the odd occasion I have straddled (other than playing a de facto 2/5 game)
    ...Firstly, people tighten their play significaly when the straddle is introduced.
    This is not my experience of it, I see very little shift from business as usual.

The rest of your points are well made and give plenty of food for thought, though I'm not convinced. Good post, thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,404 ✭✭✭Goodluck2me

mdwexford wrote: »

Rant over.

Id much rather that, than poor speelingz and gramir.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭SpencerJames

I say that at the start people tighten but then it lossens up and people play with less than marginal hands

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭max_power

"Ah shure I had to defend me straddle"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭RoundTower

lloyd,

here's a thought experiment

suppose you are playing a pot limit game against a fish (you can think of someone specific if you like, or just a generic fishy guy)

you each have €10,000 stacks and you get to choose the blind levels.

You will get to play for four hours, no more, no less. If either of you go broke in that time you will reload to €10,000. What blinds do you choose to maximize your expected win?

Obviously €200-€500 would not be ideal, but €1-€2 would be even worse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,434 ✭✭✭cardshark202

I think a lot of people in this thread seem to still be confusing a straddle with a blind-raise. A straddle is live, a blind raise it not.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    we don't have 10k stacks. we have 300 - 800 stacks most of the time. And we get to play for more than four hours.
    that's irrelevant.

I'm just making it clear that decreasing the effective stack depth doesn't increase the edge of a good player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,434 ✭✭✭cardshark202

You said this in the other thread aswell. Eventhough it acts like a third blind that is hardly a good thing, right? I mean, even for winning players the blinds will be their least profitable positions on most tables.
    Yes but it increases the profitability of the other positions. When you straddle you are making the game twice as big perhaps, but you are not halving your winrate which you would need to be doing to make straddling a futile exercise

Lets say we play headsup and we aren't going to reload above our original buyin. Would you rather play me with 150 - 200BB stacks or 40 - 60BB stacks? Lets say you reckon you win most of the time unless I get lucky (which I would definitely need to in order to win). Which format gives me a better chance?
    and this isn't close to the same situation either

Yes but it increases the profitability of the other positions.
    But you are not in the other positions when you are throwing dead money into
    the pot. OK if everyone is doing it then its a 2/5 game. If a few people are doing it then it is only to your advantage if you are in position relative to them.

I don't see how it being a live straddle or a blind raise makes a huge difference. The only time the fact of a straddle being live comes into play is when the pot is limped around to a straddler that wants to inflate the pot further. which is pretty unusual in my experience.

Often its like there is a 2/5 and a 1/2 game going on at the same table. Good position against LAGs (good or not) who are building pots out of position should be profitable for a competent player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

I don't see how it being a live straddle or a blind raise makes a huge difference. The only time the fact of a straddle being live comes into play is when the pot is limped around to a straddler that wants to inflate the pot further. which is pretty unusual in my experience.

Thats because its being used wrong by most people - a straddle should lead to a decent player raising very light in position giving the straddler a chance to 4 bet even lighter, if nobody raises the straddle they are probably weak so you should pump it.

The only time Ive really pushed for a straddle was in Mr Flibbles home game, there was a max buyin and Id won a few pots leaving me with nearly double the cap, - think it was 1/2 with 300 max buyin, my stack was around 600., making it 1/2/5 with 300 max buyin made sense. Still went home skint.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Jayminator

But you are not in the other positions when you are throwing dead money into
    the pot. OK if everyone is doing it then its a 2/5 game. If a few people are doing it then it is only to your advantage if you are in position relative to them.

Often its like there is a 2/5 and a 1/2 game going on at the same table. Good position against LAGs (good or not) who are building pots out of position should be profitable for a competent player.

Hi Tony,
    I love the live straddle for a number of reasons. A lot of these reasons have already been spoken about by Spencer J. Anyhow for me a live straddle (not a blind raise) makes for a better more interesting few hours of poker.

Towards the end of last year I was getting so so p**sed off at the bad play/ silly out draws etc etc that your normal 1/2 PL game allows for. Big pairs in 1/2 PL games became worthless in a limped pot etc etc. You make it €7 in early position with a premium PP and you got 7 or 8 callers. Ur screwd.... Nobody ever ever in the SE particularly, had the balls to re pop pots from an initial raiser and this became hugely frustrating for me.

The live straddle now allows you inflate pots to e.g €18 in early position so people are mucking marginal holdings more often. It creates more HU play and allows for a lot more real poker to be played.. (squezzing etc etc). You find out where you stand much easier when it gets more expensive to play pre flop and hugely reduces the outdraws by the oul 79H, 34D type hands.

So my reasons
    1) Creates bigger pots which I feel will be more profitable in the long run than worrying about whether its +EV to post the live straddle in the first place.
    2) Clears out a lot of the rubbish holdings and reduces multiway pots.
    3) Its just way more fun than the normal 1/2 PL call call call call scenario.
    4) I get greedy when I see 3 or 4 €5 limpers and get a bit crazy (sometimes) squeezing the s**t out of pots.
    5) You get HU more often with the fish who will still call €18 or €25 pre flop with the Ace rag hand cos they re sooooted and these are the people you want to be in pots against.
    6) The better players are folding their marginal hands OOP more often and they re the people you dont want to be in pots against.
    7) AND FINALLY........ Its great craic

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭mickc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭Marq

you get to say strudle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

Marq wrote: »
    you get to say strudle.
    On the veritable venetian.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

mickc wrote: »

Excellent detective work.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭mickc

[x] way too much time on my hands

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,771 ✭✭✭TommyGunne

Basically what RoundTower said. And obv the point on rake is really important, and P_L's one on image.

Really its just a way of getting bad players money faster. Assuming you are rolled for 2/5, and assuming most live players are really really bad, and that you have a BIG edge over them, letting the game be straddled to 1/2/5 is really profitable for you. You just get the retards money faster. These are generally pretty fair assumptions as well.

Obv if you're the only person in the game straddling your just being an idiot, but if you can induce a few guys to do this as well as yourself, particularly UTG to your BTN and CO, then you get yourself in really good spots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

It really didnt work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,577 ✭✭✭mormank

Marq wrote: »
    you get to say strudle.

and the dealer gets to say player x is paddling!!! yes, sir, its a live straddle, in fact, its the most live straddle in this room!! [pause for laughter]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Tom Hanlon

ok, my 2 cents.

You have an advantage in poker if you are playing within a comfort zone and if putting a live straddle you take other people out if theirs it will definitely be an advantage to you. Some people play poker like matching symbols so you can bully these players easily enough. The lineup and size of the tanks at the table should influence your decision whether to straddle or not. Their is no point going a $5 straddle if the average tank is $50 as if they call the $5 they are nearly pot commited for their tank and there will be no real poker play in the hand.

My main experience is at PLO where a live staddle will help you keep pressure on limpers and if players want to draw to anti percentage draws then this will ensure they pay a heavy price for doing so.

Tom

Tom Hanlon wrote: »
    Some people play poker like matching symbols so you can bully these players easily enough.

I love that line.
    Jayminator wrote: »
    6) The better players are folding their marginal hands OOP more often and they re the people you dont want to be in pots against.
    7) AND FINALLY........ Its great craic

Lots of good stuff there. Thanks.

I've always been delighted to see other people putting it on when I'm in position but couldn't see any reason for it.
    I think the thing I'd need to change in order to make strudelling worthwhile is to play a bit deeper than the 2 -300 I've always used.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Conbro

You have an advantage in poker if you are playing within a comfort zone and if putting a live straddle you take other people out if theirs it will definitely be an advantage to you.

+1

Advertisement