Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Move to OZ advice

Options
  • 14-04-2008 5:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭

I’m thinking about emigrating to Oz, initially on a years working visa to try it out but with the hope of being sponsored and if I like it staying longer. I’ve been to oz before on a holiday visa and loved it and said I would love to live there.

I’m 24, have a degree in an area where there are plenty of jobs going, the salary is about 50k dollars, would I have a good standard of living on that?

I’m thinking of going to Perth, I have a mate out there to so that would help, would Perth be a better choice then Sydney/Brisbane/Melbourne? The only reason I’m worried about Perth is it’s just so isolated.

Also what are the ozzies like to work with, are they really hard workers or more laid back? I’ll probably be working in the public sector in a council if I do go.

If I do go I’m thinking roughly September/October. Is it better to have a job sorted or temp for a while while looking for a good job?

I’m not totally sure about it all yet, but i'm looking for advice from people that have done it and their experiences with getting a visa, settling down, the lifestyle etc. At the moment I’m living in Dublin working a mundane low paid job unrelated to my degree (cannot get a job in my field for love or money here) and recently became single after 4 years and it seems the perfect opportunity for me. It’s just so far away that’s the thing!

Thanks for any help and advice!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I’m thinking about emigrating to Oz, initially on a years working visa to try it out but with the hope of being sponsored and if I like it staying longer. I’ve been to oz before on a holiday visa and loved it and said I would love to live there.

I’m 24, have a degree in an area where there are plenty of jobs going, the salary is about 50k dollars, would I have a good standard of living on that?

Most definitely yes if you are in shared accommodation. On your own might be a bit more tricky. I'm currently on c. 40k in my new job and I get by no hassle. Hopefully a raise will be on the way shortly and I'll be laughing.
    I’m thinking of going to Perth, I have a mate out there to so that would help, would Perth be a better choice then Sydney/Brisbane/Melbourne? The only reason I’m worried about Perth is it’s just so isolated.

Can I ask why that worries you?

It only matters if you're going to be driving from say Sydney to Melbourne while backpacking. To live and work in it's no different to any other city in the world. Plus if you drive 3 or 4 hours north, south or east you can find some of the most fantastic scenery you could get. It's great for long weekend road trips.
    Also what are the ozzies like to work with, are they really hard workers or more laid back? I’ll probably be working in the public sector in a council if I do go.

As I said in my post on the other thread, they are pretty laid back. Love their after work drinks on a Friday etc.
    If I do go I’m thinking roughly September/October. Is it better to have a job sorted or temp for a while while looking for a good job?

As you're on a visa I'd take whatever you can to start off. It's not easy to convince employers to take you on if you can only stay in the one job for 6 months.
    I’m not totally sure about it all yet, but i'm looking for advice from people that have done it and their experiences with getting a visa, settling down, the lifestyle etc. At the moment I’m living in Dublin working a mundane low paid job unrelated to my degree (cannot get a job in my field for love or money here) and recently became single after 4 years and it seems the perfect opportunity for me. It’s just so far away that’s the thing!

Thanks for any help and advice!!

I left Dublin cause I was bored of everything I was doing and fancied a change. Best thing I ever did.

Any other questions you have feel free to drop me a PM.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Diamondmaker

And the contrast to the above........

I did not like Perth, as you can tell by my ID I am in Brizzy.

Before coming out it was between Perth and Brisbane to live due to weather and building employment.

Sydney to big, busy expensive and similar to Dublin in big city ways
    Melbourne all of the above plus add on cold winters, not why I went to Oz !
    Canberra, Darwin, Adelaide...nice to visit...

Brisbane and Perth were the only choices to me really, both with great climate. I think Brisbane will shade it in the winter however.

Brisbane is proving to be an excellent base to see alot. 1 -3 hrs drive north or south has the whole Gold and sun shine coast to explore on day trip and w/e away. You can be in Byron Bay in 2 hrs or Noosa.

Brisbane it slef has a lot of old character in the city and nice suburbs. It is chilled out and easy to get around. There is heaps to do and out door life is king.

Perth has beaches on the doorstep which is a plus, Brizzy requires 1hr drive to get to nearest really.

Brisbane and Perth are both good employment prospects. Im making 75k on probation in building so money here is good and its an eployees market.

All in all we are happy here and plan to stay, it really is a pleasant place and is everything I always imagined life should be like..:)

Big thumbs up for Brizzy too!

As above any more info PM me, ill have you swung to the sunshine state :)

Ultimately the isolation of Perth swung htings for me..

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Norinoco

The only reason I’m worried about Perth is it’s just so isolated.

You'll still find you are going to be hopping on a plane to go to any of the other city, whether you are in Sydney or Perth...except Perth is a little more expensive to fly out of and a longer flight. So on the map it does look isolated, but you can still get everywhere.
    The bonus of living in Perth is you are on the prettiest coast in Oz, the scenery up there is unrivalled by the east coast. The Ningaloo Reef out does the Great Barrier a hundred times over and you have some really nice beaches only a couple of train stops away...and you can't beat rottnest island in the good weather.

Absolutely loved Perth, nicely layed back and the people are a lot friendlier than the mad mix of nationalities in Sydney or Mel. Granted I now live in Sydney and don't have a minute to myself with the gaa, gigs and leaving/arriving drinks...but I love that about the place...and I'm sure I could lead a lot quiter life if I wanted to!!

Advertisement