Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beginner Question

Options
  • 14-04-2008 5:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭

Hey i'm looking to get some advice about what first board to buy, just came back from my first surf trip, got up second or third try on those crappy foam boards and had absolutely no problems. I skateboarded for about 5 years so people have been telling me a 6'7" would be alright? any help would be much appreciated:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

Hey i'm looking to get some advice about what first board to buy, just came back from my first surf trip, got up second or third try on those crappy foam boards and had absolutely no problems. I skateboarded for about 5 years so people have been telling me a 6'7" would be alright? any help would be much appreciated:)

I'm also a beginner, but I went through these same questions last year when buying a board.

It depends on your weight, height etc.
    You need to have enough buoyancy to carry your weight & enable you to catch a wave.

A 6'7 board would be very small, unless you're a young teenager.

I think the general advice I've read is to get a board that's 2-3 feet longer than you're height.
    For example, I'm 5'6, got a 7'7 beginner board. I ain't been out nearly enough on it, but I think its the right size starter for me.

Remember, those big foam boats are about 8-9 foot long, so you lose a lot of stability the shorter & narrower your board gets.

I'm sure some more experienced people on here, possibly even instructors could give you some more advice on what you need to consider before splashing out.

Have a search on here for similar questions in the past, and google for tips on how to choose a board, there's plenty of info out there.

Ring a few shops too to see what they would recommend & get some prices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭Assmaster_Kronk

Well i'm about 5'10" and 12 stone, i'm kinda trying to avoid the whole "step down boards as i go" idea, i dont really have the money so i'm going for a board thats difficult enough to use now but i wont need anything else for a few years.........if thats possible:D though i might have the completely wrong idea

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

a lot of people are obsessed with having shortboards for some reason... Anyway at your height and weight I'd go for a 7'6'' minimal. Ideal starter board for someone like you. Plus you can use a board that size on pretty much any size waves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Shloop

Im about 5'10 and I started surfing just under a year ago on a 7'3 board and I've no complaints :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭tippbhoy

yeah the 7'6" is your baby. You're wasting your time with anything below 7'3", any less and you won't get the enjoyment out of it and the lack of progress will probably cause you to throw in the towel. There's a big step from a foamy to a hard board i can tell you. Second hand boards will hold a lot of their value so i wouldn't be too concerned about the cost of downgrading to a smaller board, you'll sell a 7'6" no bother if you feel like a change.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭tippbhoy

By the way I've a WestBay 6'10" for sale if you're interested. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

Hey i'm looking to get some advice about what first board to buy, just came back from my first surf trip, got up second or third try on those crappy foam boards and had absolutely no problems. I skateboarded for about 5 years so people have been telling me a 6'7" would be alright? any help would be much appreciatedsmile.gif

Here's some impartial advice from a surf instructor.
    A 6'7" for someone with your experience and size is an absolute waste of time. It's way too small to learn on. Who has told a beginner to buy what's a performance length board?
    Anyways, get a 7"6 minmal you will learn real quick on and you should hold onto it as it's a great board for your quiver in the future if you decide to get a smaller selection, easy to sell if you're broke too.
    Best of luck in the water and read up on rips and general safety.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 RedStarHardkore

When I was in your position, I was thinking the same thing. Buy a shorter board and take longer to progress to save money in the long run. After asking for advice from many people, the best advice I got was from somebody who was in the same position as me. He went for the short board and found he could not progress over almost two years no matter how much he went out. He ended up buying a longer board afterwards and still uses that mainly.

I'm 5'10, so I bought a 7'8 judging from the 2 foot guideline. I've never looked back. My board is exellent IMO. I see people on short boards going for waves and missing them when my board can catch them no probs. Ok, so a short board looks cool, but I don't surf to look cool. I surf for fun and my board maximises that.

My 2c.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,246 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Well i'm about 5'10" and 12 stone, i'm kinda trying to avoid the whole "step down boards as i go" idea, i dont really have the money so i'm going for a board thats difficult enough to use now but i wont need anything else for a few years.........if thats possible:D though i might have the completely wrong idea
    Im about the same size as you, maybe a bit lighter

I bought a 6'7" board when I was about 13 or 14, it was perfect then but I stopped surfing for a few years

When I went back I was about 18/19 and found it much more difficult as I had grown so much, I definiately would have gotten back into it much faster on a 7'6" - i'd recommend one of these too

Remember it's not all about having a shortboard, you see international class surfers surfing 9ft boards

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭lisbon_lions

7'6" pop out may be the way to go. I got the NSP one and it did me a few good years (still have it), im 5'8" and 12 stone and its perfect.

If you are more adventerous, then a 7' Fat boy flyer. The extra bit of volume makes up for the less lenght and a little down the line you will be turning nicely on the waves in a way you couldnt with a 7'6" pop out.

those would be my 2 suggestions..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭devinejay

I hope I'm not stepping on toes here cause I've seen a few other threads with heated newbie related comments, but I was wondering would some of the more experienced members here be willing to contribute to a beginners sticky/guide. It's obvious that surfing is a rapidly growing sport in Ireland and something like this could be useful to lots of people. I myself hope to give it a go this summer, my cousin is big into it so hopefully he'll help me but not everyone knows someone.
    All I've ever heard when talking with people about surfing is "Isn't there a surf school down in Lehinch?" Things like easy places to start, are surf schools worth it, if you decide to buy your own stuff what can you expect to shell out for a decent set up would then all be useful info to someone thinking of starting. It could even save you time answering further newb questions down the road.

Worth considering?

_John_

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

How do you mean devinejay - like a sticky in it with guides to buying gear, tips and so on ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kell

If you are more adventerous, then a 7' Fat boy flyer. The extra bit of volume makes up for the less lenght and a little down the line you will be turning nicely on the waves in a way you couldnt with a 7'6" pop out.

Echoed. I am about 6' and about 11st and went for a fish a little over 7'. Best decision I have made in a long time.

K-

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭devinejay

Yeah, cause basically I (and I'm sure a whole bunch of other people) I'm interested in picking up surfing, but don't know much at all.

Tips for beginner gear, where to buy, lingo, maybe some gentler surf spots, good instructors etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

hey all,

i am looking to buy my first board too, been out a few times on rented boards and think it would make more sense to buy one. i have found a 7'9" mini mal on the net for a nice price. would this be a good beginner board or should i get a long board?

fyi i am an ambitious 5'10" and 85kg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,246 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

lg123 wrote: »
    hey all,

i am looking to buy my first board too, been out a few times on rented boards and think it would make more sense to buy one. i have found a 7'9" mini mal on the net for a nice price. would this be a good beginner board or should i get a long board?

fyi i am an ambitious 5'10" and 85kg
    This would be fine for you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

All you guys seem pretty fit and light, what if you're about 6' ad weight about 16stone, hypothetically of course, should you go longer again?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

All you guys seem pretty fit and light, what if you're about 6' ad weight about 16stone, hypothetically of course, should you go longer again?

Well when I started I was 15 - 15.5 Stone and also 6 Foot.

I started out on a Hi-Fly 7 10 which was perfect for me to start out, bit sticky to paddle-turn but not too bad and pretty bouyant too.

I traded up to longboard shortly after that, and surf a 9 2 Sunride now.

In your case I definately wouldnt go any lower than a 7 10. You should be able to pick up a cheap enough second hand board that would suit you theres always bic magnums (8 4) for sale and I hear theyre not so bad for statring out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Thanks, appreciate the info

Advertisement