Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How many have YOU gone through

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Mine will be two years old in August. Has been repaired once.

In regards to games, I haven't enjoyed a console as much in ten years. Beats the pants off the last generation.

But you have to admit, the hardware is a piece of absolute rubbish.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

00sully wrote: »
    yes and we should put them out in the middle of our living rooms with a couple of fans pointed at them :rolleyes: "fit for purpose" every tv appliance sits under the tv.
    I will keep my 360 purely for the games but MS handling of this is far from acceptable. when more peoples 360's die on this thread who haven't had a problem ye should report it to the sticky on top! it'll happen to 30% of you statistically :p

I love it when people use :rolleyes: to make their point. Really reinforces it.

Do you honestly believe that someone who had SEVEN rrods is just THAT unlucky. You don't reckon that an issue that is proven to be related to ventilation could possibly be caused by how that person has it stored or the ambient temp in their home?

As for MS handling of the situation I would love to know how you would go about 'handling' it without driving the xbox division of MS into the ground. They are not a charity, shock, horror they are actually out to make a profit so replacing every buggered unit with a brand new Elite and a promise that it won't happen again is doubtful beyond consideration.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭peterk19

ive had 4 360's, 1 launch console 1 about a year and a half old and 2 elites never had any problems

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,027 ✭✭✭✭Basq

.. but i've only had it for about 8 months,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

still on my first....Have it about a year. Bought it from a mate of a mate so im not sure when it was first purchased (could be a launch day console) but when I called M$ about a problem I had about a week after I bought it they only registered it then (I told them I had just bought it didn't say it was 2nd hand) so hopefully it will be under waranty for a while

Never had any probs although 2 out of my 3 xbox owning friends have had their's sent for repair.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Still on my first. Its a year and a half old now. I'd agree with others in that its the best console I've had, getting far more use than my PS2 or Xbox 1 or Wii ever got. Still prefer to game on my pc though :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

Still on my first one, and year and a half old now, bless it's little cotton socks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,372 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Have had mine for 2 years. Never had any trouble with it yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

err actually FIX ones that get sent back or REPLACE them with new ones that wont break. did you not read people getting RROD 2 minutes after receiving a "repair"?

What do you think they do to them when they get back for repair in MS? Just open them up and have a look before putting the cover back on?

No one knows how those unlucky peoples machines got RROD straight away. For all we know they were bouncing around in the cargo hold of a courier company plane and then the back of a van before arriving at their front doors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

had mine for ~2 years, get RROD alot when I first got it, put it on its side, havent gotten it in 1.5 years! never had to do any more than turn it off and on again.

so 1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

I'm still on my first one.... 2 months after getting it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,606 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Launch one is long gone..
    1st Elite died after a few months.......On 2nd one (Falcon) at the moment since March..
    Three of us all bought launch systems on day one........one gone, one died after a year and got destroyed in a fit of rage (still has his HDD, but has refused to replace the system....can't blame him in some ways), and the last fella has had to go through the repair process at least 4 times..

You can work out the reliability factor just from that little experience.....not good would be an understatement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

1!
    Yep still using the day one launch console and very happy about that!
    (also does not cash ever!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭00sully

I love it when people use :rolleyes: to make their point. Really reinforces it.

I'd roll them if i was talking to you in person too!
    bucks73 wrote: »
    No one knows how those unlucky peoples machines got RROD straight away. For all we know they were bouncing around in the cargo hold of a courier company plane and then the back of a van before arriving at their front doors.

yeah they ALL must be damaged so when they came over here on the boat from china - then on to vans into shops - then from shops in to cars driving over our rampy pothole ridden roads :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,570 ✭✭✭Damien360

Mine has died 3 times in 16 months. I am awaiting a replacemnet console since it died 30 minutes after receiving it back from a repair.

I have had pretty much enough and am buying a PS3 on Friday/Saturday.

The 360 is dead......long live the PS3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

1 bought near enough launch day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

Nuff said.

I'd roll them if i was talking to you in person too!

You're one of the reasons that smiley should be banned.

Seriously tho - since you're so convinced that more than 50% of 360s are faulty what would your policy be? They are repairing and replacing defective units and have taken steps in the design phase to reduce the issue, namely in the form of the falcon core.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

bucks73 wrote: »

fact is, refurbs are statistically almost certain to die again from everything ive seen and read about them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭00sully

maybe they should replace all defective units with at least the new mother boards that have the newer more relaiable cpu's :)

mine will arrive tomorrow - if it's a repair job on my old one and not a new one like they said they would send - should i be pissed? of course i should. MS Customer service said they would send me a brand new 360. if it fails in a short while odds or they sent me a refurb. i'll know straight away if its my old one of course!

sure even a company in england refuses to repair em knowing they can only do a temp fix on em - thats why MS should either replace ALL defective units - and if its 15% as they say it is then it would save em the hassle of having to continously fix return after return from the same "15%"

seriously, if it is as low as 15% then surely they would be better of financially replacing them than having to pay UPS - plus repairs all the time? this is another reason i think its way higher than they are saying!!?? make sense?

i like the rollseyes :D

• Advertisement

Obviously it wouldn't be cheaper or they would do it. Fair enough this would indicate its higher than 15% - but you said the majority which I completely disagree with.

Its not like I'm saying MS are innocent but the terms of the warranty are that they will repair or replace. The only reason UPS pick up and drop off is because they are competing with Sony and Nintendo and therefore don't want the bad press.

Seriously though - they are doing exactly what Sony or Ninty would do in the same situation. Sony are just as big a shower of **** - people seem hasty to forget their dead pixel fiasco on the PSPs and their blatant disregard for consumers on their rootkit scandal.

Ninty fair enough have little or no bad press and learned from Sony's dead-pixel fiasco and promised to replace any DS with even one dead pixel.

Fair enough products fail, and sometimes fail more than they should, but we're talking about global conglomerates here, they didn't get to be the biggest companies in the world by being charities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,568 ✭✭✭savemejebus

The main problem is that MS either still haven't found a design that doesn't fail or have serious problems with quality control in their factories which allow 1 in 3 consoles to go out faulty. I've had 2 elites die on me, one of which was a falcon, so the new models aren't any more 'failure-proof' than the others, it's just a numbers game.

This info is interesting though http://blog.seattlepi.nwsource.com/digitaljoystick/archives/129866.asp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

Ninty fair enough have little or no bad press and learned from Sony's dead-pixel fiasco and promised to replace any DS with even one dead pixel.

Slightly off topic, but just wanted to mention that that was Nintendo of America only. I know because I went through a lot of hassle trying to get my DS which had dead pixels replaced and in the end I had to just give up and keep it.

With regards to 360, I'm on my fourth and I've had this one since November so it's looking good. I've no problem at all with Microsoft's service in the event it does break, as their customer support has been excellent, but the design of the console is a disgrace and I'm sure MS were fully aware it was poorly constructed when they first released it, but it was important to sacrifice quality in order to release the console early and cheaply to get a lead on Sony in market share, which they've achieved and from their point of view makes up for all the costs and bad publicity, even if it makes life a misery for consumers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭-annex-

On my fourth. Although the last time I called I kicked up a bit of a fuss. I wasn't too bothered in reality as I'd plenty of college stuff to be doing without having something to distract me. When I got it back they'd included a 12 month XBL Gold card in the box. I thought that was pretty decent of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭xanthor

Launch day Premium at least until i traded it in against an Elite last August.

That Elite lasted a week.

The second Elite is fine....... so far.

Advertisement