Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fair Weather 14th April 2008

• 14-04-2008 7:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭

Lovely day here in south Laois with lots of sunshine. I decided to scale the western side of the Castlecomer pleatau...

April142008C.jpg

Looking south into Kilkenny...

April142008A.jpg

Looking north across western Laois...

April142008B.jpg

The ASL there is approx 310m. What a glorious day.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Makes you smile does'nt it?

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Beautiful countryside there Danno.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Thanks guys. The photos were taken from the top of this hill... (photographed on Mar 3rd I think)

S5000370a.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Paddy.1

Fantastic shots Danno, great weather and great scenery. Had the pleasure of spending a week down in Loais late last summer and I loved it. Some surprisingly hilly places despite the glorious plains. If ever I was to move away from this spot, Loais or Kilkenny would be my first preference to live.

The hills around here are indeed quite interesting as they create rain shadow effects, especially in showery weather. Often here, we'd only get the "tail-end" of a heavy shower or sometimes miss out completely, like last Sunday gone. About 2 or 3 miles up or down the road and it can be a different day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,470 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Lovely pics Danno, looks like a beautiful part of the country there.
    I love the endless green fields, very peaceful.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭kerry1960

april142008ceh7.jpg

This one my personal fav danno , but one question , how come at 300mts in your loc there is order ,ie pastureland/cows grazing peacefully/esb poles/smart laoismen .........whereas in my loc at 300mts its disorder , ie , bog/heather/sheep/poteen/and half crazed kerrymen ...........answers.........????????????

I guess that it is the rather low rainfall here. The Castlecomer Pleatau comes in at under 1000mm average rainfall each year. Also, the area is very well drained. Four rivers/rivlets join the Nore within 2 miles of here. Finally the soils here are very sandy as that ridge you see in the photo you liked is the southern most boundary of the last Ice Age. The boundary ran in a line from Wicklow to Limerick roughly.

Alot of the hills in this area are like it. In fact, next time you are heading towards Dublin on the N8, keep a view to your right between Urlingford and Durrow. The hills all range from 250m to 350m, yet fine green fields at the tops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

The first picture is gorgeous, really summery :)

Advertisement