Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can a company take money back from your account?

Options
  • 14-04-2008 7:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭

Say I take out a loan. I give my direct details.

Then they lodge the loan into my account.

Can they change their minds and take the money out once it goes in?

Comments

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,919 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

That's a bit of a grey area. First of all when you get a loan you'd be giving them your current account details anyway, so it's not like you can avoid giving your account details and then leg it with the cash. What is the circumstance here exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Is your bank account with the people whom gave you the loan. Yes, some more back ground will help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

As above and as above!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭LouOB

No one has a right to debit your account unless they have your written permission
    ie standing order or direct debit - full stop

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

LouOB wrote: »
    No one has a right to debit your account unless they have your written permission

No, wrong. There are plenty of situations where a BANK can remove money from your account. Its in the small print of the T&C's. As for 3rd party companies yes they need your permission.

We await the OP's response here to clarify who did it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Nobody took money from my account, I never said they did! Appriciate I could have given more info or an example though !

Say I have a BOI current account and I got a loan from Rabo. Rabo approve the loan and transfer the money into my account. Can they then take this back for any reason?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Do you mean if you stop making payments on it or something? No. They'll have other ways of getting back though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Say I have a BOI current account and I got a loan from Rabo. At the same time I'm also waiting on a response from AIB for a loan. Rabo approve the loan and transfer the money into my account. Can they then take this back for any reason?

So that it would be safe enough to tell AIB that I don't need the loan now, but thanks very much .. without having to back track if Rabo took the money back?

I don't know why Rabo would take the money back ... change of mind maybe? Or whatever..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

Not unless you planned to buy a shipment of coke or something outragous like that. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,650 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

LouOB wrote: »

Yeah, but most likley in the T&C of the loan, one gave them permission.

• Advertisement
Advertisement