Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

to be or not to be?.......

Options
  • 14-04-2008 8:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

Just wondering.

My mate is putting in for a 9mm pistol and a.308 rifle. He is shooting almost as long as me and has a shotgun and .22 rifle already. He was in the station today and was told the local super has not approved any pistols in his area:rolleyes:

So is it still the super, that signs off on pistols or is it down to the Commissioner now?

Both guns will be used for target.

Thanks for the help;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭dresden8

Still the super I think until the cjb is enacted.

Which area by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭chem

Navan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Bananaman

He'll need to be a member of a pistol club/range to get the pistol license - i.e. he needs to have somewhere to use it.

For the .308 he'll either need to be a member of a center fire rifle club/range or else have land on which their are deer to hunt on.

The new procedures in relation to pistol licenses come in on the 1st of May. I have heard of plenty of Supers kicking to touch at this stage as they will not issue any more and will leave it to the new office next month.

B'Man

Cheers B`man. He has membership of a pistol and rifle club, but you know how that never stopped a super in the past;)

So by the end of this month (and the rainbow:D) all will be good. Fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭freddieot

As far as I can remember the Super in Navan was taken to court by a Garda living in his area over refusal of a 9mm application. The Court ruled in favour of the Super - have not heard much recently - it's probably subject to appeals process.

Just something for your bud to be aware of - Navan Super hates 9mm !!

• Advertisement

freddieot wrote: »
    As far as I can remember the Super in Navan was taken to court by a Garda living in his area over refusal of a 9mm application. The Court ruled in favour of the Super - have not heard much recently - it's probably subject to appeals process.

Just something for your bud to be aware of - Navan Super hates 9mm !!

Anyone know if the NARGC have draged the said super to the high courts yet? Or is he OK with large cal rifles? How is he on the numbers 45,40 and todays letters M and M:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭meathshooter

chem wrote: »
    Navan
    asfik the super in navan has a high court case for refusing pistol which he lost,the garda who brought the super to court is ashbourne
    case still pending garda posted a reply somewhere on this boards

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Maybe give it a go. Psychologically .40 or .38 sounds puny compared to 9.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Saddlebags

asfik the super in navan has a high court case for refusing pistol which he lost,the garda who brought the super to court is ashbourne
    case still pending garda posted a reply somewhere on this boards

Correct me if i'm wrong but did that Garda not win in the circuit appeal court?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭meathshooter

Saddlebags wrote: »
    Correct me if i'm wrong but did that Garda not win in the circuit appeal court?

That I dont know ,but I would expect him to win when it came to court

• Advertisement

Ok just over two weeks since my friend applied for his pistol and .308 and notting yet. Have larned its Inspector Pat Gannon in navan dealing with the licence. Anyone know any joy/horror stories?

Also got in touch with the garda, who was refused his licence. Seems it was a different area and not covered by navan, where he applied. So fingers crossed on hearing good feedback;):D

Advertisement