Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Planning on building a house, but clueless

• 14-04-2008 8:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭

Hi folks. Just a quick one. I was fortunate enough to be given a site by my family and I can use it once I get FPP. Ive seen plenty of prices on here of anything between €50 per sq ft to €130. If we sell the house we are currently living in, we will have, after clearing the mortgage, around €200,000 to play with. Im slightly confused with the sq ft pricing, as many dont say whether it includes the site.

Realistically speaking, would It be possible to build something between 2000-2500 sq ft fully furninshed etc.etc. gardens, drives with the €200,000 or will we end up getting another smaller mortgage or bank loan to finish the house. The idea of living mortgage free is very appealing to myself and my partner. Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated. Its in Cork county BTW. Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭rebellad

Welcome to the wonderful world of building your own house :-). I am currently in the process of getting quotes together and deciding the Contractor or Direct Labour route. Like yourself I was very clueless about the whole thing at the start but thanks to some friends and the very helpful people here my knowledge has expanded quite a bit. I am building in Cork and I have been lucky enough to get a site myself. I have had quotes ranging from €70 to €90 /sq ft from contractors for a basic builders finish. I would guess that most of the prices on here exclude the site cost but I stand to be corrected. As for building a 2000-2500 sq ft house for 200k I think it would be very possible, builders seem quite keen for work so make sure you do plenty of haggling!! Anyways thats my 2p worth , hope it helps some bit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 656 ✭✭✭davidoco

If you ever watched Grand Designs you will notice that every single project where the couple wanted to be mortgage free ended up getting some sort of mortgage in the end. Maybe it's Murphys law.

Take the middle ground and assume it's going to cost you €90 per sq ft and built to your max sq ft on that 2200 sq ft

Another thing to do is throw together a design you might like, get it priced to shell stage by contractor (foundation, walls, roof) and then have a look around this site for the variations in the cost of windows, heating systems, gardens, wells, treatment systems, kitchens, bathrooms, flooring and general finishes. Add the cost of the standard you would like to the cost of the shell.

Also read every inch of this post
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055036901&page=1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭wiseolsham

rebellad wrote: »
    Welcome to the wonderful world of building your own house :-). I am currently in the process of getting quotes together and deciding the Contractor or Direct Labour route. Like yourself I was very clueless about the whole thing at the start but thanks to some friends and the very helpful people here my knowledge has expanded quite a bit. I am building in Cork and I have been lucky enough to get a site myself. I have had quotes ranging from €70 to €90 /sq ft from contractors for a basic builders finish. I would guess that most of the prices on here exclude the site cost but I stand to be corrected. As for building a 2000-2500 sq ft house for 200k I think it would be very possible, builders seem quite keen for work so make sure you do plenty of haggling!! Anyways thats my 2p worth , hope it helps some bit

Cheers for the reply. At the moment, Im going hot and cold towards the idea. I guess at the end of the day Im terrified of the whole thing going tits up and herself will never forgive me and we'll end up with nowhere to live or be in limbo for years.

The quotes you recieved, I take it that just included a plastered house, no kitchen, bathroom fixtures etc.etc.etc. or did it. Not too up on the lingo. If you dont mind, what size is the house your building. And is it from a contractor or are you doing everything yourself.

Apologies for all the ?'s, but wanna arm myself up before the ball gets rolling for designs and plans in the next few months.

davidoco wrote: »
    If you ever watched Grand Designs you will notice that every single project where the couple wanted to be mortgage free ended up getting some sort of mortgage in the end. Maybe it's Murphys law.

Take the middle ground and assume it's going to cost you €90 per sq ft and built to your max sq ft on that 2200 sq ft

Another thing to do is throw together a design you might like, get it priced to shell stage by contractor (foundation, walls, roof) and then have a look around this site for the variations in the cost of windows, heating systems, gardens, wells, treatment systems, kitchens, bathrooms, flooring and general finishes. Add the cost of the standard you would like to the cost of the shell.

Also read every inch of this post
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055036901&page=1

Thanks for the reply. Grand Designs is never off my sky + planner at this stage, :) As for the mortgage free, yeah, Ive been thinking that. Too good to be true and all that. Potentially it would be nice to need just an extra 40K and get a bank loan over 5 years for that.

As for the shell stage, Im presuming your idea will work with the contractor. In the sense that Im telling him or her, go off and get them windows, that heating system and so on. I know this sounds like a thinko ? but as I said, Im more or less clueless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 656 ✭✭✭davidoco

wiseolsham wrote: »

As for the shell stage, Im presuming your idea will work with the contractor. In the sense that Im telling him or her, go off and get them windows, that heating system and so on. I know this sounds like a thinko ? but as I said, Im more or less clueless.

No, what I mean is that you contract someone to build the shell, and then you then go individually and get windows, etc sorted out by other suppliers.

• Advertisement

davidoco wrote: »
    No, what I mean is that you contract someone to build the shell, and then you then go individually and get windows, etc sorted out by other suppliers.

As I said, clueless. Cheers for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

wiseolsham wrote: »
    Hi folks. Just a quick one. I was fortunate enough to be given a site by my family and I can use it once I get FPP. Ive seen plenty of prices on here of anything between €50 per sq ft to €130. If we sell the house we are currently living in, we will have, after clearing the mortgage, around €200,000 to play with. Im slightly confused with the sq ft pricing, as many dont say whether it includes the site.

Realistically speaking, would It be possible to build something between 2000-2500 sq ft fully furninshed etc.etc. gardens, drives with the €200,000 or will we end up getting another smaller mortgage or bank loan to finish the house. The idea of living mortgage free is very appealing to myself and my partner. Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated. Its in Cork county BTW. Cheers

You wont do 2000 sq feet and all the rest for 200k

I am doing a job at present for a friend for whom the back garden budget is 110k:)

You could spend 50k on flooring and wall finishing and curtains.

You should also have a close look at the planning and servicing requirements for where u are at: is the site serviced with water/esb/sewage/etc
    Are there development levies?
    Will u in fact get FPP?

ircoha wrote: »
    You wont do 2000 sq feet and all the rest for 200k

I am doing a job at present for a friend for whom the back garden budget is 110k:)

You could spend 50k on flooring and wall finishing and curtains.

You should also have a close look at the planning and servicing requirements for where u are at: is the site serviced with water/esb/sewage/etc
    Are there development levies?
    Will u in fact get FPP?

Cheers for the reply!

While you could spend €50K on all of that, I doubt I'll be spending that, given the house where we currently live came in nowhere like that to finish.

€110K for a back garden, more power to em :) Essentially, the site, needs to be rotovated (where the garden section is) and seeded. Bushes and bee's can come at a later stage.

Water: Site is next to the water main
    ESB: Yup
    Sweage: No, thinking along the lines of a biocycle unit or similar.
    Development Levies: Not sure, 99% sure there's not! Will have to get 100% confirmation on that.

As for FPP, theres no reason I cant see why not. But, what I see, the county council might never see. Either way, theres only one way to find out.

Looking at past prices of builds on here (ones in the last 12 months) alot of people were building for anywhere between €50-100 per sq ft. Thats where Im getting the idea of around 2000ish sq ft, for the price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 641 ✭✭✭lanod2407

Don't underestimate the finishing costs - high risk that you'd go ahead, and find late in the process that the 200k is all but spent with sooooooo much left to do. It's a long process when you end up finishing out rooms one at a time. I'd say that you'd struggle to get it finished and moved in to a 2k - 2.5k sq ft house for 200k.

Your point regarding adding bushes/hedges later - it's a very small point, but I'd add them in as soon as possible, especially where they form a perimeter ......... the blighters take a few years to get established, and you're better off putting them in earlier so that they've started to develop by the time you move in - a lesson from one who waited. Just make sure that there's no risk of a machine needing to plough them up during the project.
    As I say it's not a biggie, but it'd be on my "wish I'd done that" list.

lanod2407 wrote: »
    Don't underestimate the finishing costs - high risk that you'd go ahead, and find late in the process that the 200k is all but spent with sooooooo much left to do. It's a long process when you end up finishing out rooms one at a time. I'd say that you'd struggle to get it finished and moved in to a 2k - 2.5k sq ft house for 200k.

Your point regarding adding bushes/hedges later - it's a very small point, but I'd add them in as soon as possible, especially where they form a perimeter ......... the blighters take a few years to get established, and you're better off putting them in earlier so that they've started to develop by the time you move in - a lesson from one who waited. Just make sure that there's no risk of a machine needing to plough them up during the project.
    As I say it's not a biggie, but it'd be on my "wish I'd done that" list.

Cheers for that! To be honest, I cant see how 200k would not finish a house, but as the title says Im clueless. Its only when I sit down with a contractor and get a quote that I'll know the deal I guess. Its probably pointless speculating, given what others have paid.

All I know is my head is a melting pot at the moment! It all depends on so many factors from selling our own house to getting the FPP. Arrrgghhhh!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭snellers

the more you read here the more you will be in the know.....

as said before finish is a major factor....we decided that a 'cheaper' kitchen...etc would be preferable and get as much bricks and mortar (or timber :-) for our euro as a lot easier to replace kitchen than to build extensions!

subject to PP my budget will be around the 200k mark with a view to approx 2000sq/ft house...but there will definately be around 25k to play with if need be (it's very unlikely to include comprehensive landscaping but will be a finished house.

don;t forget design of house is a major one too....(as I am experiencing) - anything outside of a 'box' shape house will effect the overall costing - curved walls...etc will be more expensive to implement.

Another really important factor I have had to consider was insulation....when striving for a passive (ish) house with a decent BER rating you really have to invest in this (and in the long run should save money with little or no heating bills) - as a general rule therefore the more windows per sq/ft the better spec insulation is required to make up for it within the rest of the house. A good architect (or whomever you use) should be able to assist with this and create a solution with maximum solar gain.

I am a real newby to all these terms but a little bit of research and you can find out further info.

best of luck

snellers wrote: »
    the more you read here the more you will be in the know.....

as said before finish is a major factor....we decided that a 'cheaper' kitchen...etc would be preferable and get as much bricks and mortar (or timber :-) for our euro as a lot easier to replace kitchen than to build extensions!

subject to PP my budget will be around the 200k mark with a view to approx 2000sq/ft house...but there will definately be around 25k to play with if need be (it's very unlikely to include comprehensive landscaping but will be a finished house.

don;t forget design of house is a major one too....(as I am experiencing) - anything outside of a 'box' shape house will effect the overall costing - curved walls...etc will be more expensive to implement.

Another really important factor I have had to consider was insulation....when striving for a passive (ish) house with a decent BER rating you really have to invest in this (and in the long run should save money with little or no heating bills) - as a general rule therefore the more windows per sq/ft the better spec insulation is required to make up for it within the rest of the house. A good architect (or whomever you use) should be able to assist with this and create a solution with maximum solar gain.

I am a real newby to all these terms but a little bit of research and you can find out further info.

best of luck

Cheers for the reply. I guess once we can get the house built we can take one room at a time. We took a year and half to do a back bedroom where we are now. Plenty of time I suppose. As it stands we are not too pushed with the garden end of things. The site is well surrounded by trees and the look, so hopefully a half decent lawn should be all we'd require and we can add the bushes and flowers later.

I agree with reading on here. Its great and friendly to boot!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭newname

Hi,
    It is possible to build a 2500 house for 200 K, But you will need price around. Many builders and subcontractors aren't that busy now so the quotes you get back may surprise you. I'm building a 2500 sq ft house in donegal and the prices i have back so far are - 52000 to wall plate, 8000 windows and doors (external) 14000 - plastering, 8500 kitchen, still waiting on a roof price. Allow about 25000 for fees like architect, planning tax! legal and water/electric etc, allow 7000 or so for a sewage treatment plant. You should at least be able to complete enough of the house to move in.

newname wrote: »
    Hi,
    It is possible to build a 2500 house for 200 K, But you will need price around. Many builders and subcontractors aren't that busy now so the quotes you get back may surprise you. I'm building a 2500 sq ft house in donegal and the prices i have back so far are - 52000 to wall plate, 8000 windows and doors (external) 14000 - plastering, 8500 kitchen, still waiting on a roof price. Allow about 30000 for fees like architect, planning tax! legal and water/electric etc, allow 7000 or so for a sewage treatment plant. You should at least be able to complete enough of the house to move in.

Thanks for that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I've started building a 2,500 sqft Dormer and I plan on finishing it for €160k to €180k but I'm going direct labour. I know you have got a free site but I would look at what the house will be worth if you were to sell it when you finish it and allow that you paid the going rate for a site in your area. i.e. if the site would cost you 110k and say 5k in council fees and it costs you 200k to finish thats 335k would the house be worth that if you were to sell it.

In previous years it has always been much cheaper to build a hosue than to buy a house however with house prices falling this might not be the case.

Quick example a friend of mine has paid 150k for a 3/4 acre site 1.5 miles from town, council fees are 10k and then he's building a 3,200 sq ft house which prices are coming in around 300k including a large garage so his mortgage will be around 450k, now new houses that were for sale before xmas at 405k just outside the town have now sold for 370k, so I don't honestly think his house will be worth more the 450k mortgage!!! Might be a topic for another thread so mods feel free to move if you like.

Villain wrote: »
    I've started building a 2,500 sqft Dormer and I plan on finishing it for €160k to €180k but I'm going direct labour. I know you have got a free site but I would look at what the house will be worth if you were to sell it when you finish it and allow that you paid the going rate for a site in your area. i.e. if the site would cost you 110k and say 5k in council fees and it costs you 200k to finish thats 335k would the house be worth that if you were to sell it.

In previous years it has always been much cheaper to build a hosue than to buy a house however with house prices falling this might not be the case.

Quick example a friend of mine has paid 150k for a 3/4 acre site 1.5 miles from town, council fees are 10k and then he's building a 3,200 sq ft house which prices are coming in around 300k including a large garage so his mortgage will be around 450k, now new houses that were for sale before xmas at 405k just outside the town have now sold for 370k, so I don't honestly think his house will be worth more the 450k mortgage!!! Might be a topic for another thread so mods feel free to move if you like.

Thanks for that. Im a wee bit terrified of the direct labour route, but have a couple of contractors to have a chat to. Some are family friends. 10k in council fees? Seems alot to me, whats he got for the 10k?

Ah its the standard 3k and then 7k towards a private lane. Contractors in Carlow have been quoting €75 to €80 a sq ft for a new build in recent Months so even at 80 thats 160k for the build and say another 6k for sewage system, 1.5k for ESB, then 5k for driveway and fencing etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭snellers

if i remember it's called 'council development scheme' ...or something similar. basically each council has different criteria and charges depending on what you are building and how large it is. - there is a thread a while ago where people posted there county rates - huge differences between some - these costs are appointed by local authority for local services....but from what I gather it is little more than a new build tax (unfortunately not optional)
    check out your local council planning info online and rates will be there somewhere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,408 ✭✭✭✭muffler

snellers wrote: »
    there is a thread a while ago where people posted there county rates
    That would be this thread

• Registered Users Posts: 49 EJD

Villain wrote: »

Villain - with regards to your example of your friend purchasing site and building however - is that comparing like with like? I mean are the houses for sale for €370K the same size and with comparable garden space etc?

• Advertisement

Well the house for sale is smaller but location is much better. I'd say Value wise my friends finished house will be worth more no question but not a 100k more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭250882

Sometimes I think its a real pity that its cheaper to build than buy.
    If building a house wasent cheaper there wouldnt be as many people just building boring boxes to save money, people would only build if they were prepared to spend the money on something quality.

250882 wrote: »
    Sometimes I think its a real pity that its cheaper to build than buy.
    If building a house wasent cheaper there wouldnt be as many people just building boring boxes to save money, people would only build if they were prepared to spend the money on something quality.
    I have to say Im both surprised and disappointed at those comments.

Would you care to elaborate on the issues of "boring boxes" and "something quality".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 641 ✭✭✭lanod2407

250882, surely you're not saying that the only reason to build should be the pursuit of aestethics?? On the basis that beauty is truly in the eye of the beholder (and how many of us would still be single if it were not???!!!), the problem still remains - what is one man's 'boring box' is another man's castle!!

Moderators - feel free to move this post to "Humour" or "Philosophy" if required!!!! :D

TGIF!

Im tempted to move a couple - maybe the romper room forum (if it existed)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭250882

Sorry to ruffle feathers. and I dont want to hijack the existing thread but allow me to elaborate please.
    I live in the country, rural Sligo, farmer country. A large percentage of the houses built here are simply built so that farmers son has somewhere to live, it is cheaper to build a house on a free site than buy an existing one and generally the free site is the one least suited to agriculture. Farmers son generally just wants a house (boring box) for as cheap as possible. Its a cultural thing, why buy an existing house thats just as close to the home farm when you could build your own for cheaper. Its not just new built houses sitting empty but old farmhouses needing minor renovation that are being left derelict.
    I have absolutely no problem with people building houses because they like the view or a certain style of house or just because they like the idea that they could design a house for themselves and I dont really care about the look of the house(within reason) as its a personal thing, if they want a house to suit them, a layout that they can customise to fit their lifestyle that cannot be found in any of the other generic housing estate type houses already built. Its a problem that keeps getting worse as everybody wants to build their own houses to incorporate better insulation and more en-suites and in an unserviced rural area the more treatment plants and septic tanks this will only cause pollution.

Advertisement