Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Postives of Chelsea's tropyless season..

• 14-04-2008 10:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭

So the main positive point is Avram Grant should be gone in the summer ...

jesus what the hell was RA and Kenyon thinking !! ??

get rid of a world class manager to bring in a fool with no tactics ...

Hopefully Rikjaard will come along ...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Don't count on it ending trophyless yet

Don't think a lot of Barcelona fans, including all of those on here would call Rikjaard world class

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

I would love it if Chelsea got man manager extraordinare Frank Rikjaard to deal with the ragtag bunch of egotistical Chelsea players, owner, management team and others.

It would be like Sweet Valley High.

Barcelona have been high entertainment the past few seasons with their internal squabbles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

I think grant gets a hard time due to the fact he's not a super star.

Wenger, Ferguson & Mourinho are all superstar managers. The showboaters of managers... always in the news, always winning, outspoken, fierce and can explode if things don't go their way.

Grant is a boring character with the personality of a brick wall. But Chelsea are still a very formidable side under him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Not that formidable.

Chelsea are still in with a shout of a trophy until they visit Anfield.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

jackdaw wrote: »

Brilliant!! Chelsea for a Uefa Cup fight next season then ya? The last thing Chelsea need is Rijkaard. Its surprising that you want him even though you live in Barcelona.. Have you seen them at all this season? :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

As a Chelsea fan I'm pretty confident we have a great chance of not ending the season trophyless. i honestly think we will beat Liverpool now that we can rest players for the Man Utd game and we beat Man Utd in a one off game in a similar situation last year at the end of the season.

Also, TBH, the results at the beginning of the season weren't great. 1-1 at home to Rosenborg to me is a sackable offense when you're on thin ice with the management and also, keep in mind that either Roman or Jose was going to have to leave eventually and I know which one I'd rather have. Needless to say Avram is hardly the calibre of manager that we could have gotten but he has done fairly well for us. Freak result against Barnsley aside and considering we were unlucky tonight and our season would be well on. I was expecting a transitional season this year so I'm delighted with the way things have turned out.

Also, in regards to the managerial setting, I always thought it was a little fishy that Ten Cate left a position as head coach of Ajax to be our assistant. Got the feeling that he asserts more control than you'd think, after all he had the fight with Terry. Hope to god we don't get Rijkard, terrible manager. Of the possible candidates I feel it's an Italian job and hope we get either Lippi or Ancellotti but if Roman wants attacking football with a quality manager who knows the english system he could do worse that Ranieri

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

TBH no manager will ever be good enough for Chelsea. The special one - one of the the best in the game yet he was sacked. RA has pumped nearly 500 million (open to correction) and he is entitled to demand perfection and trophies but money does not buy you heart,guts and determination. For all his money he will never get this. He can bring in the best manager in the world but how long until he gets sick of him??? A month , a year?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

right this is probably a long shot, but i wouldn't be at all surprised if Rafa were to somehow wind up at Stamford before the end of 2008. Ambramovich craves the champions league, and currently, despite his domestic failings, Rafa is the best man to deliver that judging on his record with Pool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭eddiehead

right this is probably a long shot, but i wouldn't be at all surprised if Rafa were to somehow wind up at Stamford before the end of 2008. Ambramovich craves the champions league, and currently, despite his domestic failings, Rafa is the best man to deliver that judging on his record with Pool.
    Eh, no thanks, ive spent far too much time slagging my liverpool mates about their shortcomings in the league. At this stage, id give a testicle to have Jose back but that aint gona happen:rolleyes:.
    I do like the idea of ancelotti or lippi though, chelsea were a machine when they were well organised from the back, these guys could deliver that...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭oobydooby

It must take a lot to surprise you! No chance, also if Chelsea beat Liverpool (and Chelsea must be favourites) then Rafa will be a failure again and there will be calls for his head. His style of football will be criticised by people who don't watch Liverpool or never saw his Valencia. Mourinho's made Chelsea in to winners, now they want the champagne stuff again. I'd expect to see Zola in the job next year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Anyone know why Lampard pulled out due to personal issues?

Benefitted me greatly as I had Hargreaves on the bench with ten points in fantasy football to come in and didnt expect to happen at all.

From the bbc website
    Frank Lampard had withdrawn from the team for personal reasons shortly before kick-off and the Blues boss said this may have affected his team's performance in the opening 45 minutes.

"It is a personal matter with Frank and I would prefer to leave it at that," added the Chelsea manager.

"I didn't like the first half but I think the players were a bit in shock because one of our best players had to leave the team at the last moment, which is understandable."

Was it a row or what's the story?

Looks very important given the result

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

In terms of teams I hate. I despise Man utd. During the mourinho era i despised chelsea but I really cant help feeling sorry for Grant.

Im confident we (liverpool can beat chelsea in the champions league) but a Utd Liverpool final is a different story for some reason grant never seemed to have a chance no matter what he did.

Grant will be gone. More than likely it will be rijkard....but if there looking for a serious manager id have a look at laudrup hes doing a great job at getafe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

oobydooby wrote: »
    It must take a lot to surprise you! No chance, also if Chelsea beat Liverpool (and Chelsea must be favourites) then Rafa will be a failure again and there will be calls for his head. His style of football will be criticised by people who don't watch Liverpool or never saw his Valencia. Mourinho's made Chelsea in to winners, now they want the champagne stuff again. I'd expect to see Zola in the job next year.

well who are the other candidates? there aren't many out there who will play with the style Ambramovich wants and have a strong enough personality to deal with the diva's in the Chelsea squad. I can see him getting in someone like Rikjaard in the summer, and it all going pear shaped fairly fast as the clashes of personality escalate. by then i think Rafa will have left Liverpool (the politics aren't going away anytime soon) but i don't think he'll take up a job immediately. come Nov-Dec i think Ambramovich could be desperate and Benitez would be the best option available at that stage, and i think Bentiez would take the job because he'll no doubt feel he has a point to prove to English football (i.e. 'proper investment and i'll win things').

either that or Kenyon will pull the next Arsene Wenger out of his hat. but i think that's unlikely, and i can't see any established candidates who fit the bill out there.

Theres going to be plenty of potential managers around the footballing world this summer, some big big names, some aspiring new managers destined for greatness, and others who are just crap;

Scolari, Rijkaard, Lippi, Ancelotti, Mancini, Pellegrini, Marcelino (destined to be massive imo, gonna be better than Juande Ramos), Mourinho, Koemann, and maybe even Benitez and Schuster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

Bubs101 wrote: »
    Also, in regards to the managerial setting, I always thought it was a little fishy that Ten Cate left a position as head coach of Ajax to be our assistant. Got the feeling that he asserts more control than you'd think, after all he had the fight with Terry. Hope to god we don't get Rijkard, terrible manager.

That's something that a lot of Barcelona fans have come to realise over the pst couple of seasons. Ten Cate had a huge influence on Barça and was regarded as the bad cop to Rijkaard's good cop (I'm sure it's been mentioned on here). He and Rijkaard guided them to 2 league titles and the Champions League in 05 and 06. After that he went to Ajax and Barça's performances have dropped considerably, with Madrid winning the title last year and most likely this year again. I certainly don't think that's coincidence. So perhaps Rijkaard wouldn't be that bad a choice, particularly if he's paired up with Ten Cate again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

I had Lampard as FF capt, so there goes any lingering hope i had of topping it:(

...Ah well, the result has more than made up for it:)

Regarding Grant, i just saw this pic on another forum:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

jackdaw wrote: »
    So the main positive point is Avram Grant should be gone in the summer ...

jesus what the hell was RA and Kenyon thinking !! ??

Seriously, get a grip. The side are 5 points off the top of the league with the side ahead of them still to play. They're in the Champions League semi-final, which means they're 1 tie away from the final. Quite a good chance of winning that, no matter what bull**** you come up with. Lets keep the threads about the positives of Chelsea's trophyless season, for when Chelsea actually have finished the season trophyless, instead of making a new thread every time Chelsea drop points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I'm sitting here trying to put my figure on what it is Grant did to draw such criticism upon himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    I'm sitting here trying to put my figure on what it is Grant did to draw such criticism upon himself.

bit of an easy target really. Doesn't have the charisma or comical value of a Mourinho so people take a dislike to him and ridicule him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

The ironing is delicous

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

It would be like Sweet Valley High.

Does that make Terry and Lampard the twin girls?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,430 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Hiddink is going to be the next Chelsea manager - no doubt in my mind about that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭WellyJ

Unearthly wrote: »
    bit of an easy target really. Doesn't have the charisma or comical value of a Mourinho so people take a dislike to him and ridicule him

Let's not forget the fact that he was going to bring more attacking and exciting football to the bridge....

And what he has done is nothing of the sort,

They are just as mind numbingly boring to watch now as they were under Mourinho, if not worse.

And still grinding out wins. Its painful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

eZe^ wrote: »
    Theres going to be plenty of potential managers around the footballing world this summer, some big big names, some aspiring new managers destined for greatness, and others who are just crap;

Scolari, Rijkaard, Lippi, Ancelotti, Mancini, Pellegrini, Marcelino (destined to be massive imo, gonna be better than Juande Ramos), Mourinho, Koemann, and maybe even Benitez and Schuster.
    Marcelino? Is that the dude that used to play centre half/full back for Newcastle? Who is he managing?

Id imagine Hiddink would be a strong candidate for the Chelsea job considering his links with Russian FA etc. But to be honest i can see chelsea being like the Real Madrid of the premiership chopping and changing the manager over the next few years. Sacking Jóse was ridiculous in my view, considering his record, But i think the sacking of him was more due to his personality/clash of egos than results.

What about Sven, he might be out of a job in the summer? :D

Nah, this is a different Marcelino, he's managing Racing Santander this season. Last season they were in a relegation dog battle for most the season, but pulled through because of their MASSIVE striker Zigic. He left last summer to go to valencia, so I thought they were definitely relegated this season, in comes Marcelino, and they are in 5th, one point off the CL places. He has made them such an organised side, he could really go on to do fantastic things imo. A very Juande Ramos style manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

Oh right, i was thinking that he wouldnt have been the most inspirational choice for a manager (the newcastle misfit!) Must keep an eye out for him, dont really follow the Spanish league so he slipped under my radar :)

WellyJ wrote: »
    Let's not forget the fact that he was going to bring more attacking and exciting football to the bridge....

And what he has done is nothing of the sort,

They are just as mind numbingly boring to watch now as they were under Mourinho, if not worse.

And still grinding out wins. Its painful.

Would you rather play nice football and be in Arsenal's current position?

Grant has done a good job since taking over and if a couple of things go his way between now and the end of the season he will have done a very, very good job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I would!

You know what the worst thing is? Chelsea could be like United, and they aren't. I don't know who is going to be brought in this summer, but whoever it is, I hope they just sign some great passers.

PHB wrote: »
    I would!

You know what the worst thing is? Chelsea could be like United, and they aren't. I don't know who is going to be brought in this summer, but whoever it is, I hope they just sign some great passers.

You would huh? At the end of the day, winning trophies is fun. Chelsea can still do that. In any case, something tells me PHB that you wouldn't be a happy boy if you flipped the fortunes of Utd and Arsenal over the past five years.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 899 ✭✭✭Gegerty

1. He's jewish and lets face it anti-semitism is still very strong in this day and age.
    2. He's Abramovich's puppet.
    3. He has no character.
    4. His part in the removal of Mourinho is questionable.
    5. He replaced Mourinho, always going to be tough.

I actually think he's done a good job. He's basically managing someone elses team and it was Chelsea's performance at the start of the season that has them miles behind in the title race (spot the sarcasm).

I think point 2 above is important. Who is picking the team? Cause looks to me like its someone who doesn't know much about managing a football team, i.e Abramovich.

something tells me PHB that you wouldn't be a happy boy if you flipped the fortunes of Utd and Arsenal over the past five years.

I wouldn't. However, this season, with both of you pretty much out of the title race, at least I could say I enjoyed the football being watched.
    Winning is fun. Winning with style is amazing.
    1. He's jewish and lets face it anti-semitism is still very strong in this day and age.

Abramovich is jewish :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

I would!
    Winning is all that matters.

Riddle. Riddle. Riddle. ;)

Chelsea still have an outside (albeit wayyy outside) chance at the PL and a good chance of the CL.

arsenal have nothing to play for.

You would huh? At the end of the day, winning trophies is fun. Chelsea can still do that. In any case, something tells me PHB that you wouldn't be a happy boy if you flipped the fortunes of Utd and Arsenal over the past five years.
    that wasn't the case put forward - it was Chelsea vs Arsenal, not Unite dvs Arsenal. United win things and play great football. Arsenal do not win things and play great football. Chelsea win things and play crap football. It was whether you would want your team to play great football and do pretty well, or boring as crap football and win some stuff. I watch football to be entertained by the skills of the players on show - i'd pick arsenal over chelsea.
    Gegerty wrote: »

OOOOhhhhh lets pull out the racism card -thats always a good one. Come off it - peoples dislike of Grant is down to him having no personality and being a lier (he said he would have chelsea playing entertaining football). He is also a poor manager getting by with the best squad of players in the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭WellyJ

Grant has done a good job since taking over and if a couple of things go his way between now and the end of the season he will have done a very, very good job.

You are missing my point....

Jose was removed because even though he was winning trophies, it wasnt entertaining enough for Abramovich.

Can anyone honestly say that this has changed under Grant?

No.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Riddle. Riddle. Riddle. ;)

Chelsea still have an outside (albeit wayyy outside) chance at the PL and a good chance of the CL.

arsenal have nothing to play for.

I was talking about the league, and they have a way way outside chance.

• Advertisement

Who do Utd have left? Blackburn,Villa? as well as the Chelsea game, i dont know.... stranger things have happened! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

From the chesea rumour mill it appears that Rijkaard is a done deal this summer regardless of the champions league, Grant's future football management should be limited to his PC or maybe the Blue Square league.

I don't think it really makes much difference who we get in , it has to be an improvement on Grunt.

I much rather be winning ina ugly boring fashion than losing in an ugly boring fashion.

and

Lampard's mum is ill.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Who do Utd have left? Blackburn,Villa? as well as the Chelsea game, i dont know.... stranger things have happened! ;)

Blackburn, AWAY. Tough game.

Chelsea, AWAY. Very tough game.

West Ham, HOME. Should win but we tend to drop points against West Ham - Anything could happen.

Wigan, AWAY. Not a terrible side, shouldn't lose to them, but could be held to a draw.

As I have said a few times, the league is far from over.

not for PHB ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭selpher

If you let a chimp drive a Rolls-Royce and he crashes it into a wall you don't blame the chimp.
    Grant has far exceeded the expectations of most Chelsea fans who thought we'd be struggling for 4th. For me he does exactly what he says on the tin.
    Still, whatever team or tactics he picks we should be able to beat wigan at home. We were boring as usual last night. We've no pace or creativity in the side. That all left with Robben, Duff, Gudjohnsen, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Grant has done a good job overall in the league it appears, he hasnt lost since the turn of the year, since he took over he has only lost 2 league games anyway.....he has been hurt by a lot of late goals, they dropped 8 points this seaon through last 5-10 minute goals, this is how close the man is to winning the league.

i dont think he is the right guy for the job however as he just lacks the experience for the one off big games

Advertisement