Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bluetooth Car Kit

Options
  • 14-04-2008 10:42pm
    Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭

Not sure if I should be posting this here or in the Tech Section. I'm looking to get a bluetooth kit for my car (Rover45) one of the ones that routes the phone call through the radio. I saw one on the carphone warehouse(Link), which was Nokia and had a little button to activate it, but it also came with an external speaker which is not what I want, as I don't want anything visible on the dash (other than the little button). Does anyone know anywhere I can get one of these, and roughly how much I can expect to pay? Also, what would be involved in the installation? I don't want chunks ripped out of the dashboard or anything! Has anyone else had one of these installed and could give me some tips?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

parrot CK3100 is what you're after.

Parrot_CK-3100_1.jpg this is wired through the stereo.

the speaker on the Nokia CK7W kit is hidden under the dash though and wouldn't be visible.

another option is a bluetooth headunit. Sony do one for around €100. no other wiring or external buttons required.
    image013.png

I've used one of these and they're good. cheaper than a phone kit too.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

colm_mcm wrote: »
    parrot CK3100 is what you're after.

Parrot_CK-3100_1.jpg this is wired through the stereo.

the speaker on the Nokia CK7W kit is hidden under the dash though and wouldn't be visible.

another option is a bluetooth headunit. Sony do one for around €100. no other wiring or external buttons required.
    image013.png

I've used one of these and they're good. cheaper than a phone kit too.

Cheers!! So does the CK7W sound actually come out through your radio or through the speaker?

the CK7W has an external speaker that goes in the passenger footwell, hidden out of the way.

If the Rover hasn't a CD player, it'd be silly not to get the Sony, Halfords are doing a special on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Toots85 wrote: »
    Cheers!! So does the CK7W sound actually come out through your radio or through the speaker?

You need to get a seperate telemute cable to route the sound through the radio. YOu dotn need the speaker that comes with it then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭Ay Cee

That Sony unit is rubbish compared to the Kenwood ones I've used. I bought one in Halfords and brought it back. I'd recommend getting a new stereo with a built in bluetooth kit, preferably one with an external mic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭billbond4

I had a sony ericsson HCA-20, and now have a parrot MK6100 (so I can stream music through the cars speakers)
    http://www.parrot.com/uk/products/hands-freecarkits/parrotmk6100
    Nice demo on the webpage too.

DONT get a bluetooth car radio unless there is an external microphone,with a long length of cord so you can put it up on the roof lining.
    As the person on the other end of the line wont be able to hear you properly

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

I got a Parrot bluetooth kit that just clips onto the sun visor for my missus in Halfords for €79. Does the job grand, pairs up automatically and the sound is decent. Its obviously a less technical alternative

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭billbond4

Sony Ericsson have some nice ones of those a friend of mine uses the HCB-120 and she has no problems with it, handy if you have an SE mobile, as you will only need one charger in your car for both.
    The HCB-105 looks nice too

BTW if you do end up buying a car kit, buy it online and then get it installed professionally, you will pay over the odds buying a car kit in Ireland.
    That Nokia Carkit in your OP is going for 70e in ebay, tag on 100e for a professional installation you save 80e compared to the carphonewarhouse price.

billbond4 wrote: »
    I had a sony ericsson HCA-20, and now have a parrot MK6100 (so I can stream music through the cars speakers)
    http://www.parrot.com/uk/products/hands-freecarkits/parrotmk6100
    Nice demo on the webpage too.

DONT get a bluetooth car radio unless there is an external microphone,with a long length of cord so you can put it up on the roof lining.
    As the person on the other end of the line wont be able to hear you properly

I've used the above Sony unit with no problems, the unit was mounted high in the dash. prob not a great idea if the radio is low down in the dash.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Thanks for all the replies! I've already got a CD player in the car, it's the one that came with the car so I'd prefer to leave it in.

As regards connecting up the bluetooth to the radio, is that something I could do myself or would I need to get someone to install it? Would it involve much destruction of the inside of my car?

• Advertisement

billbond4 wrote: »
    That Nokia Carkit in your OP is going for 70e in ebay, tag on 100e for a professional installation you save 80e compared to the carphonewarhouse price.

Yes, I was wondering was that price a bit extortionate!! I'm not looking for a cheapo unit, but that's very dear!

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

colm_mcm wrote: »
    I've used the above Sony unit with no problems, the unit was mounted high in the dash. prob not a great idea if the radio is low down in the dash.

I had the Sony MEX BT5000 in my Partner van for ages. Worked great , even with the radio cover flap closed over the radio.

Toots85 wrote: »
    Thanks for all the replies! I've already got a CD player in the car, it's the one that came with the car so I'd prefer to leave it in.

As regards connecting up the bluetooth to the radio, is that something I could do myself or would I need to get someone to install it? Would it involve much destruction of the inside of my car?

Installation really depends on you. Iv'e installed a good few sony ericsoson bluetooth kits and its fairly handy. It's only 3 wires (permenant 12v, switched 12v and earth) that you can splice in to the cable behind the radio. The telemute cable is generally just an iso block connector for the speaker connection.

Ok, I'm looking at ebay now for one of the ck-7w as they're 60E there. Does anyone know of a place that would install something that was not bought there and roughly how much it would cost?

Thanks for all the replies so far!! :):pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭SecureSounds

I think you will find that by the time you add carriage to that price it will cost the same from a local dealer by the time you take installation into account.

Advertisement