Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brakes locking up

Options
  • 14-04-2008 10:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭

My rear brakes are causing me grief. They seem to have lostthier springiness, that is, when i squeeze the lever, the pads press against the wheel, as they are supposed to. But when I release the lever, they do not spring back, and remain in place against the wheel. This seem to me to be a lack of power in the spring unit. I have lubricated it, but am hesitant about any disassembly before I get advice. So, what do i do?

These are my brakes

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

If you've lubed the pivots already, then I suspect you might need new cables. How long have you had them on?

What may be happening is that the cable is getting caught in the housing and not moving back after you brake. I'd suggest disconnecting the cable on the brake first and seeing if it springs back when you push both sides inwards. If it seems OK, then it's more than likely the cables. If it's still sticking without the cable attached, then you might need a new back brake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Hot Dog

Okay, I removed the cable as you advised. The problem still persists. The actual problem is with the brake unit itself, its not springy enough.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Well you've narrowed down the problem. It sounds like either something is obstructing the spring or the spring is just shot. I'd take the brake off and take a look at it. If there's nothing obvious obstructing the spring, then the brake probably needs to be replaced.

It looks like you've got basic Tektro brakes. Looking at prices on Chain Reaction Cycles, a new rear caliper, either Tektro or Shimano (they're both pretty much the same design) would probably set you back €15 to €20. Installation is pretty easy once you've got a set of Allen keys.

could it just be seized due to mud and dirt in the workings?

It could alright. Which is why you should take it off and have a good look at it before deciding to replace it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Could be the brake pad has been deformed by use, giving it a 'step' which sticks to the underside of the rim.

New pad/caliper as Mr Tonto says.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

are both sides balanced?? are they moving the same distance??

if they are then id change the inner and outer cable.lob some gt85 trough the cables too, this should free them up.

if they are not, there is a lil screw on the top, 3mm allen key and this will adjust the spring.

btw from the pictures your brake calliper looks rough to begin with:o
    theres rust on the bolts etc.

I loosened the bolt on the right side in the photo, this seems to have fixed it, but now there is a slight wobble in the various parts of the brake mechanism.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Hot Dog wrote: »
    I loosened the bolt on the right side in the photo, this seems to have fixed it, but now there is a slight wobble in the various parts of the brake mechanism.

dont loosen that bolt!!! it is a pivot and holds the calliper together:D

my advice to you is to bring it to a bike mechanic:)

Advertisement