Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Short term insurance

Options
  • 14-04-2008 10:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭

Looking for a bit of advice here.

My brother is going abroad for a few months at the end of this month. The insurance on his mini (89) is just up and he was just going to leave the car sit under a cover for the time.

I figured i might as well chance my arm and told him i'd mind the car for the time he's gone :D and he's ok with it.

Check some only line quotes and they all seem to be around 700 euro for the year which is quite reasonable i think. 25, 3yrs named driver, 5yrs licence

Question are:

Can i take out a policy on the car without any problems? Does the car need to be registered over to my name?
    Does he need to remain insured on it?
    He has a pending claim with his current insurer (axa) will that cause problems? For him to renew his insurance would be 1200.

Jozi

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭ash_18x

i'm sure the car has to be registered in your name if you want to be the main insurer, correct me if i'm wrong though. they always ask 'are you the registered owner of the car'!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

Is it to much hassle to get the name changed over to mine and then back again once he returns home?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

jozi wrote: »
    Is it to much hassle to get the name changed over to mine and then back again once he returns home?

You just fill in the tax book and send it off. Then when he comes back. Do it again. However, this will show in the book as 2 additional owners and it may take the duration of your bro's absence for the book to come back.

I just changed my car a week ago and I didn't need the tax book to change my policy but I can't remember what the story was for my first policy.

Best option: Ring the insurance company and ask them

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭ash_18x

was just going to say the same as ShayK1, the only disadvantage is the extra two previous owners on it! they are after speeding up in Shannon, they are not as slow as they used to be!
    I have been insured for four years on my car and just got my renewal and they want a copy of the vehicle licensing cert, I thought this was strange seen as the never asked for it before, wonder why!?

Advertisement