Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Purchasing Ammo On My Behalf?

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭Sikamick

IRLConor wrote: »
    They can leave the range with a firearm or ammunition if they have a removal order for same.

That's precisely how DURC and UCDRC work.

Yes Conor there is no problem with that, my worry is someone carrying a firearm or ammunition for a friend or whoever without license or removal order or authorization.

Look at the original question about getting someone to collect ammo.

Must go, have a good weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Sikamick wrote: »

According to our club authorization only while on the range, a member that does not have a license cannot leave the range with a firearm or ammunition.

Club membership does not entitle you to take home a firearm or ammunition if you are not licensed or have an authorization.

That's according to your authorisation mick. The relevant law states that:
    (5) (a) The Superintendent of any district may authorise in writing the possession, use or carriage of firearms or ammunition in that district in any of the circumstances specified in paragraphs (d), (e), (f), (g), (h), (j) or (k) of subsection (4) of this section or of any component parts of a firearm, during such period, not exceeding one year, as may be specified in the authorisation.
    It also says:
    (d) A Superintendent may impose in relation to the grant of an authorisation under this section such conditions (if any) as he considers necessary to prevent danger to the public and, where a condition is imposed, it shall be specified in the authorisation.

So it's use and carriage but also any other conditions may be imposed. In your case the Super has imnposed the condition that it's only on the range. In others, that's not the case.

The bit Conor and Zara are referring to in relation to removal orders is the "in that district" qualifier, which means that if it leaves the district it needs to be approved.

It also means that a removal order is required to bring it back to the district and is why there are now 10,000 target rifles in Rathdrum :D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

I have been reading this thread for a while so here's my 2 cent worth.
    Over the weekend my son at last got his license and then his new rifle CZ LUX 223, 100 round ammo limit. So today Monday I went to 2 dealers and checked on 223 ammo prices and range of calibres. At the same time I asked if they would sell me ammo on my sons behalf. Both said yes as long as I had the license, a photocopy would do. And I could get/buy any amount, within reason. Discount on the more boxes you buy. :)

OK I know that if I am court with the ammo it is more than likely illegal to have in my posession
    but so what. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭thehair

clivej wrote: »
    I have been reading this thread for a while so here's my 2 cent worth.
    Over the weekend my son at last got his license and then his new rifle CZ LUX 223, 100 round ammo limit. So today Monday I went to 2 dealers and checked on 223 ammo prices and range of calibres. At the same time I asked if they would sell me ammo on my sons behalf. Both said yes as long as I had the license, a photocopy would do. And I could get/buy any amount, within reason. Discount on the more boxes you buy. :)

OK I know that if I am court with the ammo it is more than likely illegal to have in my posession
    but so what. :o
    hi clive i am not been smart with you tell us why would you ask the question if you all ready know the ans steve;)

thehair wrote: »
    hi clive i am not been smart with you tell us why would you ask the question if you all ready know the ans steve;)

I didn't start this thread.
    But i have added an opinion as have others here. It may well be that it is illegal to buy or have in your pocession ammo that you don't have a license for, you pay's your money and you takes your chance.
    ;) wink back at you steve...................:rolleyes:

Whats the point of going target shooting with limited amounts of ammo. I'm hoping to get my license for a CZ 22lr, still waiting. Say I only get a limlit of 100 rounds. Thats only going to make me break the law as it stands. I have been to the Midlands range, hired a 22lr and shot 150 rounds there over 2 or more hours. I don't think I'll be traveling to the range to have a good days plinking without bringing at least 200-300 rounds with me. There's no point in traveling 1 1/2 hours, 60 miles, to only shoot 100 rounds and then hang around like a spare dic* is there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Well, you could just apply for a higher ammo limit. Nobody's responsible for you breaking the law but yourself. No point trying to pin it on the Gardai.

Well, you could just apply for a higher ammo limit. Nobody's responsible for you breaking the law but yourself. No point trying to pin it on the Gardai.

That's not what I wanted to give the impression of doing. I don't think I could pin anything on the old bill. To old to try now. :(

Do you know how the Super in Kilkenny is. He's not the type of man to be asked for anything. NOT even a calibre above 22 hornet. He has not signed for anything above that calibre without going to court AFAIK.

So ask for an ammo increase. There's no excuse for breaking the law really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

What he is saying is that there is very little chance of an ammo increase from the super in Kilkenny without a court battle.

But not applying anyway is defeatist. And if it goes to court, then that's a step for another day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭thehair

I didn't start this thread.
    But i have added an opinion as have others here. It may well be that it is illegal to buy or have in your pocession ammo that you don't have a license for, you pay's your money and you takes your chance.
    ;) wink back at you steve...................:rolleyes:

Whats the point of going target shooting with limited amounts of ammo. I'm hoping to get my license for a CZ 22lr, still waiting. Say I only get a limlit of 100 rounds. Thats only going to make me break the law as it stands. I have been to the Midlands range, hired a 22lr and shot 150 rounds there over 2 or more hours. I don't think I'll be traveling to the range to have a good days plinking without bringing at least 200-300 rounds with me. There's no point in traveling 1 1/2 hours, 60 miles, to only shoot 100 rounds and then hang around like a spare dic* is there?

hi clivej my limit is 100rounds total and 1 buy500 all the time.22rinfire LF
    you are right about 100 rounds but garda dont care.
    i ask my fao about a rise in ammo amount. ans dont be brother about it.
    the 100 rounds means f all to me once you used them for target shooting
    or shooting crow and dont sell or give them to people that have no
    firearms cert.then we will not have a problin happy shooting:cool:
    my firearms officer is cool:cool:steve

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

Easiest way would be to just go to your local station with your firearms licence and two passport photos and apply for the European Firearms Pass. It should just be a formality as you are automatically entitled to it once you have an Irish licence.

Your European Firearms Pass carries all the rifles/pistols you have separate licences for and the automatic ammo limit on the European Firearms Pass is 500 rounds for each rifle listed on it. ;)

EDIT: By the way, the application for the EFP shouldn't cost you a cent. As far as I can remember it is free of charge.

So ask for an ammo increase. There's no excuse for breaking the law really.
    Of course I will and I'm going to. Haven't got the license for myself yet.
    Bond-007 wrote: »
    What he is saying is that there is very little chance of an ammo increase from the super in Kilkenny without a court battle.
    Correct first time.
    The super is a nice man to talk too BUT still he won't give you an inch.
    thehair wrote: »
    hi clivej my limit is 100rounds total and 1 buy500 all the time.22rinfire LF
    you are right about 100 rounds but garda dont care.
    i ask my fao about a rise in ammo amount. ans dont be brother about it.
    the 100 rounds means f all to me once you used them for target shooting
    or shooting crow and dont sell or give them to people that have no
    firearms cert.then we will not have a problin happy shooting:cool:
    my firearms officer is cool:cool:steve
    And this is what the whole point of what I'm trying to say here.
    The Hair is told it's OK to break the law on the one hand but he can't get an increase on the ammo limit on the other. Daft isn't it.

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭Sikamick

super is a nice man to talk too BUT still he won't give you an inch.

The Garda that deal with licensing need to get an understanding of shooting, one hundred rounds on the license for a bit of rabbit shooting is ok.

But for target shooting anything under 500 rounds for .22 target is ridicules.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

The Hair is told it's OK to break the law on the one hand but he can't get an increase on the ammo limit on the other. Daft isn't it.
    Very. The thing to remember about such advice however, is that it's the equivalent of a driver behind you on the M50 flashing his lights and blaring his horn 'cos you won't accelerate past the posted speed limit. It's tempting to accelerate so you can pull over to the left lane, but if you do it and get caught, it's you and not the beemer who gets the points on the licence and has to pay the speeding fine...

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Sikamick wrote: »
    Ask him does he play golf and if he does would he be happy if he could only use one club.
    The Garda that deal with licensing need to get an understanding of shooting, one hundred rounds on the license for a bit of rabbit shooting is ok.
    But for target shooting anything under 500 rounds for .22 target is ridicules.
    I'd completely agree with Sika and it'd be the route I'd take but I think the KK super may be a bit of an edge case.

Sparks wrote: »
    Very. The thing to remember about such advice however, is that it's the equivalent of a driver behind you on the M50 flashing his lights and blaring his horn 'cos you won't accelerate past the posted speed limit. It's tempting to accelerate so you can pull over to the left lane, but if you do it and get caught, it's you and not the beemer who gets the points on the licence and has to pay the speeding fine...

Nailed. Exactly my point.

Advertisement