Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fento, all is forgiven!

• 14-04-2008 11:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭

I've made a few disparaging comments about Big T Fenton round these parts before, but I have to admit, I'm starting to thaw. There's no doubt he's the cheesiest ****er that ever walked, but I've started to like that in him. I love guessing what song he's going to kick off with, while he booms "Hiiiiii, busy show for ya today........ Tom Baxter in studio later on..." (He usually kicks off with Hard-Fi, I reckon. Living For The Weekend.) Imagine what a laugh you'd have hitting Lillies and Renards with Big Tone on the raging piss. Also, has anyone noticed how since Today FM moved to the new studios, all the DJs keep hitting the wrong button and getting it wrong generally, but the Fent hasn't slipped up once, fair play to him. And his William Shatner-esque version of "Don't Believe A Word" on the breakfast show last week was class! Does anyone else share this kind of strange affection for the king of the cheesy radio jocks?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

In a word - no. I think I was put on this earth to rid him from the airwaves. His show makes me feel nauseous. monoTony Fagan/Fenton must be a robot, no sane person can be that predictable. I posted here before that a few of my co-workers and I had an 85% success rate in predicting his songs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Bondvillain

Holmer wrote: »
    Does anyone else share this kind of strange affection for the king of the cheesy radio jocks?

Mmmmmmmmmmmmm... Nope. Not me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

If we were all to direct our ire together in an effort to getting a presenter off the air, I think the first target should be Gerry Ryan.

In fact I think "Big Tone" himself would be a bit of a way down the list, to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Who knew. Tony Fenton posts on boards.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Bondvillain

Bard wrote: »
    If we were all to direct our ire together in an effort to getting a presenter off the air, I think the first target should be Gerry Ryan.

Good Jesus no! If we got him off the radio, there's every chance he'd end up full-time on Television.
    In fact I think "Big Tone" himself would be a bit of a way down the list, to be honest.

Only because if you asked people who don't regularly listen to Today FM "What do you think of Tony Fenton", a tenner says they'd say "I remember that eejit on the Hotline. I'm glad he's gone off the radio. "

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    Who knew. Tony Fenton posts on boards.ie

Could be his mother either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Aye, Ryan and D'arcy would make up the top slots for me. Fenton, while annoying, just isnt as annoying as the previously mentioned duo, primarily as they have the mid-morning slots which have the biggest markets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Does anyone else share this kind of strange affection for the king of the cheesy radio jocks?

Abso-fcukin-lutely not! Never. Can't stand the man. Would rather eat my own knackers than listen to that tw*t. Now, I love Van Morrisson as much as the next man, but does he have to play him EVERY fcukin day?!?!
    I remember him playing a song twice because it was, "so God-darn good" one day and have avoided him like the plague ever since. Can't remember the exact song but I do remember it being some awful tripe (possibly some new U2 track?). There was only one man that could ever get away with doing that IMO and only one song.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

el_weirdo wrote: »
    "so God-darn good"

Lol, I can hear him saying that!:D
    el_weirdo wrote: »
    There was only one man that could ever get away with doing that IMO and only one song.

?

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Holmer

Don't get me wrong, I know how bloody awful he is, but his style is just so unintentionally hilarious with the big butch voice and everything. And yeah,it's always fun guessing when Brown Eyed Girl is going to come on. Or Al Green, or any other 'classic bit o' soul' he has to hand. El weirdo, I remember him playing "chasing pavements" twice in a row there a while back alright. (jeeeesus... hate that song).
    I swear I'm not Tony's ma. I reckon she's long dead of old age.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭mental07

(He usually kicks off with Hard-Fi, I reckon. Living For The Weekend.)
    That or 'You Get What You Give' by the New Radicals. Aaaaarrrggghhhh!!

kerash wrote: »
    Lol, I can hear him saying that!:D

?
    The late, great John Peel. He famously played Teenage Kicks by The Undertones twice because it was so good.

I really didn't want to mention the great man in a thread about Fenton. The man doesn't deserve to be mentioned in such company.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Fozzie Bear

I've made a few disparaging comments about Big T Fenton round these parts before, but I have to admit, I'm starting to thaw. There's no doubt he's the cheesiest ****er that ever walked, but I've started to like that in him. I love guessing what song he's going to kick off with, while he booms "Hiiiiii, busy show for ya today........ Tom Baxter in studio later on..." (He usually kicks off with Hard-Fi, I reckon. Living For The Weekend.) Imagine what a laugh you'd have hitting Lillies and Renards with Big Tone on the raging piss. Also, has anyone noticed how since Today FM moved to the new studios, all the DJs keep hitting the wrong button and getting it wrong generally, but the Fent hasn't slipped up once, fair play to him. And his William Shatner-esque version of "Don't Believe A Word" on the breakfast show last week was class! Does anyone else share this kind of strange affection for the king of the cheesy radio jocks?

Are you doing drugs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

This person posting at half eleven, may or may not have been drunk, but i for one agree with them, cut the Fenster some slack, the mans a legend of Irish radio.

Theres much worse on the radio than Tones!

*runs and hides for cover*

RedorDead wrote: »
    This person posting at half eleven, may or may not have been drunk, but i for one agree with them, cut the Fenster some slack, the mans a legend of Irish radio.

Tones? Fento? Christ... You've caught Fenton. THE MAN IS A TOSSER! GET A HOLD OF YOURSELVES!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭john concannon

you must think ray foley is the second coming if fento impresses you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

Edit: i see the above mentioned is out of bounds
    I was a big fan of d'arcy too but since i came home with 12 months of not hearing him i just think he has turned into a moan bag, but i'm too young to listen to radio 1, not crazy enough for ocean and i have far too much hate for gerry ryan so it has to be him.
    Back on topic, fenton makes my teeth itch..

"Oh my gawwwwddd, you cant be serious!!"
    Did he get sacked from 2fm before he landed on today?
    Everytime he makes up some hi-lar-ious line they have to shout to get the song they just heard played it makes me want to vomit into a cup and interlink it to him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭gordon_gekko

RedorDead wrote: »

i love tony fenton , hes the DUFFMAN from the simpsons of irish radio
    its just aswell hes on at the time he is as it saves me from the awful rick o shea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

tony fenton is a hero, hes regularily taking the piss out of himself. talented and professional, just lacks a muscial taste. :(

d'arcy changed since jenny had the kid, he's gone so moany and opinionated, and is regularily rude to the rest of the staff on the show, he's so closed to anyone elses views its ridiculous, and he often comes across as a tw@t because of it.

Old thread bump going on here...

Jesus, can we not get a petition going to rid this henious voice from the airwaves.

I really do dread him coming on and have been caught shouting "not fcukin VAN THE MAN again" on several occasions.

Everytime someone comes on the air its the same thing

TF: Hi there man, how the bloody hell are ya?
    C: not too bad tony.
    tf: I believe your from Dublin
    c: ya from jobstown
    tf: ooooh my god! thats a lovely part of the country... i know it well blaa blaa blaa

Before any smart arse comes on and says change the station.. the choice is very limited in the depths of Sligo for music type radio.

2fm's attempt is just as likely to bring on an early onset of ear cancer, I'm too young for Radio 1, not dead yet so that rules out ocean and the planks over on Iradio have worn out the 9th letter of the alphabet and are dire dire dire

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

Last week after Ray Foley announced that the Verve were splitting up again Fenton announced that the rumour was "Totally pure not true". Was he mis-programmed that afternoon?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭shenanigans1982

The only thing going for him is that he is a step up from Phil Cawley, but everything about the show is bad from his attempts to be "down" with new bands, to his collection of 5 motown songs to the fact that he feels he holds some sort of resentment towards Dave Fannings relationship with U2.

irish_bob wrote: »
    tony fenton , the duffman of irish radio

luv the dude , better still is that hes on at the same time as the awfull rick o shea
    Yes Ricky boy is the asmatic chatterbox of 2FM and a reason for people to wish deafness upon themselves but really comparing him to Fenton is like saying I would rather have leopracy than AIDs

Advertisement