Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Fault after accident

Options
  • 14-04-2008 11:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

Hi guys,

Just looking for some opinions on my situation!

I got hit from behind a few weeks ago and shunted into the car in front of me, garage said all superficial damage, replaced bumpers and headlamp.

Anyway, got car back friday and at first time starting it after getting it home, struggled to start it, not even trying to turn over. Started three times ok, including this moring, but then same thing again and refused to start. Garage came out, said it's the ignition switch (450 for switch plus labour) and that it has nothign to do wtih accident. Seems a bit much of a coincidence to me that there was no problem with it before accident and now there is? Bear in mind that the car got enough of a rap to knock the ashtray out of the dash?

Just wondering what any of you think? Am I being paranoid because the garage weren't exactly good to deal with - took a full month to repair the car for starters. (no pun intended!)

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

It would be hard to prove if it was connected to the accident or not.

Include make, model, year etc and you will get better replies:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 MollyOY

Hi,

Car is a 2003 Peugeot 307.

I've spoken to 2 different Peugeot garages, both of whom said it was impossible to rule in or out the accident but that the crash could possibly have upset the electrics resulting in the ignition switch problem.

Got back onto the insurance, said they'd send engineer out again, but then later said no, that the assessor is satisifed that it hadn't anyting to do with crash.

Sent a thorny email to local branch who are "investigating" and will get back to me.

I'm so fed up, seems like far too much of a coincidence to me, but I suppose it might just be awful bad luck :(

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

To be honest I think you are making serious assumptions here and the garage don't want to commit to something given the current litigous climate.
    I really don't see how an ignition barrel could get damaged in a collision. You also suggest that the garage are a bit dodgy. I'd begin suspecting them before the collision - however you still don't have proof.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

You could try charging your battery. If it was off the road for a month and you are constantly starting and stopping it you could be killing the battery. You've no idea what they did with your car in the garage, but they could have moved it around a lot and only ran the car for a few mins at a time. Give it a charge over night or take it for a long drive and see if that does any good.

I suppose yeah I am making assumptions, possibly clutchign at straws. I've become resigned to forking out the €700 to get it sorted :(

It's definitely not the battery.

Thanks for responding.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Oilrig

Molly, it may sound strange but I'd say your battery is buggered. Nothing to do with the accident other than the car lying up for a while finished it off.

Given the age of the car etc it all points to the battery IMHO.

Thanks but have had battery checked and it's not that.

If a car is put on a diagnostic computer would the garage normally have kept a printout or what way does it work? I've been told I should ask for this?

Advertisement