Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

close boards down

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭The Artist

can i get a free subscription for hitting refresh button as me fingers sore now?:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

Sparky-s wrote: »
    OP!

Go do something productive like giving out to your parents for bringing you into this world.
    Tell them the internet sent you.

internet-serious-business-cat.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I agree, shut it down! And kill yourselves too! But kill me first, cos I can't live without boards! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I'll agree that it is annoying that boards has been experiancing these issues but by and large they don't happen that much. It's such a great site and so much so part of my daily life that I can forgive it it's little hiccups.
    I haven't done anything to help fix the problem, aka subscribe, I do feel guilty and so will get around to that sooner rather than later. It's a fuppin fantastic site with a great crowd of users so when it has it's occasional major fup up I'll go and do something else. There are other websites, watch TV, play some games, go around to some mates, spend time with the missus.

Come on OP, I agree that it's frustrating but it's a great place, a really unique irish website and it's not right to give up on it just because it's being a little difficult lately. I hope you don't give up that easily on people in real life.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

It is frustrating at times but the guys are working behind the scenes and doing their best. Boards isn't like every other site out there, the software is different and all the other bits hacked into it and other things I don't understand. Go outside and read a good book or something for a while. Also the number of people jumping in with 'why don't you subscribe!?!?' type posts. It has been explained before that money isn't the issue. If you enjoy the site and feel you want to give something back then by all means, subscribe, but don't go using it against the guys when something goes wrong. 'I'm a paying customer, yak yak yak'

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

green123 wrote: »
    that is nonsense whitewashman

i have been using the site for about 4 years (didnt sign up for ages) and there have been hundreds of issues, such as slowdowns and freezing and database and various problems

green123:

This is the problem.

There have not been "hundreds of issues", unless you're counting every single failed page load as a single, separate issue.

"Constant problems" - again, innaccurate. There are occasional problems. Given the level of traffic, the number of issues is small.

"If you're not capable of running the website you should close it down"

Oh, okay then. [/end boards.ie]

"Or try to sell it to someone who can run it."

Anyone who works in IT will tell you that rarely is a problem not made WORSE than by transferring ownership. Novate boards! Then it'll NEVER WORK!!

"Idiots"

Now, truly, this is where you guarantee you'll never, ever get a decent response to your protest.

Imagine if the admins replied with "We run this fcuking workhorse for your entertainment on a shoestring budget and have been for over a decade, you ignorant fcukmonkey. Users. Gob****es." Do you think that would be an acceptable response? So why do you think the way you word your protest is in any way valid?

Here's some feedback on your feedback - if you want to know what's going on, try wording a post as:

"Folks, I'm getting a lot of database errors when I try to surf boards.ie. Any update on what's going on, or a timeline to it being fixed?"

Personally, I think when issues like this arise, the admins should take the entire site offline to fix it - because boards.ie is an all-or-nothing set of forums for its users. When they have it all, they love it. When they have nothing, they grieve.

When they have some use but it's not as fast/snappy/refreshable/searchable as they want it to be, they revolt.

Yep, those users sure are revolting...

• Registered Users Posts: 83,214 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

A-Trak wrote: »
    I guarantee your the type of "Customer," who calls every provider you have, simply outraged, that your broadband/mobile/ISP/septic tank etc has had a blip, or as you might put it, "A complete outage"

I'd imagine you demand all manners of supervisors and are frequently,"Outraged beyond belief," and probably have uttered the phrase "I DEMAND COMPENSATION," a few times.

......American?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Tha Gopher

OP is right. I pay my fcuking taxes for this bull?!!?

Im not sure who to contact first, my TD, Joe Duffy or Adrian Kennedy. All I can say is I hope Brian Cowen does a better job preventing this than the last shower of cnuts did.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

I agree, it's frustrating.

I suspect it's a lot more frustrating for the guys who are trying to fix it.

Mena's right, every website is prone to go arse over tit at one time or another, even big corporate sites with lots of money behind them.

Sometimes you might have years with only minor incidents, then a period with something major going wrong every week. I'm sure there's a corollary of Murphy's Law (>_>) to fit!
    green123 wrote: »
    if you are not capable of running the website then you should close it down,
    or try to sell it to someone who can run it .

it ****ing ridiculous at this stage
    constant problems
    idiots

funny-pictures-bored-cat.jpg
    DaveMcG wrote: »
    I agree, shut it down! And kill yourselves too! But kill me first, cos I can't live without boards! :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

In fairness, today was the first time I'd had a problem with the site.
    But My God, it's been really irritating seeing database error and having to hit refresh over and over again.
    OP I think you're slightly overeacting.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

I guarantee your the type of "Customer," who calls every provider you have, simply outraged, that your broadband/mobile/ISP/septic tank etc has had a blip, or as you might put it, "A complete outage"

I'd imagine you demand all manners of supervisors and are frequently,"Outraged beyond belief," and probably have uttered the phrase "I DEMAND COMPENSATION," a few times.

Can I bring you to work and let you scream the above quote at the people I have to deal with every fúcking day.:D

As for the slight interruption in normal service,I heard the Boards hamster is on holidays. He'll be back soon so OP hang in there.

*this post only encountered 4 database errors*

*this post only encountered 4 database errors*
    Not fair!! You're getting preferential treatment! :mad:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

It is annoying sure. But I'm sure those in charge are at least as, if not much more, annoyed and are doing everything reasonably possible to fix it.

Personally I can't imagine boards being in any better hands than those who've got it to where it is today.

......... He's an American?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,350 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

As a subscriber I reckon it would be nice if the admins or Cult stopped by or stuck up an announcement that commented on the performance issues? Will they get worse? Is there a specific problem? Or are we all imagining it and as far as they are concerned everything is fine?

It is quite frustrating at times over the past few months I must say. But yes, our subscription is nominal and the site is essentially a free service that gives so much for so little so it is slightly churlish to complain. I does love my boards to be fast and reliable though. :(

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    As a subscriber I reckon it would be nice if the admins or Cult stopped by or stuck up an announcement that commented on the performance issues? Will they get worse? Is there a specific problem? Or are we all imagining it and as far as they are concerned everything is fine?

It is quite frustrating at times over the past few months I must say. But yes, our subscription is nominal and the site is essentially a free service that gives so much for so little so it is slightly churlish to complain. I does love my boards to be fast and reliable though. :(

http://www.twitter.com/boards_ie

afaik boards.ie runs on 5 server machines, or Nodes. Whatever the case they are having some hardware/network difficulties. I dont pretend to know a damn thing about servers or networking however; such aspects of computing still scare me and im much more comfortable inside a C++ compiler in comparison.

The twitter posts suggest errors trying to get the server load to balance properly between the 5 nodes. Failing that I imagine imbalance would cause one to crash, and then you get a cascade effect failure.

As it stands they've taken all but one of the nodes completely offline for maintenance. Meaning Boards.ie probably can't handle all the traffic its getting. Its noticeably better now at 2AM than it was 3 hours ago for instance.

Be patient and let them do their work. Because as far as I'm concerned I'm talking out of my ass and I certainly wouldnt want to be in charge of server maintenance.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

http://twitter.com/boards_ie

The twitter site is better than an announcement here because twitter won't be subject to the same performance issues as boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,350 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

http://twitter.com/boards_ie

The twitter site is better than an announcement here because twitter won't be subject to the same performance issues as boards.

Thanks guys, bookmarked. Still quite noobish after 7.5k posts I guess. :o

I also get the notion that frantic clicking of the Refresh button isnt helping matters...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

DONT TREAD ON ME

*f5*

Mordeth wrote: »
    DONT TREAD ON ME

*f5*
    doomed.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

DAMN YOU BOARDS! I'VE HAD TO WORK FOR THE PAST HOUR AND A HALF!!!! ZOMFG!!!!!!

(Seriously though, problems are few and far between. Get over it)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

If you want to see boards close down, join us in a few minutes on TCN on the 3AM thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I thought the database errors were put in by the team on purpose to remind us that sometimes it's okay to visit the outworld that lies beyond the boards.

I thought it was divine intervention telling me to quit procrastinating.

I always tell it to fuckoff though and watch another movie :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

funny-pictures-password-lolspeakeasy.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭greatgoal

stop talkin bo**ox ye clown.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

Ahhh MySQL you gotta love it, its free and crap. No wonder Larry Ellison is so loaded..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Just delete the accounts of everyone who signed up in the last 5 years. We all know boards was better, and certainly more stable, back then.

Viva la revolution.

PS. Here is a picture of a cute animal to keep people happy:

nutmeg1.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement