Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

close boards down

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Clicking refresh over and over makes you frustrated?

Stop fucking clicking refresh.

This whiny thread made me frustrated.

Go away and try boards later...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Sherifu wrote: »
    This whiny thread made me frustrated.

Go away and try boards later...
    Stop fucking reading it then.

Go away and read a different thread.

Pighead wrote: »
    Stop fucking reading it then.

Go away and read a different thread.
    I did piggy. Don't worry. This thread loaded first time, I didn't keep pounding refresh which was my point if you quoted me fully. Cheerio.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Can the fcuktard show me a forum that is
    a) free
    b) has more users than boards.ie
    c) is in Ireland

if not, STFU about boards.ie being slow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭togster

Well it is slow lately. Still displaying database error

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

wahey only had 1 db error trying to reply \o/

It's kinda gone tits-up atm, but normally there's little problems with it in fairness, considering its size and all.. Just someone fix the database :(

Close boards? naaaaaah, that'd be silly. Where would we all go?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Nationalise it be damned.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

green123 wrote: »
    if you are not capable of running the website then you should close it down,
    or try to sell it to someone who can run it .

it ****ing ridiculous at this stage
    constant problems
    idiots

Boards has occasional glitches. OP considers these to be "constant problems" & wants boards closed down.

OP makes occasional inane posts. I think the Admins should consider this to be "constant trolling" & dole out a permaban.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Oh it is frustrating and very regular and you all know it. Yes, the OP's way of approaching this was very rude, but he's not wrong. Stop telling him he is, just because this is Feedback and you can't control the urge to use it to pounce on people...
    And I find it most ironic that all the smart-ass "oh noez, Boards isn't working, let's kill ourselves" comments are from people who are very regular users and have accumulated THOUSANDS of posts - so I doubt they're that blasé about these glitches, despite claiming to be so just for the sake of having a go at the OP.

To those who are working on it: hope things are going ok, best of luck with it. And when I say it's frustrating I'm not having a go at you, just commenting in general... I've no doubt it's super-duper frustrating for you guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,901 ✭✭✭Vexorg

We are well aware of the issues recently but cannot put a finger on exactly what is happening. There is an issue with some of the hardware which we are hoping to rectify today together with installing 20 gigs of ram on the web nodes and a few other bits of pokage.

There is no simple answer to these problems.

V.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭togster

He deserve to get pounced on. He is a troll looking to cause a reaction. Take a look at darkmans thread and see how differently it is responded too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

WWM must be in the pay of the Boards Illuminati with his response.

Still I'm glad someone else started this thread. ;)

Mike.

What's the point moaning about it? The guys know there's an issue and i'm sure they're doing everything they can. The OP should of had a bit of respect and maybe they wouldn't get pounced on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

Dudess wrote: »
    Yes, the OP's way of approaching this was very rude, but he's not wrong.

Personal abuse isn't allowed anywhere else on Boards, so I think calling the guys who run this site idiots, is in fact, wrong. Suggesting they are too inept to run it, is wrong. Telling them to sell there own business to "someone who can run it" is wrong.

Edit: Sorry, thanks to all who are working to get the site back up, and it is appreciated by many of us. :)

Frustration is a human response but what pisses people off is a lack of information, the twitter link should be bookmarked by every user.

http://twitter.com/boards_ie

Mike.

Nothing wrong with pouncing on him for his aggression and bad manners - he's out of order on that front, no doubt about it. But what I don't get is the way people are saying "actually you're wrong, there's barely any problem and it's majorly rare" when that is just not true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 papasunday

asshole:eek:

sueme wrote: »
    Personal abuse isn't allowed anywhere else on Boards, so I think calling the guys who run this site idiots, is in fact, wrong. Suggesting they are too inept to run it, is wrong. Telling them to sell there own business to "someone who can run it" is wrong.
    Agreed. He's out of order with the comments you have highlighted, but is he incorrect when he says there are a lot of problems on Boards at the moment? No.

Dudess wrote: »
    Agreed. He's out of order with the comments you have highlighted, but is he incorrect when he says there are a lot of problems on Boards at the moment? No.
    What the OP said was there are constant problems. That is incorrect. At the moment there is a problem, i'd say we all agree on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Sherifu wrote: »
    What the OP said was there are constant problems. That is incorrect. At the moment there is a problem, i'd say we all agree on that.
    Indeed.

An ongoing issue is one problem, not a series of problems. It's been months since there was a similar extended problem.

• Advertisement

The following errors occurred when this message was submitted

Its a consistant problem at the moment?

Mike.

I disagree. Boards has gone through regular phases of being extremely slow for ages now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

Vexorg wrote: »
    We are well aware of the issues recently but cannot put a finger on axactely what is happening. There is an issue with some of the hardware which we are hoping to rectify today together with installing 20 gigs of ram on the web nodes and a few other bits of pokage.

There is no simple answer to these problems.

V.

good luck with it, and we can all hope for a speedy solution..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Twitter hasn't been updated in 16 hours (there are still problems).

View the source of the database error page and you get more info. Currently:
    Host 'www-svr-1' is blocked because of many connection errors; unblock with 'mysqladmin flush-hosts'

In my opinion the boards setup is too complex for such a small site and would run better with less hardware and a simplified setup.

Dudess, I agree with your general view. However its not slow - its just not working.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭stooge

Ive read 3 or 4 of the pages on this thread but getting so many database errors I cant be a55ed reading the rest.

I have a question - have any of the site admins came on to this thread or others to state in relatively simple terms what the issue is, a timeline for a fix and to give a short apology for the disruption?

I'm not a 'paying customer' so I dont expect that they meet a 6 hour deadline or anything, I just think it's common courtesy.

It has been occurring a bit more over the last 6-8 months but as long as they keep us up to date then "In Smod's we trust"! :)

Wonder would it be useful getting rid of some of the less useful forums/threads if its a matter of freeing up space e.g. Mustard :D

EDIT: Just noticed this thread at the top of feedback:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054921080

patiently searching through it for an update from a higher authoritay

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

stooge wrote: »
    I have a question - have any of the site admins came on to this thread or others to state in relatively simple terms what the issue is, a timeline for a fix and to give a short apology for the disruption?
    Yep. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

Feelgood wrote: »
    Ahhh MySQL you gotta love it, its free and crap. No wonder Larry Ellison is so loaded..

except that this isn't a MySQL issue, it's a load balancing one. Even if Boards was powered by Oracle it'd still happen.
    *facepalm*
    JHMEG wrote:
    View the source of the database error page and you get more info. Currently:
    Host 'www-svr-1' is blocked because of many connection errors; unblock with 'mysqladmin flush-hosts'

In my opinion the boards setup is too complex for such a small site and would run better with less hardware and a simplified setup.

No, stop being silly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

Vexorg wrote: »
    We are well aware of the issues recently but cannot put a finger on exactly what is happening.

I think it's database problems.

HTH, to whom should I send my invoice?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Personally, I think when issues like this arise, the admins should take the entire site offline to fix it - because boards.ie is an all-or-nothing set of forums for its users. When they have it all, they love it. When they have nothing, they grieve.

When they have some use but it's not as fast/snappy/refreshable/searchable as they want it to be, they revolt.

Yes. This is it in a nutshell. If connection errors are happening frequently I think it's better to go offline. Just redirect to twitter or put up a note saying "Currently Offline - should be back by X". Having information really eases frustration at times like these.

I also agree with Dudess regarding the recurring issues boards has. I do understand that's because of it's unique position but it's a bit rich to say it ain't so.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement