Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

close boards down

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 private_joker

I think it might be an idea to every 6 months or so have a "cull" of all threads. i.e delete the database and start from scratch.

football365 forum does this every so often, and it speeds things up no end, they have a lot more users than boards.ie also.
    thoughts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

I think it might be an idea to every 6 months or so have a "cull" of all threads. i.e delete the database and start from scratch.

football365 forum does this every so often, and it speeds things up no end, they have a lot more users than boards.ie also.
    thoughts?
    No.

There's a lot of valuable information for people archived on Boards, which is different to the content of a football site and it'd simply mean getting the exact same questions/threads over and over and over and over and over whilst keeping them here ensures that at least some users will search the topic and get their answers from previous threads.

Silly idea for Boards.

Edit: Good to see Boards going down for some maintainence time today btw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

where will we all go?
    *arranges exodus for shutdown period*

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

thoughts?
    Football forums generate no useful content. Fact.

/me pens in a day's work for after lunch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,908 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Bye all..

** leaves and closes the door on way out **

** forgets keys, comes back but leaves the door open **

Oh noes! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Nerin wrote: »
    where will we all go?
    *arranges exodus for shutdown period*
    boards.tv ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

*able to sneak back in through open window*

You left the lights on people

• Registered Users Posts: 43,908 ✭✭✭✭Basq

The place smells like cheap booze and looks like someones killed a few hookers.

Oh, AlmightyCushion... will you ever learn? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭Wazdakka

takola wrote: »
    I have to agree. I'm a subscriber so none of you need bother coming at me with the "How can you complain about something that's free routine"! I'm happy to subscribe, Boards is a fantastic site and well worth the subscriber fee. I do intend to keep my subscription too. (By the way Davey, The Recliner is also a subscriber so get down off your bloody high horse there! :rolleyes:)

But recently it's been extremely frustrating. Constant time out's or database errors. What's going on? How long is it likely to continue? Is there specific work that's going on?

PS. I just got Database error while posting! Extremely annoying! :mad:

+1

Edit: Boards going offline???
    Say it aint so....
    I might have to do some actual work.....
    Where people might take my rantings seriously...

*mumbles incoherently about penguins*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

/in before downtime

/goes to do some blog work... meh

if your getting database errors, hold the F5 button on your keyboard for about 3 seconds, then let it go , it'll load then :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭Dun laoire

Over the last while it's been acting up. Pedal faster god damn it

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

There have been issues of late with performance but im sure its being worked on. No point and getting the flamethrower out yet OP! ;)

Not everyone knows where to look when there are site issues for updates etc so maybe a post in the newbies forum would help? (maybe there is one there already)

Anyway, Ruu mentioned something about reading a book when the site is down? Whats a b-o-o-k? Is it something i can put on my ipod???? :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Yes... this "book" you speak of - how might one operate it?

Dudess wrote: »

lol, you must have at least 64 mb ram :p
    paper,its what was around before boards

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Dudess wrote: »

Does it come with a bluetooth remote?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

wwman. being passive agressive since 1998

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

faceman wrote: »
    Does it come with a bluetooth remote?

You need Book V2.4.8 anything prior to that uses an infrared remote

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

faceman wrote: »
    There have been issues of late with performance but im sure its being worked on. No point and getting the flamethrower out yet OP! ;)

Not everyone knows where to look when there are site issues for updates etc so maybe a post in the newbies forum would help? (maybe there is one there already)

Anyway, Ruu mentioned something about reading a book when the site is down? Whats a b-o-o-k? Is it something i can put on my ipod???? :p

The fancy pants people call it 'Literature', even have a forum for it and all, mad stuff altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

It's gas I just looked at one of these book thingys lying around in my attic and you'll never guess what they have instead of hyperlinks and search engines?

AN INDEX!!

Bloody primitive cavemen.

P.S. While Boards was being particularly stubborn today, I read the Irish Times. I've been trying to reply to some of the letters to the editor all day. All that happens when I try to multi-quote is I poke holes in the paper. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭Dun laoire

wwman. being passive agressive since 1998

Jaysus man you've been around quite a while. I was still playing banana throw on DOS in 1998 FFS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

I demand my money back... What do you mean i'm not a subscriber ?

>_<

funny-pictures-family-guy-peacock.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

I heard some of the hookers spilled coke in one of the servers. When will they ever learn?

mate you might want to take that image down, anyone who has epilipsy will be f*cked

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭The Artist

things now seem to be easier now,they seem to getting this fixed.I really enjoyed this thread and i got such laughs to what the members posted.id say this should be thread of the month awards or something.Keep up the good work guys and still a have a pain on my side from it all:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭The Artist

mate you might want to take that image down, anyone who has epilipsy will be f*cked
    lol but me eyes are sore from it:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Damn, they better not visit http://www.seizurerobots.com

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement