Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

the Sun is Out! ... so are the a**holes

Options
  • 15-04-2008 9:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭

The weather was amazing yesterday, I got to wear my summer bibs for the first time this year. I headed to the park on my bike for a couple of hours, just doing a few laps and headed back at around 7.30 via Blanchardstown village.

My cycling high was cut short when some idiot ( and that's me being very polite ) decided to empty a bottle of water ( or whatever else it could have been) on me as they drove past me in their ****ty piece of crap black sports car ( that could have been even ****tier if I had had the balls to catch up with them and kick a massive dent on their door ) ...

I only gave them the 1 finger salute as they drove off ...

I know this is nothing compared to the mindless attack post of a few weeks ago, but I am 5 foot 'chick' on a bike, if they do that to me on the 1st nice day of the season this year, what am I in for till the end of the season.

Anyway ... will be out again tonight ...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

That's really ****ty. Stuff like that makes me wish I could shoot laser beams out my eyes.
    The weather was amazing yesterday, I got to wear my summer bibs for the first time this year. I headed to the park on my bike for a couple of hours, just doing a few laps and headed back at around 7.30 via Blanchardstown village.

My cycling high was cut short when some idiot ( and that's me being very polite ) decided to empty a bottle of water ( or whatever else it could have been) on me as they drove past me in their ****ty piece of crap black sports car ( that could have been even ****tier if I had had the balls to catch up with them and kick a massive dent on their door ) ...

I know this is nothing compared to the mindless attack post of a few weeks ago, but I am 5 foot 'chick' on a bike, if they do that to me on the 1st nice day of the season this year, what am I in for till the end of the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

Not doubt they laughed to each other like Bevis & Butt Head. It was probably the highlight of their unemployed day. Have you ever noticed on those Road Wars or Street Cops reality shows how really ugly the offenders are? 95% of these scumbags should be arrested for looks alone... "I'm sorry sir you'll have to come to the station with me. Did the circus leave town without you sir? I'm afraid you're scaring the children sir."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

It doesn't really matter thats its not as severe as the other attack it is none the less an attack, I would still recommend calling the gardai with the license plate if nothing else to put fear into the idiots that did it. I know its only water but because your not prepared for it, it could have caused you to lose control even momentarily which can lead to accidents.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭peterk19

i fcukin hate this type of crap personally i would have considered going past there car bringing cleat to paint, if you got the reg definitely report it

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭messed_up

It's bad enough having to deal with the amount of ignorant/inconsiderate/just plain bad drivers on our roads without having to worry about being the victim of mindless louts too.

Was doing a few loops of a local cycle lane one evening of the first week after the clocks went forward. Had to pass a large group of morons who were trying to break into a dressing room facility on the edge of the park (i did stop an phone the gards to let them know) but on my 3rd/4th time round there was a couple of bottles freshly broken in the cycle lane opposite the dressing room. Totally mindless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

I Just called the Blanchardstown Garda station to report it just now. I gave the description of the car and the location it occured ... but as I am slightly short sighted ... I wasn't able to take down the Reg# as the car was driving off last night. They said they keep it in the book for future reference.

Thanks for the support guys ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭gabgab

Yeh that is not cool, I am only just starting cycling and have not been out much but I must admit I might need some zanax or something for some of the bull**** I have seen already.......

I am gonna have to get better at getting my shoes out uf pedals and being a bit more stable,

I did do the road towards rathfarnham from Lamb Doyles, great craic but if someone had of done that to me I would of been in a ditch at best, more likely hospital

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭ditpoker

sort of on topic but how do people respond to this sort of stuff... the only 2 incidents i've seen or been apart of was ...

1. a grumpy wench of a woman in her silver merc parked across a bike lane as i peddled up, there was a break in traffic but i was still coming, she went for the break in traffic as i swerved passed her. she made the mistake of beeping at me so i stopped, turned around and cycled the few feet back and parked myself right in front of her. put my foot on her front bumper and just stared at her (bearing in mind it was winter and i wear http://images.cabelas.com/is/image/cabelas/s7_922460_renderset_05?$main-Large$ when cycling) stood there for a good 30 seconds before i got bored... i like to think she'll think twice before driving in a bike lane again.

2. not me, but a guy on a bike in front of me got cut off by a guy driving a van, at the next set of lights the guy on the bike shouted something at the van driver, who then, when the lights went green drove the straight line, kinda leaning to the left, encroaching on the bikers space to a point where the guy on the bike had to stop or get squashed between curb and car. so at the next set of lights the guy on the bike cycles up beside the van and punches the side mirror of the car, smashing the glass of it and leaving it dangling by a wire and then peddled off...

i like to think i'd have the balls to react the way the guy in 2 did, but is that a bit extreme?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭unionman

ditpoker wrote: »
    i like to think i'd have the balls to react the way the guy in 2 did, but is that a bit extreme?

It's always tempting, but as a rule of thumb I try to avoid an 'engage with the rage'. If a driver does something randomly stupid without realising, no harm letting them know. 9 out of 10 bike vs. car situations are caused by a drivers failure to check their left mirror. It's grossly stupid, but it happens, and it's almost never intentional.

But if they knowingly put you at risk (as happened to OP), that's a matter for the Gards, no question. Number plate it and report it straight away.

The risks of getting confrontational are too great to be worth it. You get distracted while doing it, worse can happen as you are no longer focused on the road. A motorist decides to get heavy...well... who knows what happens next; and if they broke the law, there's little point in joining them.

Road rage flares up with little warning, and if one party is in possession of a lethal weapon (ie, car/bus/van/truck), discretion is the better part of valour. And if motorists witness a cyclist smashing up a mirror - well, they form an opinion of all cyclists there and then, which won't make life any easier for the rest of us.

Don't get me wrong - I've reacted in anger and done stuff I'm not proud of. This is with my 'clear head' on. I confess I'm not always like this when I'm on two wheels.

Don't let the a***oles grind you down OP.

Yeah, really it is. If someone is driving dangerously or doing something that's endangering other people, report them.

The guy who got his mirror broken won't be less aggressive to cyclists now, whereas if someone reports him he might.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭neilled

Hmm well I've had no major incidents like that - but plenty of the usual gobsh1tes on the roads filling cyclelanes etc. I've invested in an airzound for expressing my iritation, gives the yummy mummy brigade in their 4x4's a fright!

Recommend them. CRC were out of stock when i ordred ( something like 15 euro cheaper than L.B.S.) so i got one of ebay from a chap in the uk for 23. Even got sent a tea bag with it to sup as i contemplated my next purchase which i thought was a nice touch.

If someone done domething to me (scummer in a corsa, waterbottle type thing) and I could catch them and had a one way street to disappear up I'd give consideration to whacking their wingmirror off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭peterk19

I tend to let accidents slide without incident just give them a bit of a look when im going past as these things happen but what annoys me is when its intentional or they blame you and try to mouth off to you on the road because they think they are safe in their car thats when the rage kicks in on me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

On my commute there is 1 stretch of cycle lane that cars always park in, often they are waiting for somebody. If the driver is in the car I make a point of slowing down and tapping on their window.
    Not sure if it will enrage or educate them, but it makes me feel better

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

Violence is quite effective at begetting further violence, so I try (these days) to communicate with errant drivers rather than take a wing-mirror with me.

I've never been the subject of assaults such as have been mentioned here recently, now that would be a good test for my pacifist resolve. I long for the day when I read of such a case resulting in criminal conviction...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭davej

Man - I am tempted* to carry a stone around with me in my pocket - ready to put through the window of any fu**er who tried this type of sh*t on me :mad:

*I do not condone anyone damaging private property

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

davej wrote: »
    *I do not condone anyone damaging private property

Although irresponsible and lazy drivers threaten to damage MY bike, and put MY life in danger day in day out.

:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

On the flip side I make a point of thanking a driver when they intentionally give you more space or don't make the left turn until you've passed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

Hungrycol wrote: »
    On the flip side I make a point of thanking a driver when they intentionally give you more space or don't make the left turn until you've passed.

True, me too, always give a wave when a motorist is considerate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

Yep - positive reinforcement! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

It's like training a dog - let them know when they're in the wrong, reward them for good behaviour. Analogy of dog not that far fetched for many cagers anyway, some of them really are animals when behind the wheel.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 757 ✭✭✭milod

I'm afraid to admit it but I suffer serious bike rage and, so far, have had three serious incidents with motorists:

1. I was cut up on a left turn - a guy literally turned across me spilling off the bike onto the pavement. So I got back on caught up with him and broke his mirror at the next light.

2. A bus driver pulled into a stop, again spilling me onto the pavement, so again I caught up on his drivers side and shouted at him through the little sliding window while holding onto the frame of the window - he tried to close the window on my hand so I punched him - only glanced off him though as the angle was all wrong.

3. a taxi started to 'play' with me by swerving into the bike lane along the quays - flipped him the finger so then he started to stab his brakes - at which point I kicked his rear side panel and he sped off. Caught up with him at the lights and knocked his door window off its rails - he was about to get out to me but must have seen my face...

Standard disclaimer: I don't condone violence! - but I really do go into a serious rage when someone endangers my life and in each case, I was frighteningly OTT. But what do you do? Do you really think you'll be taken seriously in a Garda station?

I went into Kilmainham station in full cycling gear to report a driver that mounted the pavement on St John's road and nearly creamed my missus. They didn't give a **** and I clearly heard them joking at my 'lovely shiny helmet' as I was leaving...:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Yeah I've wanted to ring the cops on several occasions but never bothered for fear of a) not being taken seriously and b) reading loads of comments that the confidential garda hotline is rubbish - answering machine, please call back, no answer, engaged etc.. I wonder if creating a website which allowed for a name-and-shame of the regs of bike-unfriendly drivers would make any difference? Of course one problem would be when a car is sold on it would still remain in the database as unfriendly.
    Still thinking of getting a bike/helmet cam to have evidence of future encounters - be it for youtube or the cops.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

milod wrote: »
    1. So I got back on caught up with him and broke his mirror at the next light.

2. so I punched him

3. I kicked his rear side panel....knocked his door window off its rails

Jesus Wept.

Go seek professional help.

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 761 ✭✭✭dedon

Thats loike the Northside for you!!! Wouldn't expect anything else from the cream crackers that live there

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

kenmc wrote: »
    I wonder if creating a website which allowed for a name-and-shame of the regs of bike-unfriendly drivers would make any difference? Of course one problem would be when a car is sold on it would still remain in the database as unfriendly.
    Still thinking of getting a bike/helmet cam to have evidence of future encounters - be it for youtube or the cops.

That would be a genius idea! (both the website and the helmet) -we should set it up :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Studoc

Don't think knocking off wing mirrors is the way forward to be honest! The other day in Rathmines I was following the cycle lane around to the left. Small white van overtook me, veered into the cycle lane almost knocking me off. Banged with my hand on the side of the van. He slowed down, opened his window and gave me an earful of abuse (middle aged man). Anyway, off he went only to get stuck at next lights. Cycled up, took out my phone and started taking photos of his van. He rolled down his window and apologised profusely. He got to keep his wing mirrors!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭unionman

Studoc wrote: »
    Cycled up, took out my phone and started taking photos of his van. He rolled down his window and apologised profusely!

I think you might be on to something here. The idea of a name and shame website suddenly very appealing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭oobydooby

Sorry to hear that OP but it's good to report these things, even if inconvenient - if it had been a less experienced cyclist the effects could have been bad.

I'm all for positive reinforcement too, always wave cars on if it's safe for them to pass me, or turn in front of me. Always wave if they're patient behind me. Always pull in if I'm holding them up unnecessarily. But I go mental if I'm attacked, or think I am.:mad:

Last summer I was cycling down Drumcondra, on my way back to town from a spin to Balbriggan. A big white van nearly scootched me into the kerb just at the river. I went ballistic and chased him, breaking red lights, at 50+kph. The place was crawling with gardai too cos there was a match on in Croker. I caught the van in traffic just outside the Archbishop's place and thumped the bejaysus out of it. I was screaming and yelling "you nearly killed me" "you nearly kilt me" "Get out of the van" and I felt I could lift up the van I had such a rage on me and fling it over the Archbishop's wall. I was bluemoulting. Well of course there were piles of gardai all around the place so I was quickly surrounded, but I was so livid I hadn't noticed. There were also about 40 Tipp fans cheering me on from across the road. They pulled the van over and took the driver out. It was a Chinese lad and he was really sorry. He just hadn't seen me. I'd thought it would be a typical white van thug and I'd eat his heart but this was just a careless driver. I felt a bit stupid and apologised to the gardai explaining that I'd just lost the rag and that this kind of thing was happening too often that bad drivers would nearly kill me. I was kitted like a cyclist, helmet, isotonic drinks etc which might have helped but the garda says to me 'don't be apologising. I'm a cyclist myself. You're dead right" and asked me if I wanted to press charges. I didn't of course and the driver went off with a bollocking from the garda. Garda said I was mental to be cycling in this city and I should head up the mountains. Sound man.

Report them. Also +1 for the name and shame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 761 ✭✭✭dedon

oobydooby wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that OP but it's good to report these things, even if inconvenient - if it had been a less experienced cyclist the effects could have been bad.

I'm all for positive reinforcement too, always wave cars on if it's safe for them to pass me, or turn in front of me. Always wave if they're patient behind me. Always pull in if I'm holding them up unnecessarily. But I go mental if I'm attacked, or think I am.:mad:

Last summer I was cycling down Drumcondra, on my way back to town from a spin to Balbriggan. A big white van nearly scootched me into the kerb just at the river. I went ballistic and chased him, breaking red lights, at 50+kph. The place was crawling with gardai too cos there was a match on in Croker. I caught the van in traffic just outside the Archbishop's place and thumped the bejaysus out of it. I was screaming and yelling "you nearly killed me" "you nearly kilt me" "Get out of the van" and I felt I could lift up the van I had such a rage on me and fling it over the Archbishop's wall. I was bluemoulting. Well of course there were piles of gardai all around the place so I was quickly surrounded, but I was so livid I hadn't noticed. There were also about 40 Tipp fans cheering me on from across the road. They pulled the van over and took the driver out. It was a Chinese lad and he was really sorry. He just hadn't seen me. I'd thought it would be a typical white van thug and I'd eat his heart but this was just a careless driver. I felt a bit stupid and apologised to the gardai explaining that I'd just lost the rag and that this kind of thing was happening too often that bad drivers would nearly kill me. I was kitted like a cyclist, helmet, isotonic drinks etc which might have helped but the garda says to me 'don't be apologising. I'm a cyclist myself. You're dead right" and asked me if I wanted to press charges. I didn't of course and the driver went off with a bollocking from the garda. Garda said I was mental to be cycling in this city and I should head up the mountains. Sound man.

Report them. Also +1 for the name and shame.

Hate to loike say it but thats the Northside for you. Actually I got abused today in Co. Clare and got a bottle thrown at me by a school kid. All in a days cycling :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23 drcopernicus

OP was assaulted within the meaning of the Non-Fatal Offences Against the Person Act and anyone who experiences anything like that should immediately alert the gardai, especially if you have a description of the car and the reg.

Don't phone a hotline, you should programme your phone with the numbers of actual garda stations of relevance to you. And let them know you'll be following the matter up. They are legally obliged to investigate any crime reported to them. But to secure a conviction they need reasonable evidence - like a reg or whatever.

The dude who put his foot on the silver merc should also note that he might well be found guilty of assault on those facts too - not worth it, mate. An assault occurs where a person either uses force (minimal force that means, including throwing water) or causes a person to fear that force will be used upon them. If yer wan gave evidence that she was afraid she was going to be assaulted, a judge (especially an unstable District Court punter with an aversion to hippy cyclists) might well infer from the facts that you meant her to feel that way. You don't need a criminal record.

And breaking a mirror is criminal damage - understandable to get upset, but be aware that if you're close enough to smash a mirror, you're close enough to get the reg and shop the knt to the Man.

Advertisement