Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tenant Rights

Options
  • 15-04-2008 9:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

I rent an apartment through an agency this February. But my landlord gave me a notice that she would sell property soon, while I have one year lease with her until next January.

What’s my rights if she sold the property and new landlord ask me to move out before lease is finished?

And does she have rights to let potential buyers come to my home often? (Contract term only says she has rights to let someone view the apartment at last 6 weeks before lease finish.)

Help me. Thanks a million.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭silverski

I rent an apartment through an agency this February. But my landlord gave me a notice that she would sell property soon, while I have one year lease with her until next January.

What’s my rights if she sold the property and new landlord ask me to move out before lease is finished?

And does she have rights to let potential buyers come to my home often? (Contract term only says she has rights to let someone view the apartment at last 6 weeks before lease finish.)

Help me. Thanks a million.

Greetings,

Best thing to do is to contact Threshold.

They will give you all the advice you need.

But I do think that the landlord can sell the apartment and ask you to vacate on completion of sale.

But like I said Threshold will give you the exact answer

Regards

Silverski

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 BelieveYourself

Thank you for your reply.

Threshold says:

http://www.threshold.ie/page.asp?menu=70&page=240

Leases for fixed Periods

A formal lease or letting agreement is usually for a fixed period (e.g. a year). You cannot be asked to leave during that time unless you are in rent arrears or in breach of your tenancy ons.

Security of Tenure

The Residential Tenancies Act 2004 affords greater security of tenure to tenants in the private rented sector. The landlord can terminate the tenancy without reason during the initial six months but once the tenancy has lasted six months, the landlord will only be able to end it on specific grounds. Acceptable grounds include the tenant not complying with their obligations (e.g. not paying their rent), the landlord intending to sell the dwelling...

Do these two terms make any sense? One term says she can't. The other one says she can.

I'm totally confused. And the lease contract seems quite useless to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭patrickolee

Yes, it is pretty much useless to you. Very useful for the landlord though!

Those two clauses do not contradict each other. One says he cannot sell without reason and the other says an acceptable reason is that they want to sell.

Basically tenants have very few rights in real life Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Afuera

Do these two terms make any sense? One term says she can't. The other one says she can.

I'm totally confused. And the lease contract seems quite useless to me.
    You have a fixed term lease (which expires next January), so the top one applies to you. I.E. The landlord cannot ask you to leave until it's up. You do have to allow the landlord access to the property, but it has to be prearranged (and it should be at a convenient time for you etc.).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 BelieveYourself

Afuera wrote: »
    You have a fixed term lease (which expires next January), so the top one applies to you. I.E. The landlord cannot ask you to leave until it's up. You do have to allow the landlord access to the property, but it has to be prearranged (and it should be at a convenient time for you etc.).

That's fair enough.

I guess the second term applies to people don't have contract at hand. That makes sense. (But why it didn't clearly state on web page? Or maybe I didn't see it.)

Thanks a million for your help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,399 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Afuera wrote: »
    You can use whichever gives you the most rights - the lease or the act.

Charge for visits if they insist on things being tidy, etc.

If they want you out - €€€€

Advertisement