Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Customs

Options
  • 15-04-2008 9:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭

I ordered a pair of boots off Cabelas and paid the duty on them when they arrived, I then sent them back for exchange as they were the wrong size. The exchange boots arrived today and An Post want me to pay duty on them again, where do I stand on this:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

I ordered a pair of boots off Cabelas and paid the duty on them when they arrived, I then sent them back for exchange as they were the wrong size. The exchange boots arrived today and An Post want me to pay duty on them again, where do I stand on this:confused:

I think you're stuck with paying it. The time to get the refund on the duty was when you were sending them back.

An Post can't know if it's the original pair or a second pair that you're getting in this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭riflehunter77

rrpc wrote: »
    I think you're stuck with paying it. The time to get the refund on the duty was when you were sending them back.

An Post can't know if it's the original pair or a second pair that you're getting in this time.

Same thing happened with me a few years back, its a bit of a b*lls but I made some what of a saving anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭gofaster_s13

AFAIK Cabelas should have marked the package exchange which they didnt do:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭maims3875

;)
    You should only pay duty on what you actually import. You should contact customs and advise them of the situation, An Post will give you the local customs telephone number.

Make sure you get a receipt of all duty paid and for the postage for the returned goods.

I import a lot of kit from the US and found that if I deal with customs directly, it is far easier. also you normally only pay import duty on the amount declared in the shipping invoice, I normally get my suppliers to ensure that a "suitable" invoice is attached.

Just be careful not to take the piss though, the last thing you need is to be on customs black book!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭IDon'tKnow!

The exchanged goods should have being sent with an invoice with no value as they were the exchanged item.

• Advertisement
Advertisement