Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Miss UCD

Options
  • 15-04-2008 9:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I didn't even know it was on! :eek: Cheers Students Against Sexism!!! :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭PennyLane

Yeah, c'mon, where's the Mr. UCD pageant? (Swimsuit round, anyone?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭BlackMamba

PennyLane wrote: »
    Yeah, c'mon, where's the Mr. UCD pageant? (Swimsuit round, anyone?)

I second the motion!;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

pics or it didnt happen. !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

I think theres a protest being organised for it too. On account of...actually I have no idea why, though a certain boardsie might explain ;)

Here I was thinking that students would have better things to do like study and get pissed around exam time! Oh know, a group have managed to squeeze in a "straight out of the 60's" protest about sexism! Seriously, if girls throw their name into the lot and want to parade around then more power to them!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

I think its a "but sure we all have lovely bottoms" kinda protest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

There's a good chance that pretty*monster will be there with a megaphone, so might wanna be careful with the jokes! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

DaveMcG wrote: »
    There's a good chance that pretty*monster will be there with a megaphone, so might wanna be careful with the jokes! :D

It is a boarsie who is organising it, but its not our Pretty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭pretty*monster

I have a thesis to write. I no longer have time to hold opinions on anything but phenomenology and whiskey.

Also the objectification of women is probably inevitable in the unending struggle with the other. See Hegel, Sartre, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

Indeed. The posters don't go into detail about why they're protesting though, maybe I just didn't notice 'cus I was staring at barbie's tits :eek:

• Advertisement

Fair dues to our panda but I find it astonishing that alot of women in UCD walk around in what can only be described as painted on knickers on a daily basis think that this objectifies women. Its pretty much obvious that women objectify themselves on a daily basis and moan then when its insitutionalised

Someone call the womans officer ....... oh wait

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭remus808

Grimes wrote: »
    Someone call the womans officer ....... oh wait

Ho ho ho, got a good chuckle out of that one, bravo. :pac:

This ultra-feminist crap does my head in. a) its a bit of craic, cop on.. b) the motion against it was already democratically voted down by the SU, hence your getting nowhere trying to do anything about it at this stage. Get angry if you must, but get over it.

Yes KarmaB but a democratic vote is reasonable and we are dealing with women here .........................

... ill get my coat :D

<joke btw>

tribulus wrote: »
    Indeed. The posters don't go into detail about why they're protesting though, maybe I just didn't notice 'cus I was staring at barbie's tits :eek:

The fliers do, though. I read one in Arts today and then corrected all the typos while waiting for my lecture to start. Honestly, if they really want to get their point across they should try to at least seem well-informed. The basic point is that it's sexist and a product of the Patriarchy that's undermining our women's self-esteem and causing depression, eating disorders, etc.

On the one hand, I do find it a bit objectifying and therefore offensive, and I find these things more often than not pick the stereotypically hot girl rather than the one who's actually attractive and doesn't look like she has crabs. But on the other hand, it is for a charity and it's the girls' own choice to put themselves out to market. In all honesty, I'd just like to see a somewhat equivalent male event so that I'll have something to oggle. It's only fair, and after all, isn't fairness what feminism is really all about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

But on the other hand, it is for a charity and it's the girls' own choice to put themselves out to market. In all honesty, I'd just like to see a somewhat equivalent male event so that I'll have something to oggle. It's only fair, and after all, isn't fairness what feminism is really all about?

I agree with this. If its the girl's choice, and for charity, why the issues with it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

Can anybody provide details about the actual contest for posterity? When are finals etc?

Id enter a male version. Objectify your eyes out ladies :D but only if there is a swimsuit section. Would I wax my bits? Probably. OP there is your answer. Pretty*Monster I need your help to reach the bits I cant get. Cheers! Be on Team G.

Anyway isnt the UCD fashion show a bit of a Miss UCD competition? I already know who is going to win this anyway. Ill give you a hint, it begings with an R and ends with O'neill

RO'neill? Whodat?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭redcar

Cast your mind back to a McDonalds ad...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaBIU6k60Ko

"What?! You mean the two week free gaff is gone?!"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭simonrooneyzaga

Grimes wrote: »
    I already know who is going to win this anyway. Ill give you a hint, it begings with an R and ends with O'neill

Ah dont be so negative grimes! It really is anyones game when beauts like this are entering...

ugly-girl.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

tribulus wrote: »
    I think theres a protest being organised for it too. On account of...actually I have no idea why, though a certain boardsie might explain ;)

Theres leaflets around the place explaining our protestation. Basically ,we object to the unions involvment in what is a very sexist and exclusive event.
    Here are the rules for the 'competiton':

Each contestant:-

1) shall be of good character and possessed of charm poise personality and have beauty of face and figure

2) shall be a person whose background is not likely to bring into disrepute The Miss World Contest or Title or the Licensee or the Promoter or any person associated with them Posing for nude or semi nude pictures would be considered in this.

3) shall be a person :-

(i) who usually uses the prefix 'Miss' ( or eqivalent ) before her name

(ii) who has never been through any ceremony either valid or invalid and whether civil, religious or tribal which is recognized as a marriage ceremony in any part of the world

(iii) who has never given birth to a child

Each girl that enters must be a minimum of 5foot4inches

What sort of message Is this sending out to the majority of union membership (Ie. young females)?
    If your short your ugly?
    After you have a child your ugly?
    When you get married your no longer desirable?
    Only single,tall ,virgins are worthy to represnt UCD on a world stage! Its very offensive and is not a message that the union should be associating with.
    karmabass wrote: »

This ultra-feminist crap does my head in. a) its a bit of craic, cop on.. b) the motion against it was already democratically voted down by the SU, hence your getting nowhere trying to do anything about it at this stage. Get angry if you must, but get over it.

A bit of craic is a table quiz or a karoke, having women show their bodies so their bum,thighs,breasts,face can be scrutinized by a whole load of men is not 'a bit of craic'. If you think it is then I urge you to come along tommorow and I will happily give you marks out of ten for your body shape and type. Its a 1 outside the arts block hope to see you there.

As for being 'democratically' voted down......Well, union council Is made up of a majority of young males I felt I would take my message to the real union membership,i.e a majority of young females. The support from students and staff has been overwhelming. If the union are trying to get more women inovled in the union,as they should be,they are going the wrong way about it.

On the one hand, I do find it a bit objectifying and therefore offensive, and I find these things more often than not pick the stereotypically hot girl rather than the one who's actually attractive and doesn't look like she has crabs. But on the other hand, it is for a charity and it's the girls' own choice to put themselves out to market. In all honesty, I'd just like to see a somewhat equivalent male event so that I'll have something to oggle. It's only fair, and after all, isn't fairness what feminism is really all about?

Thats why we decided not to hold the protest at the venue itself. We do not want or wish to intimidate the women themselves who choose to enter this competiton. Our protest is at the outdated concept of Miss World itself. We also want to protest at the unions involvment and to show our disspointment they are supporting this sexist event while doing little to highlight womens issues on campus this year.

As for being for charity,it is not up to a student union to fund a completly underfunded part of the health service. Awarnness/treatment/research for primary Immunodeficiency disorders is completly underresourced in Ireland .If the union really cared about rasing money for underfunded parts of the health service then they should mobilise students to fight back against these cutbacks in our health service instead of running a beauty pageant which will raise an insignisficant amount for a very significant cause.

I urge all those who oppose sexism on campus and the unions involvment in this degrading event to come along tommorow at 1 outside the arts blcok. We have some excellent speakers form the Equality department and all in all It will be a thought-provoking,intresting,and fun event :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭bren2002

The OUTRAGE of it all. Seriously, not a big deal - build a bridge....

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

panda100 wrote: »
    A bit of craic is a table quiz or a karoke, having women show their bodies so their bum,thighs,breasts,face can be scrutinized by a whole load of men is not 'a bit of craic'.
    Sounds like much more craic then a table quiz to me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭bren2002

Re above:

:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭bugle

get a hobby for gods sake. its a bit of fun

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭fatal

Its just like any other competition,it has rules.If you can't stick to them,you're not in,simple as!
    As long as I get to perve at some blonde bimbo in a crown at the end,I really couldn't care less about the whole thing:D

panda100 wrote: »
    Theres leaflets around the place explaining our protestation. Basically ,we object to the unions involvment in what is a very sexist and exclusive event.
    Here are the rules for the 'competiton':

[...]

What sort of message Is this sending out to the majority of union membership (Ie. young females)?
    If your short your ugly?
    After you have a child your ugly?
    When you get married your no longer desirable?
    Only single,tall ,virgins are worthy to represnt UCD on a world stage! Its very offensive and is not a message that the union should be associating with.

Ah, there's that language from the flier.
    • Spaces go after the comma, not before, and they're not optional.
    • It's typed "i.e.", with both letters lowercase and a period after each.
    • It's "you're", not "your".
    • The Union is a proper noun and should be capitalized.
    • Also, use double quotations, not inverted commas.

Your English teachers must be crying right now. I'd take the whole protest movement a lot more seriously if it looked like there was some learning to back up all the passionate rhetoric. Oh, and it'd make you guys look even better if you backed up some of your claims with citations to legitimate studies. I'm talking about things like "In Ireland alone 6000 women suffer from eating disorders compared to 400 men" or "Last year alone L'oreal made a massive €1.86 billion in profits!"

Also, re: no mothers or wives, it wouldn't be "Miss" UCD if they let in someone's missus, now would it? It doesn't come across (to me at least) like they're saying these women aren't beautiful enough to be in their pageant. There are other criteria besides being pretty, which is why they put that clause in about the background of the contestants reflecting well on the contest's reputation. Wives and mothers are simply not the demographic their looking for. Don't worry, they'll get their chance in the "Ms. MILF UCD" contest next month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭fatal

Ah, there's that language from the flier.
    • Spaces go after the comma, not before, and they're not optional.
    • It's typed "i.e.", with both letters lowercase and a period after each.
    • It's "you're", not "your".
    • The Union is a proper noun and should be capitalized.
    • Also, use double quotations, not inverted commas.

Your English teachers must be crying right now. I'd take the whole protest movement a lot more seriously if it looked like there was some learning to back up all the passionate rhetoric. Oh, and it'd make you guys look even better if you backed up some of your claims with citations to legitimate studies. I'm talking about things like "In Ireland alone 6000 women suffer from eating disorders compared to 400 men" or "Last year alone L'oreal made a massive €1.86 billion in profits!"

Also, re: no mothers or wives, it wouldn't be "Miss" UCD if they let in someone's missus, now would it? It doesn't come across (to me at least) like they're saying these women aren't beautiful enough to be in their pageant. There are other criteria besides being pretty, which is why they put that clause in about the background of the contestants reflecting well on the contest's reputation. Wives and mothers are simply not the demographic their looking for. Don't worry, they'll get their chance in the "Ms. MILF UCD" contest next month.

I LOL'd;)

Panda

While I respect what your doing I still havnt figured out how to do multiple quote boxes in a reply so Ill just say this. Id appreciate it if you stopped using the word sexist, women who enter these events enter of their own will and want to do this, its not a male sexisim thing and as I man i take offence. Women create this image for themselves, I or no man has a hand in making them do this or indeed making them parade themselves around on adaily basis.
    I really couldnt give a **** if UCD's homogenous terry chocolate oranges want to parade their oddly preportioned bodies around. I would assume you would have taken the last few days to conduct your own impartial poll of the UCD electorate

"do you think miss ucd should be cancelled" yes/no

Im with the Union on this one. This has obviously been in the works for a while and the entire SU council heard it, and I know alot of female SU council members and not one had a problem with this or if they did , didnt make the problem public.

Now on a personal note I wont be at this myself, I dont find the fake tan and fish eyed smile a turn on , Im much more into the bohemian weirdo but in a hot way type.And as we all know, these are the women you bring home to your mother. Men dont go for the type of women that would be involved in such a thing, its like I drive a Mazda, Id love a Ferrari but its way too much hassle and a bitch to drive. So Ill stick with the Mazda. Therefore the fact that you state that a patriarchal society forced women into eating disorders ect is the biggest pile of feminist anti-man anti-self responsiblity crap I have ever heard. Women create this themselves through a weird fascination with looking uber hot "not for him but for myself" and such an image has evolved from the female half of society while the men simply enjoy the evolution!

Anyway in summary, because I have just woken up and usually make no sense when I just wake up I want to say that this isnt a sexist event. It may be in the way that there is no male event and all that (i think ive already supported a male competition earlier in this thread woot woot). I refuse to hate my penis over this !

• Advertisement

I think there should be an impromptu 'Miss Students Against Sexism' competition... Panda, you could be in with a shout tbh...... put on some lipstick or somethin before the protest!

Advertisement