Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Miss UCD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Does the SU council really represent the student body?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭PennyLane

Well, isn't it supposed to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

I think he means in reality or in practise rather than just in theory?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

I mean how many class reps actually consult their classes before a vote is taken? Are they actually representing the UCD populous or just their own opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

RheTORical eh?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭MarkOShea

I don't see anything wrong with a girl wanting to enter Miss UCD, be judged the fairest of our most comely maidens and represent us at Miss University Ireland, followed my Miss Ireland and then onto the main even itself.

Sure if Rosanna can do it (albeit Miss Dun Laoghaire --> Miss Ireland --> Miss World) as a UCD student I don't see why the rest of them can't be given the chance.

And anway, looks aren't everything. Surely we all know that after spending some time listening to/stalking/working with some of the "hot" girls on campus.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

I dont see what the problem is ? Its a silly contest for sure but a protest against it ? hah.

All this talk of sexism and objectifying women is ridiculous.

THEY ARE ENTERING OF THEIR OWN FREE WILL. THEY WANT TO BE JUDGED.

If it was a bunch of guys judging girls body parts who hadnt entered the contest and publicly posting the results, I could understand your anger.

I think some people are just a tad ticked off that they dont meet the requirements of this competition and cant enter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭pretty*monster

Perhhaps they are to learn the englisch for to speak her the well.

Indeed, the perils of posting with a head cold are manifold.
    Tusky wrote: »
    All this talk of sexism and objectifying women is ridiculous.

THEY ARE ENTERING OF THEIR OWN FREE WILL. THEY WANT TO BE JUDGED.

That's neither here nor there. That the contestants have chosen to compete is irrelevant to the question of whether a beauty contest props up a negative stereotype or whatever. If beauty contests are a bad thing then they're a bad thing whether or not people want to enter them. In theory women are just as capable as men of holding their sisters back.

Incidentally the 'but it's all for charity' argument is just as irrelevant.

A-and, if ladies are so interested in being the next Miss world why don't they just enter their Miss [insert locality of choice] competition. I really don't see what the SU is involved for; I hardly think it's the best use of my membership fee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 bored-in-libary

surely the fact that it was an emergency motion before council and the class reps didnt have time to consult with their classes means that the SU vote didnt reflect the student body as a whole?

and from what i hear from, several of the ents sponsers this year have said they will not sponser ents next year because of this, losing ents about 30grand!!

did anyone go to the protest outside arts block today?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭MuddyDog

who's all entering anyway? pics??

Grimes wrote: »
    I mean how many class reps actually consult their classes before a vote is taken? Are they actually representing the UCD populous or just their own opinion.

I figured that's what you meant, but isn't it reasonable to protest when a group that's supposed to be representing the student body isn't?
    Tusky wrote: »
    I think some people are just a tad ticked off that they dont meet the requirements of this competition and cant enter.

Okay, this is getting a little old. Wanna see my credentials? Just kidding: you don't meet my entry requirements. Jerk.
    A-and, if ladies are so interested in being the next Miss world why don't they just enter their Miss [insert locality of choice] competition. I really don't see what the SU is involved for; I hardly think it's the best use of my membership fee.

Yeah, I think that's what it comes down to for me. There's already a regional network in place for those interested in competing in these things; the Student Union (and by extension, my money) doesn't need to get involved.
    MuddyDog wrote: »
    who's all entering anyway? pics??

Sweets, you are entering a world of pain... :-P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

lol, membership fee? [italian american accent]Forgetabouit!
    In my years in ucd my manditory SU membership fee has rarely been spent on much which is relevant to me. What about your TV licence fee? Has the production of such cultural gems as 'Fair City' or the like ever met with your personal seal of approval? I know its not a great comparison but my point is, not everything is aimed at you. If some people need the admiration of stranges and want to strut around, who are any of us to stop them? They paid their SU membership fees too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭pretty*monster

ferdi wrote: »
    lol, membership fee? [italian american accent]Forgetabouit!
    In my years in ucd my manditory SU membership fee has rarely been spent on much which is relevant to me. What about your TV licence fee? Has the production of such cultural gems as 'Fair City' or the like ever met with your personal seal of approval? I know its not a great comparison but my point is, not everything is aimed at you.

Wow, my point went right over your head, didn't it sweetheart?
    It's not about whether Miss UCD is aimed at me. It's about the fact that the people who want to me Miss World already have the option of entering their local Miss [insert locality here] competition. So UCDSU is spending money promoting an event of negligible merit (come on, while we may want to row over whether Miss World is a bad thing, surely we can all agree that it's not, in any obvious way, a good thing) that interested parties could get involved in elsewhere. Pissing money up the wall, non?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

It's not about whether Miss UCD is aimed at me. It's about the fact that the people who want to me Miss World already have the option of entering their local Miss [insert locality here] competition. So UCDSU is spending money promoting an event of negligible merit that interested parties could get involved in elsewhere. Pissing money up the wall, non?

Well, frankly, no. Firstly, getting into modelling is a far more daunting ordeal than you might think - plenty of people might never had been models were it not for accesssible and less-commercial compettions like this one. It might be as important for them as a 'Be the next Germaine Greer!" writing competition would be for you.

Secondly, the primary aim of the contest is to generate money for charity. Between sponsorship and ticket costs the UCDSU will either make their money back, or write off the expense as a charitable donation. In either case the main point of your previous (quoted) argument falls down. Of course you could call me 'sugarplum' and try and pull another straw-man fallacy out of the bag...

I'm still pulling for an equivalent Mr. UCD pageant. C'mon, guys, it'll be for charity!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

(come on, while we may want to row over whether Miss World is a bad thing, surely we can all agree that it's not, in any obvious way, a good thing)

I'd say its good for Miss World, non?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

I'd do it.

But I'll be finished in two weeks. I'll never get my big break :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

It's not about whether Miss UCD is aimed at me. It's about the fact that the people who want to me Miss World already have the option of entering their local Miss [insert locality here] competition. So UCDSU is spending money promoting an event of negligible merit (come on, while we may want to row over whether Miss World is a bad thing, surely we can all agree that it's not, in any obvious way, a good thing) that interested parties could get involved in elsewhere. Pissing money up the wall, non?

lol, you're calling me sweetheart? I hope the irony of that dosnt go right over your head.
    ...It's about the fact that the people who want to me Miss World already have the option of entering their local Miss [insert locality here] competition...

Freudian slip much?;)

Look, its for charity, if you dont like it you can protest or stay away. Personally I couldnt give a monkeys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Spraggs

What muck. If some eejit wants to be crowned Miss UCD let them be. What a waste of your own time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,053 ✭✭✭BKtje

I don't have anything against the thing itself but those entry requirements are terrible. That said, i assume as this is a feeder competition that it has to use the same entry requirements as main competition(s).
    I'm still pulling for an equivalent Mr. UCD pageant. C'mon, guys, it'll be for charity!
    I'd enter (probably require some ego prodding for me to go through with it though) as long as i meet the requirements :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 bored-in-libary

Secondly, the primary aim of the contest is to generate money for charity. Between sponsorship and ticket costs the UCDSU will either make their money back, or write off the expense as a charitable donation.

you mean "charity event" like the fashion show, that made how much again?? more like how much did it lose! so this event is clearly not about the charity!
    there are more and better ways to makea alot more money for charity!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

you mean "charity event" like the fashion show, that made how much again?? more like how much did it lose!

Did a charity lose money? No. Mismanagement of UCD funds are a different matter entirely. DIT can manage to run a very successful fashion show every year (in Vicar Street no less) as do many other colleges. The fact that UCD is a shambles at every level of administration is not a valid reason for doing without any sort of landmark events - for gods sake, look at the UCD ball thread. We need more events, not less.
    so this event is clearly not about the charity!

Best of luck with the exams there mate... I hope for your own sake that none of your courses involve elementary logic.
    there are more and better ways to makea alot more money for charity!

I'm sure there are - that said, that comment bears absolutely no relevance to my argument

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Although I'm against some of the entry restrictions, which isn't even an argument being touched on in this forum - the event itself is harmless fun.
    Some people like these sort of contests, and I say fair play to them - it takes a lot of guts to stand in front of your peers in an event such as this and undertake different tasks. It's a learning experience for the contestants if nothing else. It could educate them in public speaking and in marketing (two traits that employers go nuts for). College is all about learning and not only in an academic sense.
    As far as I know, no one has said no to a Mr. UCD pageant. I'm sure if enough people ask Gary Redmond to organise such an event - it could happen early next semester.
    No one is trying to exploit anyone or forcing anyone to enter. If you don't like the idea, boycott the event and convince others to do so, by all means - but at the end of the day - people will still attend such an event.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

PennyLane wrote: »
    Yeah, c'mon, where's the Mr. UCD pageant? (Swimsuit round, anyone?)
    They really need to have a Mr.UCD pagent going-on in tandem to take the 'curse' off it.

That would stop the looney-PC brigade from ringing Pat Kenny and asking why disabled-vegan-lesbian women can't participate because of the height restrictions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

and from what i hear from, several of the ents sponsers this year have said they will not sponser ents next year because of this, losing ents about 30grand!!

did anyone go to the protest outside arts block today?

Offical complaints have been made to Vodafone and AIB, from staff in particular, about sponsering Miss UCD and they wish to distance themselves from such an event,as far as I know.

Thank you to everyone who came along to the protest today. There was a fantastic,community buzz surrounding it with what was a huge show of support form both students and staff. The speakers were excellent and highlighted why It was so important for us to take action against the union involvment in Miss UCD.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭TelePaul

Todays protest was nothing short of pathetic. I couldn't help but feel ashamed to be a UCD student as I walked out of the Arts block. You know what I think is sexist? The fact that UCD has a womens officer and not a mans officer. That's sexist. But you don't see me making a nuisance of myself, because frankly, I've better things to do.

They really need to have a Mr.UCD pagent going-on in tandem to take the 'curse' off it.

Exactly. Also, shirtless men. I mean, uh, equality...yeah, equality....

I'd push for it myself but I'm not gonna be around next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Damn missed the protest.... Saw a load of people at the smoking section so gathered that's what was going on, but didn't wait around. Was there a radio person interviewing someone there? Saw someone with a microphone and a [recording?] device.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Donald-Duck

TelePaul wrote: »
    Todays protest was nothing short of pathetic. I couldn't help but feel ashamed to be a UCD student as I walked out of the Arts block. You know what I think is sexist? The fact that UCD has a womens officer and not a mans officer. That's sexist. But you don't see me making a nuisance of myself, because frankly, I've better things to do.
    And the most ironic thing of all, next week you can be half the girls who were at the protest will be wearing their 2 inch skirts.

Advertisement