Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Miss UCD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

DaveMcG wrote: »
    Damn missed the protest.... Saw a load of people at the smoking section so gathered that's what was going on, but didn't wait around. Was there a radio person interviewing someone there? Saw someone with a microphone and a [recording?] device.

no radio people from my end. Probably interviews for the newspaper?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Kulgan

Just saw the piece on news2 there

Damn UCD isn't what it used to be if that's the best it has to offer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭MizzLolly

karmabass wrote: »
    Ho ho ho, got a good chuckle out of that one, bravo. :pac:

This ultra-feminist crap does my head in. a) its a bit of craic, cop on.. b) the motion against it was already democratically voted down by the SU, hence your getting nowhere trying to do anything about it at this stage. Get angry if you must, but get over it.

Hmmm... I dunno, I can understand what you're saying and in this case maybe you're right but sexism in UCD is pretty rampant.

Just look at the J1 poster!

Or one I seen floating around today about giving your 'YES' vote to the Lisbon Treaty. Why did that notice need a picture of a pretty girl holding two huge melons up to her chest???

Before you all start attacking me, let me just clarify that I am neither for or against Miss UCD. It's their own business if they choose to participate in my opinion. In the same sense, it is enitrely justified for students to oppose it.

The 'get over it' statement works both ways. Besides I think people are just a little annoyed with the whole thing because they imagine Miss UCD to be a pretty size six blond who's been private schooled and has a D4 address. Again, as far as I'm concerned that's their own business and I have no issues with it but from what I gather by speaking to other students, introducing competitiveness regarding beauty and popularity into an Academic arena is not a wise move. Whether that is right or wrong, it does seem to be the general notion out there.

And of course some of it is simply jealousy. I'm not denying that :p

Personally, I couldn't care less but I can see the two sides of the argument.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭PennyLane

Kulgan wrote: »
    Damn UCD isn't what it used to be if that's the best it has to offer!

I'm sure it isn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Steve.Pseudonym

I'm extremely late to this discussion, but nonetheless:

I think some of the best points of the thread were made by Penny, simply that women have more to them than looks. Any number of women don't conform to my standard of beauty, that hardly makes them ugly, it far less makes them worthless. I don't see how that changes when my standard of beauty is replaced by the standards of a panel of judges.

I believe the core problem is not beauty contests nor the standard of beauty they employ, but rather the view that many women take towards themselves, that is that they must be physically beautiful or have no value. That becomes even more problematic when you figure in that different people will find different characteristics appealing, and have different standards of beauty. Perhaps a more worthwhile approach to beauty competitions would simply be to accept that their standard is the view of some people (and they are entitled to that view) and to simply not take it to heart. You (or some proportion of the female population) don't conform to some else's standards, who cares? But to say that beauty competitions are wrong because they have the potential to make some women feel bad? That's just silly. I'm afraid the problem does not lie with the competition, it lies with those who have the problem.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

MizzLolly wrote: »
    Or one I seen floating around today about giving your 'YES' vote to the Lisbon Treaty. Why did that notice need a picture of a pretty girl holding two huge melons up to her chest???

There was another one of a muscular bloke in underpants!!! Said something about increasing your potential, or something like that. They were supposed to be sexual puns (Fine Gael you minxes). But god forbid someone might be upset by them.......

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

J1 poster also has a naked guy, with only a guitar covering his crotch and as mentioned the vote "Yes" Lisbon Treaty posters also have a male version of a man in boxers.
    Argument shattered. Match and point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

There was another one of a muscular bloke in underpants!!! Said something about increasing your potential, or something like that. They were supposed to be sexual puns (Fine Gael you minxes). But god forbid someone might be upset by them.......

Slightly off-topic, but my main problem with those posters would be the fact that they're fucking retarded, more so than the sexism

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

They were supposed to be sexual puns (Fine Gael you minxes). But god forbid someone might be upset by them.......
    The reason those Young Fine Gael posters annoy me is that they reduce an issue as important as the lisbon treaty to an issue of mellons and pants.

Furthermore it shows what YFG thinks about the ability of students to grasp political concepts. Do i really need glossy posters with stupid sexually juvenile subject matter to dumb the whole thing down to a level I can understand? No, because i'm not a retard. Warning: Treating people like idiots may backfire.

Exactly, they shouldn't have shown a man in underpants! How is that politically significant? They are undermining the ability of the every UCD student. Can we not read? It suggests that the students of UCD cannot comprehend political concepts without the use of nakedness! :p
    Raphael wrote: »
    Slightly off-topic, but my main problem with those posters would be the fact that they're fucking retarded, more so than the sexism

Agreed. On the same note however, the naked man with the guitar is a typical 'jack the lad', he is not sexualised. He simply looks like a drunken fool. It was a play on the guitar playing naked guy in New York. The woman in the J1 poster exposes most of her chest and if I remember correctly, is wearing a thong. She is instantly sexualised.
    ferdi wrote: »
    The reason those Young Fine Gael posters annoy me is that they reduce an issue as important as the lisbon treaty to an issue of mellons and pants.

Furthermore it shows what YFG thinks about the ability of students to grasp political concepts. Do i really need glossy posters with stupid sexually juvenile subject matter to dumb the whole thing down to a level I can understand? No, because i'm not a retard. Warning: Treating people like idiots may backfire.

+1 Exactly! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭WellCultured

Hmmm... I dunno, I can understand what you're saying and in this case maybe you're right but sexism in UCD is pretty rampant.

Theres a Lisbon treaty poster which has a buff guy in tight shorts on it, as a man do i care? no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Spraggs

women have more to them than looks.

They damn well better, given the absolute mutts speaking at the protest.

As for all the whinging about the man-dominated SU, I know for a fact that many of those behind the protest used to be big movers in the SU before moving on to their hard-left crap, it's just complaining for the sake of it, manipulating facts to support their bitter views.

Theres a Lisbon treaty poster which has a buff guy in tight shorts on it, as a man do i care? no.

No, why would you? You do not live in a female dominated society. You will most likely earn more than your future wife. You have less chance of being raped on campus than the female students and you are (I'd imagine) physically stronger than any woman on campus. Can you honestly tell me that UCD is totally free of sexism? Whether it is intentional or not, the University seems to be constantly wrapped up in some form of sexist controversy.

'Rappers and Slappers' anybody?
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,053 ✭✭✭BKtje

Exactly, they shouldn't have shown a man in underpants! How is that politically significant?
    It's not but it is intelligent in a way. Student's ain't generally known as the most caring when it comes to politics/voting so anything which helps bring their attention to it/ the poster is probably seen as a plus. I'm not saying i agree or disagree with the tactic but since it was aimed at both sexes it's hardly sexist which you did say.
    naked man with the guitar is a typical 'jack the lad', he is not sexualised
    Jack the lad? It's not the first thought that entered my head tbh. Guess we just coming at it from different directions.
    No, because i'm not a retard. Warning: Treating people like idiots may backfire.
    As most people who know me would know i have very little interest in politics. Yes i am interested in the treaty but it's more of a passing interest and while i will happily find some basic stuff about it before i vote posters like these may grab my attention. That said i havent seen em yet so can't really say.

This seems like a double post but i wrote the above earlier and forgot to post :p
    You will most likely earn more than your future wife.
    It's a bit silly to say that at this stage. Of course its possible but who knows what the future really holds. That said i do agree that it would be likely if they are equally skilled at the same job. That said i have no evidence to indicate that is the case today nor have i read anything to indicate that is infact the case, im going on my presumptions.
    You have less chance of being raped on campus than the female students and you are (I'd imagine) physically stronger than any woman on campus.
    Is this a sexism issue or just a depressing state of affairs? Physically stronger is not something that men can change...
    Can you honestly tell me that UCD is totally free of sexism?
    No i don't think anyone could claim that with a straight face. Infact there are very few areas where sexism (one way or the other) isn't ready to rear its head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Spraggs

No, why would you? You do not live in a female dominated society. You will most likely earn more than your future wife. You have less chance of being raped on campus than the female students and you are (I'd imagine) physically stronger than any woman on campus. Can you honestly tell me that UCD is totally free of sexism? Whether it is intentional or not, the University seems to be constantly wrapped up in some form of sexist controversy.

Don't think rape is the kind of sexism being discussed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

I think very few people here has copped on to what Panda's protest is about. I don't mind pagents, they're rediculous but hey. What I do have a problem with is the fact that the Union are promoting this, when it discriminates against most people in the college by not allowing them enter. The union is an equal opportunities employer and should thus act in such a manner. They help out mothers in college frequently, so why start publicising this crap. Throwing in the word charity shouldn't be a reason

I repeat THEY ARE NOT PROTESTING AGAINST THE PEOPLE ENTERING IT, THEY ARE PROTESTING AGAINST THE PEOPLE WHO WON'T LET THE REST ENTER, and the fact that the union is supporting this unequalness.

And the union are complete sheeps this year. Sabbats say jump and they're hurling themselves off the nearest building. 5 sabbats sticking together over a lousy decision made by one member, will rarely overthrow a different group of 5 people with different opinions. So most opinions made by council this year I think were made in defence against others.
    Grimes wrote: »
    Im with the Union on this one. This has obviously been in the works for a while and the entire SU council heard it
    I can tell you we didn't
    Blut wrote: »
    The sports analogy is spot on for men.

Men... men... men. Everythings brought back to men. What about female athletes?
    Peleus wrote: »
    Not trying to put anyone down but... the people who complain about these sort of events are usually the people that don't take part in them. The women that take part have no complaints. So who are you standing up for by complaining about this? The participants? They don't seem to mind it. Yourself? You obvioulsy didnt enter it.

Seems the only people who have a problem with this competition are those that don't fit the criteria to enter it. .......jealous much?

Some people can't enter it. They're complaining about the inequal opportunities of it all. And you've obviously never met Panda have you? Stop assuming you know everything

What I think everyone needs to ask themselves is, not if beauty pagents are right or wrong, but if its ok for a union to be the promoters of this beauty pagent when they've fought for years for womens rights and raised money for womens causes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Dori Duz

The original YFG poster before it was photoshopped.

enda-kenny-lisbon.jpg

(Take a look at www.greenink.blogspot.com for more hilarious versions of these posters. There's a great Angela Merkil one.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭WellCultured

Women having a higher chance of being raped has absolutely NOTHING to do with sexism. At all. And i can't exactly help being physically stronger!

B-K-DzR wrote: »
    This seems like a double post but i wrote the above earlier and forgot to post :p

It's a bit silly to say that at this stage. Of course its possible but who knows what the future really holds. That said i do agree that it would be likely if they are equally skilled at the same job. That said i have no evidence to indicate that is the case today nor have i read anything to indicate that is infact the case, im going on my presumptions.

Is this a sexism issue or just a depressing state of affairs? Physically stronger is not something that men can change...

No i don't think anyone could claim that with a straight face. Infact there are very few areas where sexism (one way or the other) isn't ready to rear its head.

Okay, I totally respect what you are saying and I know that taking future 'maybes' into the argument is weak but I'm just trying to show that UCD is doing nothing to help an issue that is already a plague in society. Don't get me wrong, I'm not what would be considered a die hard feminist. I have pretty liberal views on most things (though I admit, I'm pretty black and white about issues I'm very passionate about) but beauty contests mean very little to me. I just find them similar to viewing art in a gallery or looking at cars in a garage. This, as far as I am concerned is not a healthy practice due to the fact that the 'subjects' are actually real women and in this case, real, intelligent women. I take the very same view on male competitions. Of course it will happen regardless but I just can't see how it fits into an academic society. 'Miss UCD' is yet another UCD event that has caused sexist controversy. I am not insulting anybody in this thread and I am not insulting the contestants. I don't have much feeling for this issue in the first place as I think it's a waste of time and has an 'airhead' sentiment anyway. I'm just pointing out that, while it is ok to go ahead with the contest, it is equally ok to go ahead with protests against. I can see the merits and the dangers. That's all I meant to suggest.
    Spraggs wrote: »
    Don't think rape is the kind of sexism being discussed.

I know. You're right but I am just trying to show how constant exposure to women in a sexualised manner and the objectification of females can lead to desensitisation and in turn, cause an overall negative attitude against females. This is not the first time UCD has been questioned about sexist issues.

But yeah, I agree, rape is not directly involved in this particular case.

Well Cultured: I know, I explained it in my last post.
    Also, I know you can't help being stronger, I didn't intend to offend you. Sorry if I did. I was just trying to point out why a University may not be the ideal location for such a contest

• Advertisement

ou're right but I am just trying to show how constant exposure to women in a sexualised manner and the objectification of females can lead to desensitisation and in turn, cause an overall negative attitude against females.
    I'm not sure i agree that constant exposure to women in a sexualised manner increases a negative attitude to women or leads to more rapes (dunno if this is what you may have been implying in some shape or form, apologies if not).
    At least it hasn't done so in my case.

I do realise what Panda was protesting against (the rules rather than the event itself) and have already agreed that i don't agree with them (i know it wasn't aimed at me. This discussion isn't just about the protest though i thought. If it is then i've been a bit off topic ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭PennyLane

gubbie wrote: »
    What I think everyone needs to ask themselves is, not if beauty pagents are right or wrong, but if its ok for a union to be the promoters of this beauty pagent when they've fought for years for womens rights and raised money for womens causes?

So I've gone from being reflexively against the pageant to defensive of its right to be held to against it again, and my final reasoning is roughly the above. It's not so much that beauty pageants are inherently wrong or right, it's that the Student Union shouldn't be spending my money to hold one when there are better uses for the cash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 634 ✭✭✭nomorebadtown

PennyLane wrote: »
    It's not so much that beauty pageants are inherently wrong or right, it's that the Student Union shouldn't be spending my money to hold one when there are better uses for the cash.

yeah but you could say that about pretty much everything the SU spends your money on that dosnt benifit you or that you dont happen to approve of, but you dont. the reason you have a problem with this is because it is a beauty pagent. Lets not delude ourselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Spraggs wrote: »
    They damn well better, given the absolute mutts speaking at the protest.

As for all the whinging about the man-dominated SU, I know for a fact that many of those behind the protest used to be big movers in the SU before moving on to their hard-left crap, it's just complaining for the sake of it, manipulating facts to support their bitter views.
    Am loving spraggs views on this thread,highly amusing :D So far today Ive been called a pageant killjoy in the sun, told to get a life in the Times,a jealous spoilsport on spin, we might as well add mutt to that list as well :p
    gubbie wrote: »
    I repeat THEY ARE NOT PROTESTING AGAINST THE PEOPLE ENTERING IT, THEY ARE PROTESTING AGAINST THE PEOPLE WHO WON'T LET THE REST ENTER, and the fact that the union is supporting this unequalness.
    Thank you gubbie,that was exactly what the protest was about and as far as Im concerend the matter is closed as UCD will not be holding another beauty pageant on campus, particulalry not with vodafone and AIB sponsership anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭MuddyDog

who won Miss UCD last night anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,447 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

panda100 wrote: »
    Am loving spraggs views on this thread,highly amusing :D So far today Ive been called a pageant killjoy in the sun, told to get a life in the Times,a jealous spoilsport on spin, we might as well add mutt to that list as well :p

Thank you gubbie,that was exactly what the protest was about and as far as Im concerend the matter is closed as UCD will not be holding another beauty pageant on campus, particulalry not with vodafone and AIB sponsership anyways.

Aren't you just great, gold star for panda :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Walls wrote: »
    I would say that they have no idea how much they are reducing themselves by doing this. I would say that they will probably achieve a great deal in life, but it won't be by their beauty, and it won't be by entering this pageant.

Give me a break. Some pretty girls want to be pretty and do pageant-like things. UCDSU exploits this for the sake of charity. Some not-so-pretty girls want to do the same. Since so many comparisons have been made with the Miss UCD competition and sport, then lets look at it this way:

Hypothetically speaking, I am not stereotypically attractive, but I am beautiful in my own way. I enter the beauty pageant, a competition aimed at finding the prettiest of the stereotypically pretty contestants, but other competitors who are stereotypically more attractive get through the first round, and I don't. I'm annoyed, why should I be judged on my looks?

Now, hypothetically speaking, I am not particularly fantastic at hockey, but I understand the rules and can hold my own on a team. I try out for a team and I am not picked because those who ARE fantastic at hockey are chosen ahead of me. I'm annoyed, why should I not be given a chance?

Solution! Abortions for some, miniature American flags for others.

If you insist on making comparisons between sport and beauty pageants, then you have to look at them under the same conditions. If you don't meet the standard set by the people who run the competition, then should the competition be scrapped totally? Why yes for a beauty pageant and no for sport? Being constantly rejected for not being up to scratch where sport is concerned can be as damaging for your confidence as not being pretty enough for a pageant which is aimed at the few anyway. Could all the different types of modelling out there not be compared to all the different levels of sports? I can't see how using your attractiveness is less viable than using your ability to sing, or play sport, or cook, or think philosophically in order to make your way in the world. There's a Battle of the Bands competition in UCD, right? So that should be scrapped because it makes all the crappest bands feel self-conscious. There's a number of sports teams which demand exclusive play for UCD, which is an unfair requirement (much like the no-baby pageant one) exclusionary in a variety of ways. Those teams should be picked using a lottery system, it'd be a lot fairer. Otherwise they should all be scrapped too, why let the excellent excel and have those who don't have the required qualities feel belittled.

I'm just trying to figure out if Vainglory has any wood left from the bridge she built last year to lend some to others on this board.

is this trainwreck still going on, I have stopped reading when it becomes a man v woman thing again. Christ take it up with God. He made us and im tired of feeling like i should chop my penis off for the woes of feminity

PS: well done panda for bringing the Miss UCD fashion show unbelievable ammount of publicity

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭bren2002

I saw the girls on News2 the other night. Some lookers, some not and some that looked like WAG (ie supposed to be hot but actually IMO not really).

Looked like a fairly decent spread of types, ie. not all 'peroxide blonde', 'WAG' or 'Clones'

Seems pretty fair to me. If anyone has a link throw it up here.

Advertisement