Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Miss UCD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

Blush_01 wrote: »
    Give me a break. Some pretty girls want to be pretty and do pageant-like things. UCDSU exploits this for the sake of charity. Some not-so-pretty girls want to do the same...

...Solution! Abortions for some, miniature American flags for others.

QFT TBH

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭PennyLane

Grimes wrote: »
    is this trainwreck still going on, I have stopped reading when it becomes a man v woman thing again. Christ take it up with God. He made us and im tired of feeling like i should chop my penis off for the woes of feminity

Now now, we've moved on from the man-hating, I think. It's relatively safe to come back if you like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭irish.rugby.fan

MizzLolly wrote: »
    'Rappers and Slappers' anybody?
    :rolleyes:

Rappers and Slappers is one of UCD's best selling events for one reason only.

Girls love an excuse to get dressed up as a slut.

Nothing to do with sexism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

bren2002 wrote: »
    If anyone has a link throw it up here.

http://www.rte.ie/news/newsontwo/
    Its about 14 mins into Thursdays report .

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Peleus

Face it, men and women are different. Men and women are treated equal, theyre just not treated in the same way. The reason men don't get raped, is most of the gay/women rapists out there wouldn't try to rape a man, because men are stonger, NOT because rapists are sexist. The reason why very few women get jobs in the Fire Departement is NOT because the FD is full of sexist idiots, it's because men are generally better for the job. The reason why men generally don't get jobs in Hairdressing, is cos women are generally better at it, NOT because hairdressers are sexist.

The reason why women dress themselves up like 'slappers' is because they want to and men find it attractive. Not because they are forced to and because the event is sexist, but because if it were the men who had to dress up like 'slappers', i doubt many people would go.

You can get rid of all these "Rappers and Slappers" and "UCD fashion Show"s and stop the sexes being treated differently, but life in general like that would be sh!te. If you dont enjoy nights like that then just dont go. END OF STORY

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭MizzLolly

Peleus wrote: »
    The reason why men generally don't get jobs in Hairdressing, is cos women are generally better at it, NOT because hairdressers are sexist.

That's not true. Some of the worlds most famous hair stylists are men. Men generally make better hairdressers. Of course there are more female hairdressers, that's due to sexism! Male hairdressers are generally more successful!

I know it's irrelevant to Miss UCD, just pointing it out since you brought it up.

Rappers and Slappers is one of UCD's best selling events for one reason only.

Girls love an excuse to get dressed up as a slut.

No! Girls love an excuse to look sexy. Insecure girls who crave attention love an excuse to dress as sluts because they think they look sexy. That m'dear is due to the stereotypes being thrown around out there. The misconception that the more skin you show, the sexier you are oozes insecurity.

Dressing as a slut is not nescessarily sexy. You can look sexy without looking easy.

That's not true. Some of the worlds most famous hair stylists are men. Men generally make better hairdressers. Of course there are more female hairdressers, that's due to sexism! Male hairdressers are generally more successful!

I know it's irrelevant to Miss UCD, just pointing it out since you brought it up.

Yeah, I've gotten my best haircuts from men. Most of them straight men, too, for what it's worth.

My ex was a hairdresser.

He wasn't gay, womanising pr*ck! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

Miss UCD gets a good bit of space on today's Sunday Tribune. The winner is an absolute fox. I think Panda can be seen in a smaller pic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

To be fair, I wouldn't say the protestors are automatically unattractive.

I've seen a couple of the protestors through mutual friends and I'd personally find them very attractive and miles better looking that the peroxide oompa loompas who seem to flock to beauty contests.

I'd be all in favor for a Mr UCD pageant.
    Personally I'd be all in favor of a beauty pageant with minimal entry requirements. The big problem is that every single person has a different idea of beauty, pageants that exclude people for not adhering to a homogenised ideal are just retarded IMHO

I went to see a friend of mine in UCD on Friday and himself was fairly disparaging of the protest.

Or one I seen floating around today about giving your 'YES' vote to the Lisbon Treaty. Why did that notice need a picture of a pretty girl holding two huge melons up to her chest???

I agree with you there. What the hell was the point with that photo?
    Although admittedly, it was a good microcosm for the Lisbon Treaty:distracting people from the issues at hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

Face it, men and women are different. Men and women are treated equal, theyre just not treated in the same way. The reason men don't get raped, is most of the gay/women rapists out there wouldn't try to rape a man, because men are stonger, NOT because rapists are sexist. The reason why very few women get jobs in the Fire Departement is NOT because the FD is full of sexist idiots, it's because men are generally better for the job. The reason why men generally don't get jobs in Hairdressing, is cos women are generally better at it, NOT because hairdressers are sexist.

The reason why women dress themselves up like 'slappers' is because they want to and men find it attractive. Not because they are forced to and because the event is sexist, but because if it were the men who had to dress up like 'slappers', i doubt many people would go.

You can get rid of all these "Rappers and Slappers" and "UCD fashion Show"s and stop the sexes being treated differently, but life in general like that would be sh!te. If you dont enjoy nights like that then just dont go. END OF STORY
    /applause/love ya post:D

tbh,girls do LOVE to dress up!no particular reason.and get heavily hammered...no reason too...WHAT's the problem?

the protest make me laugh actually.so people are still in the age of 'oh look the miss UCD is a blonde,she must be doing some stupid low CAO points course'?

shallow and immature.

things look different in different people's eyes.skirt is sexism in the eyes of sexists.lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

MizzLolly wrote:
    Or one I seen floating around today about giving your 'YES' vote to the Lisbon Treaty. Why did that notice need a picture of a pretty girl holding two huge melons up to her chest??? .
    I agree with you there. What the hell was the point with that photo?
    Although admittedly, it was a good microcosm for the Lisbon Treaty:distracting people from the issues at hand.

Very well put.;)

ferdi wrote: »
    Very well put.;)

Curse your sarcasm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

seraphimvc wrote: »
    /applause/love ya post:D
    the protest make me laugh actually.so people are still in the age of 'oh look the miss UCD is a blonde,she must be doing some stupid low CAO points course'?
    l

Again. It wasn't a protest against the contestants. It was a protest against the unions involvement with it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭imarugbyball

panda100 wrote: »
    Theres leaflets around the place explaining our protestation. Basically ,we object to the unions involvment in what is a very sexist and exclusive event.
    Here are the rules for the 'competiton':

Each contestant:-

1) shall be of good character and possessed of charm poise personality and have beauty of face and figure

2) shall be a person whose background is not likely to bring into disrepute The Miss World Contest or Title or the Licensee or the Promoter or any person associated with them Posing for nude or semi nude pictures would be considered in this.

3) shall be a person :-

(i) who usually uses the prefix 'Miss' ( or eqivalent ) before her name

(ii) who has never been through any ceremony either valid or invalid and whether civil, religious or tribal which is recognized as a marriage ceremony in any part of the world

(iii) who has never given birth to a child

Each girl that enters must be a minimum of 5foot4inches

What sort of message Is this sending out to the majority of union membership (Ie. young females)?
    If your short your ugly?
    After you have a child your ugly?
    When you get married your no longer desirable?
    Only single,tall ,virgins are worthy to represnt UCD on a world stage! Its very offensive and is not a message that the union should be associating with.

A bit of craic is a table quiz or a karoke, having women show their bodies so their bum,thighs,breasts,face can be scrutinized by a whole load of men is not 'a bit of craic'. If you think it is then I urge you to come along tommorow and I will happily give you marks out of ten for your body shape and type. Its a 1 outside the arts block hope to see you there.

As for being 'democratically' voted down......Well, union council Is made up of a majority of young males I felt I would take my message to the real union membership,i.e a majority of young females. The support from students and staff has been overwhelming. If the union are trying to get more women inovled in the union,as they should be,they are going the wrong way about it.

Thats why we decided not to hold the protest at the venue itself. We do not want or wish to intimidate the women themselves who choose to enter this competiton. Our protest is at the outdated concept of Miss World itself. We also want to protest at the unions involvment and to show our disspointment they are supporting this sexist event while doing little to highlight womens issues on campus this year.

As for being for charity,it is not up to a student union to fund a completly underfunded part of the health service. Awarnness/treatment/research for primary Immunodeficiency disorders is completly underresourced in Ireland .If the union really cared about rasing money for underfunded parts of the health service then they should mobilise students to fight back against these cutbacks in our health service instead of running a beauty pageant which will raise an insignisficant amount for a very significant cause.

I urge all those who oppose sexism on campus and the unions involvment in this degrading event to come along tommorow at 1 outside the arts blcok. We have some excellent speakers form the Equality department and all in all It will be a thought-provoking,intresting,and fun event :)

Just want to make a very obvious point here:

Let's suppose we had a "MR UCD" competition. I following with the mr world,america,unoverse etc format it would be dudes with massive muscles that fit a certain stereotype. Ronny coleman and the like, right?Ronniecoleman.jpg

So say a ronnie-esque dude wins the competition, what does that say about him? Is he the most beautiful man in the world?
    Well ladies if you would rather **** him than say, johhny depp or chadmichealmurray or whoever then you would be in a minority but chad wouldnt even QUALIFY for a Mr. Universe Paegent.

And does it make him a good person?, if he won would it seal him in as a man to be respected, would we judge his character by it?

Female beauty pagents are not about the BEAUTY as in inner and outer or worth of a contestant. They mesure, liek the Mr Universe ones, how well a person fits a certain stereotype or whatever.

Complaining about this is the same as complaining about a bodybuilding competition, or even a swimming race or a marathon. People in these competions use their genetics and training and diet to conform to a certain stereotype (runner's body, rugby player, weightlifter etc) . People then compete with like minded individuals to validate their efforts, or whatever.

The girl who wins will probably not be the most beautiful, or the most intelligent, but that is not the point, she will be the best at beauty pagents and nothing more.

If you feel it is unhealthy or whatever then look at the rate of steroid abuse in bodybuilding, sudden heart failure in weightlifting etc. sacrifice for competition.

Not letting people compete in their favourite type of competition is limiting their freedom and chance at happiness. I feel you are pulling up the issue precicely because is is a female event, i doubt a mr ucd would cause as much controversy. You are limiting freedom of expression on the basis of gender here........is there a word for that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

Curse your sarcasm

Nope, not a bit of sarcasm, i agree with you 100%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Id like to reply to all the comments but tbh I think If hear the words Miss UCD one more time il scream! The media blew the whole thing out of proportion last week and completly warped the intentions of last Thursdays demo,as gubbie keeps saying :) .
    I feel you are pulling up the issue precicely because is is a female event, i doubt a mr ucd would cause as much controversy. You are limiting freedom of expression on the basis of gender here........is there a word for that?

Just to reiterate cos the Mr Universe/UCD thing keeps coming up. If there was an SU sponsered Mr UCD we would oppose it because I wouldnt like to see men coming under the same pressures women are regards apperance. Also theres no ban, as far as I know, against fathers entering the Mr universe/Mr Ireland competiton. The Miss Ireland/universe organiser said on the radio the other day that mothers are banned because If they won they would have to travel and would be very busy so it wouldnt be very motherly to leave your child at home. Mr universe has to travel to,so its okay for him to work and leave the child at home but not the mother?Once again completly reinforcing the idea that women have to say at home and mind the kids. Miss Ireland/UCD feeds into the reality that once your pregnant and have children your screwed as your not only undesirable but your also unemployable too. The union shouldnt be supporting a franchise that promotes this extremely archaic message in its rules.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/main.jhtml?xml=/money/2005/11/26/cbview26.xml
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2005/nov/25/workandcareers.genderissues

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭simonrooneyzaga

would it be acceptable for me to dress up in drag and enter the competition?

Not letting people compete in their favourite type of competition is limiting their freedom and chance at happiness. I feel you are pulling up the issue precicely because is is a female event, i doubt a mr ucd would cause as much controversy. You are limiting freedom of expression on the basis of gender here........is there a word for that?

the words sexism right? :)

good post

• Advertisement

148963.jpg

Just to reiterate cos the Mr Universe/UCD thing keeps coming up. If there was an SU sponsered Mr UCD we would oppose it because I wouldnt like to see men coming under the same pressures women are regards apperance.

you cant paint the sexes with the same brush. generally men who watch Mr. Universe don't start feeling inadequate. They're not under pressure because they generally don't care. You never see men going on diets and weight training binges just cos they saw Mr.Universe's perfect washboard abs. There are exceptions tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,404 ✭✭✭Goodluck2me

The Miss Ireland/universe organiser said on the radio the other day that mothers are banned because If they won they would have to travel and would be very busy so it wouldnt be very motherly to leave your child at home. Mr universe has to travel to,so its okay for him to work and leave the child at home but not the mother?Once again completly reinforcing the idea that women have to say at home and mind the kids.

Yeah because everyone knows that women and men have exactly the same roles in the household, and should be treated equally - how many men as a matter of interest breast feed? oh...

Wow. wp.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

gubbie wrote: »
    Again. It wasn't a protest against the contestants. It was a protest against the unions involvement with it
    wops,sorry about that:D but generally saying protest to a pageant means something like that...

i do too feel abit unpleasant when i see the line about the height thingy - unwise act from them,no short girls will want to enter anyway.

i say people dont really need to complicated stuffs sometimes.if you dont like it ,partly or completely ,just avoid it.end of story.

Come to think of it, regarding the height restriction, that could be because the winner gets a one year modeling contract and the agency won't accept girls under 5'4", so if a girl that short won she couldn't get her prize. Not that it's fair, but it's practical on the part of the pageant organizers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭fatal

Now that a miss UCD has been crowned,does anyone have pics of the eyecandy?;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

I hear she's not Irish and thus can't enter Miss Ireland, which kinda makes the whole thing pointless...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭fatal

Shes from law and her name is Ana something.I don't care about the brains,I just wanna see the eye candy.I say UCD should stick her in a mini-skirt and low cut top,and parade her around campus;)
    If your one sitting opposite me in the library today is not miss UCD,then this Ana girl must be some serious quality

• Advertisement

fatal wrote: »
    Now that a miss UCD has been crowned,does anyone have pics of the eyecandy?;)

surely someone?

Advertisement