Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

vista taking ages to unlock

• 15-04-2008 9:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭

each night before i go home i lock my pc ( Windows key + L). The next day when i hit CTRL+ALT+DEL to get the unlock/login screen, it can take my pc up to 35 mins to display the login screen.

the pc is not frozen as the mouse pointer moves. I notice that hard disk activity is through the roof ( i can see the little HD light on my pc and hear it clicking away).

I have stopped any un-necessary startup services in msconfig, and have updated my vista fully using windows update.

any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,961 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Tried running a defrag yet? Disk Cleanup? Scandisk?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,379 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Try running CCleaner? (it probably won't fix problem, but it's handy to have)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

you say each night when you go home? so this is a pc @ work?
    Do you have the same problem when you start up the pc and log-in?
    Also what applications are running when the pc is locked if any?
    you also say pc so it's not a laptop i assume?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

try in safe mode, to see how it compares to normal mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭fguihen

it was a really odd issue. i could lock my pc during the day for an hour or two at a time, but if i locked it overnight it just took ages to let me log back in. i went through the error logs and i believe it was a problem with usb, but there were a few issues in the error logs and rather than just spend hours fixing them all, i dont a backup of my data and flattened and rebuilt the machine. all good again.

• Advertisement
Advertisement