Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lawnmower Servicing

• 15-04-2008 9:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi Folks

I have a petrol lawnmower in dire need of a service.
    Anyone know of somewhere I can bring it, in Dublin west/south area?
    I rang the only place I know and they stated €65 minimum, possibly more depending on parts. I felt I was going to be ripped off...is that a fair price?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

unfortunately, that seems to be the going rate. just had mine serviced, sharpened, oil change, new spark plug etc... 69 euros:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 rocker1974

thanks for your reply.
    looks like that is the going rate.
    where did you get yours done?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

unfortunately, that seems to be the going rate. just had mine serviced, sharpened, oil change, new spark plug etc... 69 euros:(
    I'm in the wrong business. I serviced my mower yesterday, cost me €8 for oil and plug and ten minutes with an angle grinder.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭mazza

bmaxi wrote: »
    I'm in the wrong business. I serviced my mower yesterday, cost me €8 for oil and plug and ten minutes with an angle grinder.

Nice bit of timing as I was actually looking at servicing my mower as its running a bit rough.

Anyone know where's the best place to get replacement spark plugs (a car garage?) and the correct mower oil (a larger DIY shop maybe?) Any tips welcome.

Is there anything else which should be done apart from replacing the spark plug, draining and refilling oil and sharpening the blades?

Thanks in advance.

mazza wrote: »
    Nice bit of timing as I was actually looking at servicing my mower as its running a bit rough.

Anyone know where's the best place to get replacement spark plugs (a car garage?) and the correct mower oil (a larger DIY shop maybe?) Any tips welcome.

Is there anything else which should be done apart from replacing the spark plug, draining and refilling oil and sharpening the blades?

Thanks in advance.

Depends on the machine you have and how competent you are but I'll assume you have a standard rotary mower. Basically, yes thats enough. There are some tweaks that can be done to cables and carburettor but unless you know what you're doing, best to leave them alone. Give it a good clean, especially under the deck and tighten all nuts and bolts, treat any rust spots and lubricate. If you don't intend to use it for a while drain any petrol out of it and run it 'til it cuts out. You'll get all the stuff you need in Woodies, B+Q etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

rocker1974 wrote: »
    thanks for your reply.
    looks like that is the going rate.
    where did you get yours done?

sorry for not responding sooner but was away for a few days, had it done at lawmower plus in mount merrion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

bmaxi wrote: »

You should've said you balanced the blade too though before people go on a mission with grinders n stuff

bushy... wrote: »
    You should've said you balanced the blade too though before people go on a mission with grinders n stuff
    Indeed, apologies. Balance the blade. Do this by placing the blade of a screwdriver through the central hole, hold it upright and spin, grinding a little more off the heavy side until it spins on a level plane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 660 ✭✭✭punchestown

Anybody know anywhere on the northside that does a service please?

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭DrivingsCool

Just had my push mower serviced. The original fella that used to do it charged 70euro but found a new lad based in blanchardstown and sandymount that changes oil, spark plugs, cleans filter, shapens blades for 35euro. He cut grass too, 5 euro for the small garden!! I know it sounds way to cheap - but he did for 5 euro, so had to post it on here, as must be the biggest bargain in ireland yet.

PM me for his number.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭John32c

Hi there

Can you send me the no of the guy in Sandymount/Blancharstown that services the mowers?

Thanks
    John

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭BlazingSaddler

Hi there,

Could you mail me the name & number of the guy in Blanch please?

Many thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1 kcar11

Petrol lawnmower has stopped working....it's a good make and only 4 years old...Briggs-Stratten....can anyone recommend aplace to get it repaired/serviced in the Lucan area?
    Many thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭iba

Hi,

Likewise, can someone provide me with a name/address/phone number of the guy in Blanch, please and thank you?

Regards

Iba

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭kasper

anyone here know what grade of oil for a 3.5hp briggs and straton engined mower cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭iba

kasper wrote: »
    anyone here know what grade of oil for a 3.5hp briggs and straton engined mower cheers

Kasper,

Im not 100% sure, but maye its 4 Stoke Engine Oil - thats what i use on a briggs and straton anyway.

Regards

Iba

• Registered Users Posts: 17 NOELER

provide me with a name/address/phone number of the guy in Blanch, please and thank you?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 SKemp40

Hi DrivingsCool / anyone who got the contact for the guy in Blanchardstown
    Any chance you could PM me his number. Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

http://www.adverts.ie/business-servi...vice-s/1517845

i used this guy about a month ago. came back like new. he picks them up and drops them back. he gave it a full service and even did a good bit of welding on it to fix a wheel and a handle issue. cant recomend him enough. 65 quid for the lot and it is working like a charm.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

SKemp40 wrote: »
    Hi DrivingsCool / anyone who got the contact for the guy in Blanchardstown
    Any chance you could PM me his number. Thanks

Theres a lawnmower and chainsaw service centre beside Ratoath Garden centre.

Hes very good.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 SKemp40

Thanks willufeboy but link does not seem to work- any chance you could pm me the phone number please

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

kasper wrote: »
    SAE 30 oil is what they use, anything like car oil will end up costing you an engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 CiaranThomas

Hi

Does anyone have the number of the 'Sandymount' guy mentioned above.

Thanks

Advertisement