Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

O2 Mobile Broadband - Problems in Kildare Area???

Options
  • 15-04-2008 11:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Hi,

I have had O2 Mobile broadband since January with out any problems. Since Friday afternoon I have not being able to get anymore then an Edge Signal (Which is pretty mucy useless). When I first rang O2 they checked the mast near me (Kildare town) and said there didn't seem to be problem but they would log an issue and get back to me. They rang me back after a couple of hours stating there was a problem with the mast and it should be fixed by Saturday. i have being checking on and off over the last couple of days and still I am getting no more then 1 or 2 bars on EDGE.

Like I said previously my signal and speeds where great so just wondering if anyone else has had any problems and will I get the speed back!

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭JMURPHY3

I aint a native of Kildare, but I use mine in Maynooth and from time to time mine has gone real slow even today it was stalling,still the modem is going between light and dark blue.When I log in I just get edge signal and after aabout 20 mins signal improves.Say it is only temporary...........:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭KStaford

Hi joleen100

I have identical probelms to you. I live about 5 miles north of Boyle on the N4 to Sligo. 3g down now for the past 3 weeks. After many emails and complaints, they have advised that they identified a problem with mast and it should now be back ok. It's not !

Also, their EDGE service is awful. It is effectively the same as dialup. I just timed loading boards.ie main page and it took 57 seconds from start to finish.

o2 have become more and more unreliable in recent months. 3g regularly goes down and at peak times, the network is so slow, it is often unusable. This time they have now left me without service for 3 weeks now.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

If you are getting dialup speeds then the cell does not do EDGE, or is too busy and reverting to GPRS (which is dialup speed).

Mast sectors have limited capacity and voice calls (the real money earner) have bandwidth priority.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭KStaford

watty

I am connecting on EDGE, I am actually getting 4 bars signal. But this translates to a throughput of 4-5KB when you try to download a file. Web browsing is very very slow. This is even worse during evening peak times. O2 have all sorts of problems with their service including poor DNS.

Like all broadband services, o2's EDGE does not do what it says on the tin.

Another example of this, last week, I actually got in my car, drove up to my local mast, parked up and got 5 bars 3g. I downloaded a file and the speed ranged form 20-40KB.

So yes, I am connecting on EDGE, the problem is so is everyone else. Then there's the problem of distance and reliability etc. For example, I notice when browsing on edge, it stops every few minutes, your browser freezes sometimes for 5 minutes before continuing.

Let's face it, Mobile networking (it's not broadband) is pretty dam awful. You response to me may be that I am expecting too much, or that I should not consider it as an alternative to broadband. But I simply have no choice. It's all I have !

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Mullins07

I have posted before, but to re-iterate, I have full signal HSDPA on O2.

This never changes, ever.

What does change despite this, is the internet connection, which disconnects entirely.

O2 will tell you they are sending radio ops to check it out, but this is a fob off.
    The radio signal is fine, the issue is that since February, they have overloaded their system with mobile broadband users.

I don't know how or when they intend to increase the capacity, but don't hold your breath. They are progressing just like Three Mobile Broadband did last summer.

Mobile Broadband is only awful when it is implemented outside the capabilities of the technology. In this case by overloading the system. This network was perfect until February.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 kidlad

I have been having the same problem......

I live fairly close to an 02 mast, and have been getting full service HSDPA, everything has been fine and been using it succsessfully over the past month, then all of a sudden yesterday the modem kept disconnecting every few minutes when browsing, i phoned customer care and they told me that a lot of people had been phoning in with the same problem, and that they were putting it down to windows automatic updates??. Surely this cannot be the cause..... Anyway the guy from customer care told me that he would log the complaint and gave me a reference number, he then said a member of staff would contact me within 5 days to verify as to wether or not it was a fault with their network.
    Hopefully this is the case and they will get it sorted soon, otherwise i will be cancelling my contract!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭fatboymsport

there are digiweb signs up around kildare town now does that mean all the services digiweb provide are available in and around the town ????

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

It means at least two Digiweb services are available, Digiweb Two Way Satellite AND:

DSL, and/or FWA 3.5GHz, and/or Metro and/or Business Wireless

I think it's unlikely Digiweb Fibre or Digiweb Mobile is available in Kildare, yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭fatboymsport

how up to date it the digiweb site i am hoping it is metro in the area as i am on the very edge of dsl coverage and dont think it is worth getting a phone line for.

can you tell me if it is metro in kildare town.

Advertisement