Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MPC question and also Access Virus, Logic Studio, Liquidmix, Roland Fantom X6

Options
  • 15-04-2008 12:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

Lads what is the story with MPC's any users use them. I was thinking of getting an MPC5000 for some hip hop and dance style production.

I am an advanced Reason user and can get most things out of that. Do you think that an MPC would bring anything more than a trigger finger attached to a computer. Please list the benifits rather than mystical it just sounds better comments.

See my add on adverts for the above studio clearout.

Some top gear and all in shop condition with warranty etc.

Cheers,

Baz

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭ogy

i thought about getting an mpc for ages but in the end got ram+Korg padKontrol
    definitely made the right decision i think.
    i honestly don't think an mpc can do anything a computer with ableton+battery can't.
    its just a sequencer, and obviously the interface is gonna be limited compared to a computer.
    the advantages i guess would be stability, sturdiness, portability, and the possibilities that the a/d converters have some mystical hip hop mojo (though this is highly doubtful:)).
    its not like its a vintage synth with a special sound or anything.

padKontrol all the way tbh
    Check out this guys videos:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Stray411

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

i have an mpc4000 and i love it

use it mainly as a sequencer tho, moreso than actually using it for what it was made for

ogy wrote: »
    its just a sequencer

its really really not "just a sequencer" its a seriously bad ass sampler too

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭ogy

yeh obviously its a sampler too:) i just meant it doesn't have any specific sounds that are its own.

is there a digital vintage yet? like a "classic" a/d conversion:)
    "ah man, the sound of those m-boxes was savage, not like your modern wireless nano-carbon-rod based interfaces, they had a certain warmth yeknow?"
    - Some guy in the future

ogy wrote: »
    yeh obviously its a sampler too:) i just meant it doesn't have any specific sounds that are its own.

well, its swing sounds like an mpcs swing

but yeh its not a tone generator, but im sure the guy asking is aware of this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

Helix wrote: »
    well, its swing sounds like an mpcs swing
    the mpc groove templates have been available for most sequencers since groove templates have been available for most sequencers.

realistically can't see the point in getting an mpc. Hardware like an mpc is highly over-rated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

jtsuited wrote: »
    realistically can't see the point in getting an mpc. Hardware like an mpc is highly over-rated.

The major benefit of it that I can see is the actual workflow the UI of the unit promotes - plenty of tactile feedback, rock solid OS and fairly 'human' compared to dragging and clicking in a DAW. There's a reason about 90% of hip-hop is made on such units, and why about 90% of non-breaks orientated genres use just aboutanything else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

jimi_t wrote: »
    The major benefit of it that I can see is the actual workflow the UI of the unit promotes - plenty of tactile feedback, rock solid OS and fairly 'human' compared to dragging and clicking in a DAW. There's a reason about 90% of hip-hop is made on such units, and why about 90% of non-breaks orientated genres use just aboutanything else.

+1
    They sound great too if you have a decent mixer or front end...

Advertisement