Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Qaradawi at Clonskeagh Mosque?

• 15-04-2008 1:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭

After the controversy about Yusuf al-Qaradawi (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yusuf_al-Qaradawi) being banned entry to the UK, I was astonished in my googling to come across this (note it's from the Guardian, hardly a bastion of Islam-bashing:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2007/jan/14/religion.ireland
    Satardien fell out with the main Dublin mosque at Clonskeagh, singling out the influence of Yusuf al-Qaradawi, an Egyptian born sheikh who has spoken openly in support of suicide bombers and issued fatwas on gays.

According to Satardien, al-Qaradawi's European headquarters is based at the Clonskeagh mosque in south Dublin. Its own website refers to al-Qaradawi and to Clonskeagh as the headquarters of the sheikh's European Council for Fatwa and Research. The authorities at the Clonskeagh mosque and at the South Circular Road mosque, the other main establishment in Dublin, angrily deny the extremist accusation. They point out that these mosques attract thousands of mainstream Muslims to their doors each week.

Any ideas why the mosque should support this man and his group (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Council_for_Fatwa_and_Research) - which despite it's name, has a majority of non-Europeans on it? A man with his beliefs doesn't seem to me to be best-placed to bring together Muslims and non-Muslims in Europe.

P.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Well, they shouldn't support him of course. He shouldn't even be allowed in the country at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Hero Of College

Is he in the Country???? Has he been to the Mosques??? Has he spoken to people at these Mosques???

If the answer to any of these questions are yes, the Police should be involved, quietly and with all due sensitivity.

Is he in the Country???? Has he been to the Mosques??? Has he spoken to people at these Mosques???

If the answer to any of these questions are yes, the Police should be involved, quietly and with all due sensitivity.

He was here over a year ago. He isn't here now and he shouldn't be allowed in the country again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

I have no problem with al-Qaradawi coming into the country to speak, unless he is found to have commited a crime here, such as incitement to racial hatred. I'm pretty much a freedom of expression absolutist.

However, what I do have a problem with is that this man, who has extreme views which I assume (and hope) do not match those of most European muslims, appears to be attempting to portray himself up as the head of Europe's muslims, and the Clonskeagh mosque appears to be giving legitimacy to him and to his council. I'm attempting to understand why.

P.

oceanclub wrote: »
    However, what I do have a problem with is that this man, who has extreme views which I assume (and hope) do not match those of most European muslims, appears to be attempting to portray himself up as the head of Europe's muslims, and the Clonskeagh mosque appears to be giving legitimacy to him and to his council. I'm attempting to understand why.

P.

I don't think anyone from there posts here, so I doubt we will get answer on that. Still I would also like to know why they even talking to someone like Qaradawi.

• Advertisement
Advertisement